Austramax 3/300 nickel

Discussion in '3/300' started by David Shouksmith, Sep 21, 2010.

1. David Shouksmith

David Shouksmith United Kingdom Founder Member

1285077083-Austramax_3.300_-_nickel.jpg

A 300cp kerosene lantern. This one seems to have a replacement globe and a non-standard ball-nut.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 31, 2017
  2. Nils Stephenson

Nils Stephenson Founder Member

Hi David

You are right about the glass. It should be the normal bulge glass as found on most Austramax lanterns. I believe the ones you buy new today have a straight glass though (mine did in 2004).

This is actually an interesting version of the 3/300. It is from a time when Austramax were introducing a few cosmetic changes, but not all at once. The first being the black colour of the hood and a flatter top part. I can't see it, but another noticable cjhange was the cleaning control wheel. This went from a boat wheel shape to sort of an arrow.

Here are a couple of pictures of mine. Unfortunately I havn't taken any myself so these are the ones from ebay. This lantern has the optional protection screen and also has the broad arrow stamp on the collar to show it is from the army.

1285320110-b906_1.jpg 1285320120-c4cb_1.jpg

Br
    Nils

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 1, 2017
  3. David Shouksmith

David Shouksmith United Kingdom Founder Member

I was surprised to see the 'Suprax' glass is correct for Austramax - it was mainly that which caused me to suppose what was fitted to my lantern wasn't correct. I suppose the original globe was broken and replaced with the newer version.

It's the arrow type. I should have taken and posted more images... :blush:

I'd like to replace the globe and ball-nut with the correct types. Do you know if they're available? Maybe T.W. Sands..?

4. Nils Stephenson

Nils Stephenson Founder Member

Most of the Austramax I have seen with branded glass have been from Schott with their logo on one side and 'Austramax' on the other. The only other branded glass I have seen is with red lettering where it has 'Austramax' across the top and then in small lettering just under 'Agee pyrex'. I have only seen these glasses on older versions.

I've never bought anything from them but I assume they'd have the parts for the current model. Another possibility is Associated Kerosene and Oil Lamps. I've bought from them before with no problems.