An eBay seller's logic

Discussion in 'Fettling Forum' started by ColinG, Nov 13, 2020.

1. JEFF JOHNSON

JEFF JOHNSON United Kingdom Subscriber

My packing method for glass is as follows.

I put a sufficient amount of bubble wrap inside the glass and several layers of it around the outside, making sure that the excess at the ends is tucked into the inside of the glass and I then tape the packing in place.

I then place the glass into a well padded box, but I always leave a little room for movement, because compression will also break the glass, then the box gets taped up.

The first box is then placed into a much larger padded box which is also taped and sealed.

This method is for a cylinder glass, but I use the same basic method for all types of glasses, shades, globes and chimneys.

So far, there has only been one breakage and that was one small globe for a hurricane lamp.

2. WimVe

WimVe Subscriber

For complete lanterns I always point to my website article: Lanterns on the move.
    To which I add: EMPTY. :doh:

For single globes the approach of @JEFF JOHNSON is correct, box in box.
    Many years ago I had a nice and good discussion with a shipper about shipping glass. The rulebook about shipping and packing was so thick that they honestly told they didn't know. But for glass the only safe way was to use wood, this would meet the shipping requirements for packing and therefore also insurance.
    The other fact was one I always keep in mind: the box should be packed in such a way that it withstand a fall from 1 meter high on the ground, without damaging the product inside. Surprise: this is a normal carry height.

3. george United States

Good advice, Wim. One of the best packaged items I received was from a dealer in India. It was a small, rather hard to find Feuerhand lantern. He packed the globe in a separate wooden box full of bubble wrap, then the wooden box was wrapped in more bubble wrap. Finally wrapped in more bubble wrap! Took me almost a half hour just to unwrap the package! Glass and lantern were both fantastic, and it was free shipping, too!
    :D/:thumbup:

4. Gerard

Gerard Netherlands Subscriber

the opposite

well packed glass.JPG

5. scl

you can send that wee 242 with the globe in situ and i will gladly accept it broken globe or not. your knuckles will not be harmed.

6. Rolf F United Kingdom

I ordered a large ceramic houseplant pot this summer. It arrived in about ten pieces (I knew I was in trouble because the box rattled). So I complained and they said they'd send another. Meanwhile, I stuck the broken pot back together and from some angles it looks fine. The second one arrived. It too rattled. It was in about 15 pieces. So I complained and they said they'd send another. Meanwhile, I stuck the second pot back together and even that one looked ok from some angles. The third one arrived. It didn't rattle. I opened the package. It was cracked right down the middle. Only five pieces this time. It went together really well. The sender agreed not to send any more and refunded me. I now have at least three times more pots than I wanted but you never know when you'll need another plant pot...…...

7. Franta

Franta Czech Republic Subscriber

Maybe paper boxes are more expensive than glass, somewhere?

It just happened to me – I ordered a clear glass, a matt glass and some mantles from a German seller with 100 % positive feedback. The clear glass survived, but the matt glass arrived in two pieces. It was just wrapped in a newspaper and put into a paper box with few other crumpled papers and some „air bags“. The seller agreed with sending replacement, so I will hopefully lose nothing, just will have to wait circa a week more for a complete order. But why?

8. Jean J

Jean J Subscriber

I’ve just read scl’s post (on Christmas Day!) which I assume was aimed at me? If you mean my wee Coleman scl it has a pretty fragile mica globe on it and would need lots of protective wrapping.
    Had to laugh at Rolf’s post above.