Austramax 3/300

Discussion in 'Pressure Lamp Discussion Forum' started by Dennyb, Jan 13, 2021 at 3:42 PM.

1. Dennyb United Kingdom

Welcome anty thoughts. I have recently been given an Austramax which I am having a few problems with. The pump non return valve is giving a bit of trouble by pushing the pump handle back up although pressure is building in the tank and a replacement n.r.v may be needed, however I am able to get the unit lit but the resulting light is very poor even after pumping for some time and although it may not be seen on the attached photo, flames do pulse beyond the mantle. Other than thinking a replacement burner might be neede. I would welcome any thoughts please.

20210113_150510.jpg

Cheers

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 13, 2021 at 3:50 PM
  2. ROBBO55

ROBBO55 Subscriber

G'day @Dennyb

The NRV can be serviced and probably needs a new PIP. It is removed using a large flat bladed screwdriver.

Before replacing the burner remove the vapouriser and give it a clean. It's probably choked with carbon. Whilst it's pulled apart the jet can be checked. It should be 0.2mm

Check the air intake for insects or other obstructions.

3. Henry Plews

Henry Plews Subscriber

4. george United States

Agree (for what it's worth) and are a really "nifty" little lantern.

5. JEFF JOHNSON

JEFF JOHNSON United Kingdom Subscriber

A fine fettling project!:thumbup:

6. Nils Stephenson

Nils Stephenson Founder Member

It will probably need a new filler cap washer. The first job is getting the NRV sorted though. Once that is done you can try a dunk test and check for leaks. That is pump it up (when empty) and put it in a bucket of water. Any leaks will be obvious.

7. Dennyb United Kingdom

Hi All
    Thanks for the replies, I have replaced the nrv pip and will see how that goes. I havnt done the water test yet although I am familiar with trying that on some other lamps I have. Next on the task list is to look at the vaporizer issue suggested by Robbo.
    Watch this space.