Alcohol lamp help please!

Discussion in 'Open Forum' started by CrazyCamperGreg, Feb 14, 2018.

1. CrazyCamperGreg

CrazyCamperGreg Subscriber

IMG_20180214_4935.jpg IMG_20180214_58232.jpg

Anyone know who made this? About what year? What type of mantle does it take?

I don't know much about alcohol lamps. Only have this one and a Tito Landi. I have made mantles to at least run them but it would be nice to have the correct mantles that belong on them.

2. Martin K.

Martin K. Subscriber

That could be a small german "Geniol 750" alchohol mantle lamp. It was made up to the 1970's. You can find some information about it on the Hytta page (in german language only). I think there are no spares or mantles to obtain any more.

3. Erik Leger

Erik Leger Germany Subscriber

Right in the Middle of Nowhere, S. Germany.
    Yes, it is a alcohol mantle light, also sold as "Geniol 750", most likely made by Meyer & Niss for Heinze.
    Mantles are not available any more, I met a collector who had a few but these went away. So you need to make your own mantles for these lamp.
    They work very well and give a nice and light.
    Where did you find these? So far I did not think the US were the place to look for such lamps.

Erik
    here is some more information to be found: Forum Petroleum · Kompetent und unterhaltsam · Rund um alles was glüht, brennt oder qualmt·Seit 2000

4. CrazyCamperGreg

CrazyCamperGreg Subscriber

Thanks for the information!

I found this on eBay years ago. I believe it was in the USA though.

Does anyone have a picture of what the mantle should look like?

5. Martin K.

Martin K. Subscriber

The mantle should almost look like what you have on your photo.
    The original mantles are blown into shape and hardened with a special kind of gas burner, but that's very difficult and I don't know anybody who could do this in a professional way nowadays.