Another silly question...

Discussion in 'Fettling Forum' started by Julian Whittaker, Jun 24, 2022.

1. Julian Whittaker

Julian Whittaker Australia Subscriber

When I flushed out the fount of my 'Solar' this tinkled out. The little brass part.
    Obviously it's a jet. Where Does it fit -in the base? SolarJetopt.jpg

2. podbros

podbros United Kingdom Subscriber

Hi Julian
    The brass item with the slotted screw head ?
    It’s an nrv.. Non Return Valve

Is there one fitted already down in the bottom of the pump tube ??

3. Julian Whittaker

Well. I was going to strip the whole thing, but the main fount nut has been tightened by three large gorillas, so I stopped before I did damage!
    I can easily pull out the pump and check there eh. I'll venture out to the workshop and do that now... I may be some time... (famous last words?)

4. Julian Whittaker

Well that looks as though it could be a decent lamp once I fettle it a bit. Of course the NRV helped!!! (Duurrrgh... NRV... why didn't I know that? - perhaps because I found it rattling around in the fount, -why would the PO put it in there?) THX PB. - I'll need to make a new piston leather for it, fit a mantle and try it in the morning. It'll clean up nicely, -I even have a good globe for it.
    That'll make 8 working lamps out of the unloved junkers kindly donated by Andrew. Still got about another 8 or ten to fix, although a few are lost causes.

5. podbros

podbros United Kingdom Subscriber

Hi Julian,

Great! That’s better than not having one? ;)

There are no silly questions.. how else can we learn?

There is lots of help on here about making your own pump leathers and seals.. just involves having a look about and trying different search words
    For working lamps I generally make my own seals.. I bought some small sheets of viton in different thicknesses.. it is more expensive but will outlast the other nitrile based ones

If it’s for the shelf or best i get Fettlebox ones.. Their pump leathers are also excellent (the best) :thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

it’s always nice to make stuff yourself though :-)

6. Julian Whittaker

Absolutely... much more satisfying making your own. With pump leathers obviously one can make M & F tooling to stamp / press. But I might try just a flat disc of very heavy leather (which I have). If it's well fitted it should work. I've found with the lamps I've got there are about 4 different diameters, from 16mm to 20mm.
    I'm right for smaller Austramax ones though.

7. ColinG

ColinG United Kingdom Subscriber

Once its cleaned up, it'll be a great addition to your growing collection!

I've got a few Solar lanterns... they're well made and work well. Which model is it?

8. Julian Whittaker

It's a 350CP. I have x3 of them but (though I haven't investigated yet), the prickers in the other two are either not there or broken. Yes it's a very 'handsome' looking lamp, It'll be interesting to see how bright she burns.

9. Julian Whittaker

Looking more closely at these... One is a SOLAR 350CP, Also in the pic is an 'ORIENTAL ALOCO' 500CP which has a weird valve on it, see red lever to the left.
    Looks like it controls a stopper that would close an air-valve ??
    Also I found I have a COLEMAN COL-MAX, though this is missing pump assy and fuel cap.
    IMG_3817Solar&Otheropt.jpg

10. WimVe

WimVe Subscriber

Well if you mean the red lever on the rapid pre-heater, then that is it: rapid pre heater.

11. Julian Whittaker

So tell me how to work it Wim...

12. WimVe

WimVe Subscriber

Julian,
    I am afraid: did you read this topic?
    With what pressure lanterns are you familiar? Do you have a technical background ?
    I know silly questions but these are items filled with compustable fuel under pressure using an open flame. So safety is not an issue but a must, like knowing what you are doing.

Edit:
    I was looking for the full restoration topic for a Petromax style lantern.
    Here is one: http://www.eschaefer.de/hobbys/starkl/px-rest.pdf

Last edited: Jun 25, 2022
  13. ColinG

If the rapid pre-heater functions correctly, you pump spme pressure into the tank and release the pre-heater lever and light the vaporised kero. This produces a powerful flame that looks like a 'jet' that heats up the vaporising tube very quickly. The advantages is it makes for a very quick start. The disadvantages are, it uses up the fuel, swiftly depletes the pressure youve built up and it can blow the mantle to bits! Oh, and they can leak pressure and also go wrong. Its nice to have but i almost never use them, even when they're present.

The Col-Max is a nice find. You don't find them much in the UK and even if it needs some work, it'll be worth it I reckon.

The Oriental Aloco is new to me. Quite probably a Chinese Petromax clone or maybe one that came from Hong Kong.

14. Julian Whittaker

Thanks Colin, I'll look into how to get it working.
    Wim, I'm a beginner where it comes to lamps. Technical background? Well, I've restored many older classic motorbikes, and a few newer ones, I've built a couple from scratch, and I've built modified racing engines. So I suppose you could say I have some sort of "technical background". It's just that I don't know how this rapid pre-heater works. That's all I asked.

No need for that 'safety' link Wim, -It's a bit patronising.

Last edited: Jun 25, 2022
  15. ColinG

On kerosene lamps, fuel leaks and other problems are messy and potentially a little dangerous, but lamps running on Coleman Fuel (basically petrol/gasoline with no additives) can be life threatening and extremely dangerous! Every now and then, someone who doesn't understand the safety issues will loose their life in a very unpleasant way! As you deal with motorbike and high performance engines you will be aware of the issues I'm sure but there's a handy safety lesson on the sight that goes through the main points - well worth a read.

16. WimVe

WimVe Subscriber

Why?
    I don't know your background, I don't know your skills and you ask a basic lantern question.
    I have seen to many accidents or almost accidents that where caused by "experienced" educated users.

17. Julian Whittaker

The very first day I joined this forum, I read the 'safety lecture'. Thanks, useful content for sure.

The very reason I asked the "basic lantern question" about the rapid heater was to understand its operation so I can operate it safely.
    I do have a Coleman Petrol lamp that I have never attempted to start, because petrol is much more volatile than Kerosine, and I won't take risks, so I'll make sure I'll ask some "silly questions" about its operation before starting it.

Back in the day I was involved with a company who were developing their own miniature Jet Turbine Engine (for R.C. jet aircraft). This was before the present day fail-safe computerised start-up sequence controllers. We had some 'interesting' times learning on the job, developing these superb little devices - asking plenty of silly questions.

Last edited: Jun 26, 2022
  18. Henry Plews

Henry Plews Subscriber

I have to disagree. Using cleaning needles from different sized lanterns I've checked the fuel orifice on quite a few rapid preheaters. A 350cp needle will not go through the orifice but a 250 needle easily does so lets say the orifice is equivalent to that on a 300 cp lantern.

I've found that unless the ambient temperature is very low, the rapid preheater will do its job in anywhere between 30 and 40 seconds for 250 cp lanterns and usually around 60 seconds for the physically larger 350 and 500 cp lanterns.

According to Dr. Herman Lahde's book Light and Heat from Hydrocarbon Appliances, a 300 cp (yes, CP not HK) appliance will burn 0.130ltr per hour or 0.0021666 ltr. per minute so hardly thirsty. Given the price of methylated spirits / bio-ethanol / denatured alcohol here in the U.K., the only time I don't use the rapid preheater is when I've just fitted a new mantle.