Austramax 3/300 Burner Repair

Discussion in 'Fettling Forum' started by ROBBO55, Oct 4, 2018.

1. ROBBO55

ROBBO55 Subscriber

When I picked up this lantern up the perforated screen in the burner was burnt out.
    Austramax 3/300 Lantern (Late Model)

The burner (nozzle) is a single piece with a pressed steel screen. They’re not designed to be repaired. But I thought I’d give it ago.

Pushed the old screen out from the back and flattened it out to get the correct size.

21-22mm dia
    Hole size - 1.4mm
    Distance between holes - 1.0mm

1.jpg

Looked around the shed and found a piece of perforated steel that looked suitable. I think it use to be a speaker cover. Cut a piece out using a 25mm hole saw. Making a 22mm dia circle

2.jpg 3.jpg

I needed to form it into a convex that reduced the outside diameter enough to fit into the burner opening. Found the end off a curtain rod that had a nice round end and a cap off an old universal joint that were about the right size. Using a press I formed the new convex screen. I used a press because I have one and it gives more control but it could be done with a hammer.

4.jpg 5.jpg

Now I needed to spread it out and swage it into the burner. To achieve this I ground a lip onto a steel rod.

6.JPG

The rod was inserted into the burner under the screen and used as an anvil.

7.jpg

By slowly working my way around the edges of the screen with a small hammer I was able to spread the screen out and swage it into the burner.

8.JPG

Testing the repaired burner.

25.JPG

2. Nils Stephenson

Nils Stephenson Founder Member

Very well done and well described. It all seems to be within reach of an amateur.

3. Sellig33

Sellig33 France Subscriber

Whaouh, good job :thumbup:

4. Matty

@ROBBO55

Beautifully done. :clap:

I was reading an old Wizard Lighting Co catalogue the other day. In the catalogue there was a part that explained the importance of keeping the burner mesh in good condition. It was insinuated that everyone knew the importance of keeping well maintained mantles and generators. It was essentially stressed that maintaining the burner cap in good condition was equally as important as maintaining the generators and mantles.

5. AussiePete

AussiePete Australia Subscriber

Well done, always have a go .....

6. Tony Press

Tony Press Australia Subscriber

Stinkpot Bay, Howden, Tasmania, Australia
    @ROBBO55

Great job!

I’ll send you a few more... ;)

Cheers

Tony

7. ROBBO55

ROBBO55 Subscriber

Your right Nils, it wasn't that hard. Finding the raw materials was the hardest part.

Haha Tony. I'll press some for you then you can take it from there. :lol::lol:

Thanks Matty, did it say what was needed to keep the mesh in good condition?

Thanks Pete and Gilles for the kind words.

8. JEFF JOHNSON

JEFF JOHNSON United Kingdom Subscriber

Making use of what is lying around is very practical and that's excellent fettling!:thumbup::clap::clap::thumbup:

9. Matty

@ROBBO55

Here is the part that is most pertinent to your question.

WizardMantlecare.jpg

10. ROBBO55

ROBBO55 Subscriber

Thanks Jeff, I'm often told by people I should clean the junk out of the shed. I say "There is no junk, there parts for projects I just haven’t started yet". :lol:

@Matty
    Thanks Matty for sharing this interesting document. It raises a point that's probably overlooked. We worry about carbon in the vapouriser / generator affecting fuel flow but often neglect the burner. Food for thought. :-k

11. JEFF JOHNSON

JEFF JOHNSON United Kingdom Subscriber

You are correct and on the odd occasion when I have thrown stuff out , then a while later it would have come in useful.

12. AussiePete

AussiePete Australia Subscriber

I try to resist chucking out stuff. It seems when I do chuck stuff out, it’s not long afterwards that I need it for some project or other. Must be a law of nature.

13. Mackburner

Mackburner United Kingdom Founder Member Subscriber

The air intake, mixing chamber and mantle tubes may be considered to be the low pressure part of the burner and any roughness or dirt in there is going to affect gas flow. I have long ago realised that keeping these parts clean is essential. Dirty tubes here are what causes an uneven burn in twin mantle lamps. Ideally these tubes should not only be clean but perhaps polished as well. I guess it's a bit like polishing the ports in a gasoline engine to improve gas flow and therefore performance. ::Neil::