Aladdin 1A

Discussion in 'Lamp Action Gallery' started by Greenboy23, May 12, 2020.

1. Greenboy23

Greenboy23 United Kingdom Subscriber

2. JEFF JOHNSON

JEFF JOHNSON United Kingdom Subscriber

It's working well!:thumbup:

3. AussiePete

AussiePete United States Subscriber

@Greenboy23
    Well done, she’s running very well.
    These are good reliable lanterns that give years of service.
    Cheers
    Pete

4. Paul Aslanides

Paul Aslanides Australia Subscriber

I'm desperate for leather pump cups for both an Aladin 1A and an Australian Handi lantern.
    I'm hoping Fettlebox has them. Pump tubes are 5/8 " internal diameter. What to ask or search for ?
    Thanks.

5. Greenboy23

Greenboy23 United Kingdom Subscriber

Hi Paul,have you tried TW Sands in Oz,
    Lee

6. podbros

podbros United Kingdom Subscriber

Tilley pump cup is 5/8" 16mm but not sure what size the Aladdin pump rod is ??

7. Paul Aslanides

Righto. Will do. Thanks.

8. AussiePete

AussiePete United States Subscriber

I’m sure that a Tilley leather cup will fit an Aladdin 1A pump rod. I actually replaced the leather pump cup on my Aladdin 1A today with a Tilley leather.
    Cheers
    Pete

9. Paul Aslanides

Thanks for that - I'll check it out. Not sure if I have a Tilley leather cup to hand, but I do need to buy some.
    I tried an Austramax pump in the Aladin today, results inconclusive as it's just a bare font without NRV or anything. The internal diameter of the tubes is about the same 16.9 - 17.0 m/m, depends how you hold your mouth and the calipers, never get the same reading twice. ( The pump cap did not quite suit the Aladin tube either). The Austramax uses a simple ' O ' ring instead of a leather cup, and I thought the O ring may be a little loose in the Aladin tube. Will try again as work progresses.
    I recall shock, horror, surprise years ago when a Rega pump kit came with a flat washer instead of a leather cup. And after installation it worked so well ! So if O rings, flat washers, and neoprene cups are so good, why can't we convert our old items to modernity ? And let's have 'em in Viton, too. Ah, it's the nostalgia of ye olde leather cup. No one sees inside the pump barrel. I had both Austramax lanterns serviced at the factory here in Brunswick, Vic. many years ago, which would explain why they are the most reliable of all my lanterns. The older one I expected to find a leather cup on the pump which would power up the Aladin, but somewhere during its lifetime it's been modernised with an O ring, and I don't mind one bit.
    Which reminds me of time spent in a factory assembling thousands of hand pumps to pump water into the sinks of caravans etc. They used a neoprene cup, of a bigger diameter, and pumped in both directions of the stroke. For liquids other than water we used a Viton cup. And there are some bicycle pumps which also claim to pump air in both directions also. Not that we necessarily need that luxury for our purposes. I doff my hat to those hardy and ingenious souls who make their own pump cups.
    Rambling on, one of our assembly persons in that factory changed his part of the assembly process and I didn't pick up the fault until a few thousand pumps were packed, waiting in despatch. Upshot was that he had to unpack and disassemble all those pumps and close properly the rivet securing the one-way (flap) valve, then reassemble and repack them. Trouble was, some faulty ones got through, and the boss found later that our pumps were being copied in a certain foreign country. So I was sent to a local camping supply shop to purchase one of the cloned imports, and sure enough it was well copied, right down to the loose rivet which was failing to hold the valve in place ! Nice packaging, though. I took it back for a refund. We felt safe for a little while longer.....though I copped black looks and nastiness for a week afterwards for having found a fault which rendered our product useless. Labelled a 'dobber' too. Sheesh! The mentality. The pumps eventually went overseas and the factory closed. And the brass tube, rod and bar we used, well it came from overseas as well, and one could never be sure of what one had - quarter hard ? half hard ? free machining ? Can't send it back. I'm pretty sure that production of brass has ceased in Australia, long ago. The fun we had with the aluminium tube, after anodising, is another story. Makes you think: ''Hey! Wanna swap a bushel of barley for bundle of brass ?'' Sorry to have gone off on a tangent. I see the Handi is going dim, must go pump it up. Cheers.

10. Tony Press

Tony Press Australia Subscriber

Stinkpot Bay, Howden, Tasmania, Australia
    @Paul Aslanides

Over the years I’ve converted my stoves and lanterns that came with O-rings to leather pump cups (except for collectible NOS). Why? Because the leather is more reliable and serviceable in use. The O-rings don’t last as long and can’t be easily adjusted as they wear.

The Aladdin pump cup should be the same diameter as a Primus-type No1 or 5 stove, as the Aladdin A1 is a copy of the Radius 119. I’m sure the Austramax will be a bit too small.

I think I’ve got a couple of Aladdin NOS pump cups in the shed if you want one. I’ll check in the morning.

Cheers

Tony

11. Paul Aslanides

The O-rings don’t last as long and can’t be easily adjusted as they wear.
    I’m sure the Austramax will be a bit too small.
    I think I’ve got a couple of Aladdin NOS pump cups in the shed if you want one. I’ll check in the morning.
    Cheers. Tony.

Understood. Thank you. Yes, I'm desperate for a cup for the Aladin. That would be wonderful.
    I have a cup, with feathered edge and brass insert, sitting in neatsfoot oil, but it doesn't seem to get supple, still too hard, and is too big / difficult to get into a Coleman pump tube. One from Fettlebox, nice soft leather, went in easily, with some oil. It's taking almost two months for parcels from the U.K. at present. Paul.

12. Paul Aslanides

Thanks, Lee, but T.W. Sands are mostly closed lately, due to the virus. I rang today, but no answer.
    No return call last week either. It's so difficult for any business lately. Paul.

13. Tony Press

@Paul Aslanides

I measure the pump tube diameter of the Austramax at 17mm and the Aladdin as just under 18mm.

I’ve got two pump cups that are suitable for the Aladdin if you PM me with your details.

Tony

14. Paul Aslanides

Sorry, I don't know what PM is, nor how to use it, nor how to contact any member of this forum off line.
    Can do bank transfer to cover your cost. Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator: May 16, 2020
  15. Tony Press

I’ll call...

16. Damien

Damien Australia Subscriber

G'day Tony. Trust you're well.
    Just wondering the OD of leather for 1A Aladdin cup? I'm looking to make some out of leather split.
    Whilst on the subject, is the OD the same for the Veritas?
    Cheers.

17. Tony Press

@Damien

16mm - the diameter of the pump tube.

You can make a good fitting pump cup by cutting the correct diameter circle; punching the correct hole in the centre; soaking it in metho; putting it unshaped, rough side down on the pump plunger and fitting it into the pump tube until it dries. Then pull it out, turn it around, soak it in neats foot oil; and Robert's your father's brother.

Cheers

Tony

18. Damien

I've been cutting mine at 24mm diameter so a "cup" is formed. Just wondering at 16mm whether a bucket/cup formation would occur???

19. Damien

Sorry Tony... the above comment was sent without fully appreciating what you'd written. All good.
    Bloody neatsfoot oil is about as rare as snake oil!!! It used to be everywhere.

20. Tony Press

Then use engine oil.

Tony