1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

An excellent excuse to put one of my lanterns to good use.

Discussion in 'Lamp Action Gallery' started by ColinG, May 20, 2018.

1. ColinG

ColinG Subscriber

My daughter asked me a couple of months ago, 'Dad, can you make me a tree house?' Well, although the's 16 and probably way too old for such things I couldn't refuse, could I. Here is the result.

IMG_2779.JPG

It's quite high... maybe 25ft, which presented some problems when covering it in roofing felt.

IMG_2778.JPG

It's watertight though. You can see the rain running down the sides.

received_1677033052352400.jpeg

A Tilley Guardsman was chosen to light the christening cup of tea!

received_1677031819019190.jpeg

...and an incense stick to ward off the midges and mosquitoes.

received_147987576057462.jpeg

My house is just about visible through one of the windows

received_147987306057489.jpeg

Used my Optimus 111 to brew a cuppa.

received_1677036639018708.jpeg

It's even got a porthole that I rescued from a half submerged boat someone had left to rot in one of the local lochs.

There is still a bit of work to be done tidying up the interior and making it a little nicer but the basics are in place.

BTW, I'm never using a paraffin stove in there again! Potentially lethal and it seemed to use up all the oxygen so quickly we had to open the trap door to let some air in! The lantern was just about OK but I will have to give some detailed safety instructions.

2. Matthew92

Matthew92 Subscriber

Looks great, could you not install some permanent ventilation? It’s always a risk if you have to remember to open a window, or unblock a vent. There are vents in my caravan which I block up when towing to stop road dust getting in, but nearly every time when I arrive on site I forget to unblock them but I do always get a text from my mum reminding me to do it.

3. ColinG

ColinG Subscriber

I may do that... I have an aluminum chimney cowling someone gave me that I could retro-fit. The thing is, on the West Coast of Scotland where we live the rain and wind can be so intense and hard it will find any weakness and tear at it until it has destroyed everything. I think I'll wait until I've seen the structure survive some serious wind and rain first.

4. JEFF JOHNSON

JEFF JOHNSON Subscriber

An excellent project!:thumbup::thumbup:

5. ROBBO55

ROBBO55 Subscriber

Colin, that is one serious treehouse. :thumbup::thumbup:

6. Matthew92

Matthew92 Subscriber

Ahh yes, I had a picture or two once from a railway signal box I think it was, it was a roof vent that had a hook in the middle on the inside to hang the lamp on so the fumes went straight up and out.

7. ColinG

ColinG Subscriber

When I started, I knew I wanted it to be fun and different but I started the platform at the limit of my ladder, which meant I had to borrow a neighbours longer one to actually rainproof it. When the wind blows you sway about up there and the feeling is so strange and almost comforting. I think I'm still a big kid at heart!

8. Matthew92

Matthew92 Subscriber

I’m coming up to 26, but I’d be quite happy for you to build me a tree house like that.:lol: I can imagine what you mean about the swaying, it would feel odd, Bit of wind, bit of rain would be fun, when the thunder and lightening comes though, I’d be running for the house.:lol::lol:

9. Jean J

Jean J Subscriber

I’ve got 50 years on you Matt and would love to have one. I have been trying my husband to build me a tree house for years now. If he ever gets down to it he’ll need to fit a winch to get me up!

10. David Shouksmith

David Shouksmith Founder Member

:-s :? :-k Surely he'll need to go up to build you a tree house, Jean... ](*,)

Stannah Stairlift? ;) :lol:

Ah, sweet. You'll always be her little boy, Matt... :p :lol:

Last edited: May 21, 2018
  11. ColinG

ColinG Subscriber

Well, if anyone's passing you're welcome to a guided a tour of 'Chez Tree' or 'Treelandia' as I want to call it.

12. ColinG

ColinG Subscriber

Stannah Treelift maybe? :lol:

13. Tive

Tive Subscriber

Beautiful ! :clap::clap:

14. bp4willi

Really a wonderful tree house.

15. Tony Press

Tony Press Subscriber

@ColinG

Put some ventilation in the floor.

Cheers

Tony

16. scl

scl Subscriber

i love it, great work.

17. bp4willi

@ColinG
    When You have loads of midges up there,
    Isn't it wise to put the lantern outside, in front of the window, to guide/attract the midgets outside?

E.g. Put a lantern hanger on the outer wall above the window.
    Have the light shining inside, but keep midgets out.

But maybe I'm wrong......

18. David Shouksmith

David Shouksmith Founder Member

Pull up the ladder and the midgets probably won't be able to climb up there and bother you... ;) :)

19. ColinG

ColinG Subscriber

Right now, there's very little that will deter the midges and this year there are a lot of them! I have never seen this many or known them to be so aggressive! They are (so I read) attracted to the carbon dioxide in your breath and also to certain pheromones so they'll find you wherever you go and there is only one product that really repels them called Smidge, and even that has it's limitations. They don't like smoke, incense or paraffin fumes, won't come out when it's windy or in direct sunlight, but if it's still, humid and anything other than bright sunshine, they swarm.

A couple of nights ago I drove my daughter into Fort William from Glenfinnan. It was warm, humid and dark and as we drove, the car's headlights kept picking out what looked like snow.... just like when you drive when it's snowing, only it wasn't snow, it was a thick fog of a trillion midges!!! Horrific conditions the like of which I've never seen before. I wish I could have taken a photograph. Oh, and when we turn our floodlight on in the back garden, it's surrounded by thick clouds of tiny dancing insects!

Basically, until things calm down a little, the treehouse is a no-go area as is the whole garden whenthings get bad.

20. AussiePete

AussiePete Subscriber

What Tony said vents were in the floor, carbon monoxide is denser than air and will tend to sink.

21. ColinG

ColinG Subscriber

About the ventilation situation in the treehouse: the floor has four roughly triangular holes where the tree passes through it, so it's not so much of a problem... but I'm not encouraging my daughter or anyone else to use a lantern up there and certainly not a paraffin or petrol stove - the fire risk is too high in my opinion, although lanterns provide a lovely warm light and their gentle hiss is very soothing. Also, now it's carpeted, there's even more potential for accidents to occur.

22. bp4willi

Yes, treehome is not a good place for open fire.
    About smidge: Isn't it the same repellent as in Autan and Ballistol Stitchfree ?
    Icaridin.
    The Ballistol is by far cheaper than all others.

23. ColinG

ColinG Subscriber

Quite possibly... I haven't looked at the ingredients list. I know that the 'natives' all used Smidge when things get bad.