Aladdin Ideal

Discussion in 'Aladdin' started by Carlsson, Apr 28, 2011.

1. Carlsson

Carlsson Sweden Admin/Founder Member

An indoor paraffin lamp from Aladdin, rated 250 CP in a catalogue from 1911.
    It probably dates from the years around 1910.
    Aladdin was founded in 1905, but disappeared as a freestanding company as early as 1913 when AB Lux managed to buy the entire stock as a result of a patent feud Aladdin lost in favour for AB Lux.
    Unfortunately Aladdin stayed as a subsidiary under Lux with its own name, so it's not to be absolute certain that an item from Aladdin must be from the period 1905-13. It might date a few years later.

Aladdin plagiarized freely many things from Lux (hence the lost dispute), and the tank for this lamp is no exception.
    Apart from sheer looks, It also has the same separate high pressure compartment for the air and a very "Lux-alike" combined bleeder/regulator valve.
    The high pressure compartment shall be filled with around 6 bars of air, and that will last a long time since the lamps only use around the regular 1,5.
    The fuel compartment is vented to the atmosphere when the regulator key is turned to the "OFF"-position.
    When turning it to "ON", the fuel compartment will be sealed off from the atmosphere and the regulator valve will instead apply a well regulated pressure of the mentioned 1,5 atm from the high pressure part of the tank.
    It works like a charm!

The mantle I used in one of the pictures is actually meant for a Lux Inverella, but I put it there to show that they used the same size for the ceramic ring. The mantle for this Aladdin should probably be a bit longer though.

In the third thumbnail you can see the attachment for the fuel feed, the little funnel with its lid where you pour the preheating meths and since I removed the covering plate also the jet pointing upwards to the mixing chamber.
    Unfortunately the cleaning needle mechanism is missing (it should be attached where you see a plate with four threaded holes).
    1304016969-aladdin1.jpg

1304016969-aladdin1.jpg 1304016979-aladdin2.jpg 1304016998-aladdin4.jpg 1304017005-aladdin3.jpg 1304017018-aladdintank.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 1, 2017
  2. pete sav

pete sav Founder Member

Great looking lamp there Christer like the wired globe too

pete

3. JEFF JOHNSON

JEFF JOHNSON United Kingdom Subscriber

Hello Christer, that's a great find! :thumbup: Jeff.

4. karli

karli Subscriber

Great stuff

5. Conny C

Conny C Sweden Subscriber

Great lamp Christer! Is the glass globe the original one? Looks nice with the "wire net"!

/Conny

6. Carlsson

Carlsson Sweden Admin/Founder Member

Thanks guys!
    Yes the wired globes look nice. Most Swedish lamps with a hanging globe used a wire netting to secure them to the globe ring.

The best thing with this lamp is the well working tank that I like to use on the other old Swedish lamps of this kind.

Conny, I'm pretty sure it's the correct glass. But it can of course have been replaced with a spare glass at some occasion.
    The lamp in the catalogue from 1911 seems to have a clear - or atleast semi transparent - glass, but one single illustration doesn't mean that they not also were available in opal. And since the lamp is classified as an indoor model, I would think that they should prefer it.