Austramax 2/300

Discussion in 'Fettling Forum' started by Darryl Durdin, Oct 3, 2019.

1. Darryl Durdin

Darryl Durdin Australia Subscriber

I have a delemma, and not wanting to repeat my last drama. The fuel pickup and pricker leaver is bloked, the pick up spins not unthreading.
    Has any one got any ideas on how to pull apat the vave pick up pricker, the camm dose not work the lever rotates but no movement, there was no needel pricker in this lantern and is full of something that looks like tar.
    Any suggestions. 20191003_114855.jpg 20191003_114909.jpg 20191003_114903.jpg

2. ROBBO55

ROBBO55 Subscriber

@Darryl Durdin

Darryl, the spindle should pull out Austramax 3/300. But you might have to scrape the gland packing out first. A liberal use of paint lacquer thinners will help break down the gummed up fuel and carbon in the valve. Along with scraping

Last edited: Oct 5, 2019
  3. Tony Press

Tony Press Australia Subscriber

Stinkpot Bay, Howden, Tasmania, Australia
    Darryl

Taking the spindle/eccentric out of an Austramax can be a real b@sta@rd of a job, so Martin’s advice is very good.

It looks like you’ll need to replace the brass fitting that the pricker rod screws into, so taking the spindle/eccentric out is necessary.

You might want to clear the fuel line with acetone or carburettor cleaner.

Here’s a link to the Austramax fuel pickup:

Ever wondered what the Austramax fuel pickup looked like?

Cheers

Tony

4. Darryl Durdin

Thank you for the tips fellas,i will proceed with caution, i m going to practice on a de funked pick up, just to see, ill capture it for reference .

5. Darryl Durdin

I used a buggeted pick up out of my 1st 2/300.
    Although it buggered the spindle a bit, this is whats inside, i did have to use a bit of brute forse but it did come out,
    Note no osilating cam spigot, this pick up was of little or no use, i did severer thos from the pick up tube where the bit screws into the tank. 20191007_153022.jpg
    The valve body, osilating cam. A brass spacer about 2m, 5mm of graphite packer that appears to be in small washers, a brass spacer about 10mm. 20191007_153029.jpg 20191007_153032.jpg
    The cam pin is gone, 20191007_153125.jpg
    As it would have sat as one piece. The graphite glan is now falling apart the more i touch it.
    I have now educated myself on another mystery, thank you to everyone for your imput and advice, i hope my pictures are a good reference for others to see what makes Austramax lanterns work

6. Darryl Durdin

7. AussiePete

AussiePete Australia Subscriber

Thanks Darryl for sharing ...... You have certainly added to the knowledge bank on how a Austramax works.
    Cheers
    Pete

8. Mackburner

Mackburner United Kingdom Founder Member Subscriber

I had the same problem recently with the cam pin sheared off and actually the eccentric block had also broken where the slot was. Seems to be a weak design point on Austramax. Sorted mine with some parts mailed from a friend in Aus. The gland packing is an easy fix with some PTFE wound round the shaft. ::Neil::