Austramax 3/300

Discussion in '3/300' started by Tonebone, Sep 6, 2012.

1. Tonebone

This is a complete 3/300 including box and instructions. The appliance was black with soot when I received it in the mail. The fount was full to capacity with kero. Maybe it was used once and then discarded to a shed as the result of a beginners first pre heat not being effective causing a flare up. It cleaned up like new and works beautifully.

1346925318-photo.jpg 1346925366-photo.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 31, 2017
  2. Nils Stephenson

Nils Stephenson Founder Member

Nice looking lamp. What sort of handle does it have? The newer angular style or the older round type.

3. JEFF JOHNSON

JEFF JOHNSON United Kingdom Subscriber

A great looking lantern! :thumbup:

I once saw a photo of what was called an Austramax table lantern, it had a handle in between the tank and the globe cage, but I have never seen any paperwork for it.

So was it a production model or a cobbled lamp? Jeff.

4. Nils Stephenson

I've only ever seen the table lamp on the back of the early 3/300 instruction sheet. Here's the part that shows it.
    1346957004-Austramax_lamp.jpg

It also shows a two burner stove and a heater. Havn't seen those either.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 1, 2017
  5. Tonebone

Nils, The handle is the round one, however the appliance has a newer style of hood, the one with the four holes around the rim for the handle. As pictured it is a blue hood with white speckles. Any idea of its age?

6. JEFF JOHNSON

Hello Nils, thanks for posting that advert, at least we now know that it is an Austramax product.

Jim Dick sent the photo of the lamp to me, but it was a mate of his who owned the lamp..

His mate had a shop, but I do not recall his name.

The photo shows the lamp, Jeff.

1346964708-AUSTRAMAX_TABLE_LANTERN__PHOTO_BY_JIM_DICK_opt.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 1, 2017
  7. Tonebone

Jeff, The shop looks like (from the photo) TW Sands in Carlton Victoria. Thanks for the photo, I did not know about the Austramax table lamp model. I wil keep my eyes peeled to see if I can find one.

8. JEFF JOHNSON

You may be correct, is the shop owner called Bernie Holmes?

I think that was the name which Jim mentioned.

It looks like a fine table lantern, do those Austramax lanterns work well? Jeff.

9. Tonebone

Jeff, Yes I know his first name is Bernie. The business is TW Sands. In relation to the Austramax product the lanterns work very well and are very similar to the Coleman. I think at one stage during import bans during WW2 Coleman was manufactured by Austramax in Australia. I have not ever seen an Austramax Table Lamp. However thanks to your photo my hunt is now on for one.

10. Nils Stephenson

Jeff: At least now I know the lamp exists and is not just a drawing. They couldn't have made very many of them.

Tony: No idea of the age sorry. As far as I know, none of the changes made on the Austramax have been documented. If I had to guess I would say late 70s or early 80s.

I'm still out on whether Austramax made Coleman product. Some evidence was presented in a differetn thread that another company did make them. Also I havn't seen an Australian made Coleman early enough to put it before Austramax started making their own lamps. I don't think they would compete with themselves.

11. Tonebone

I had a discussion with Austramax today, they advised that they still manufacture lamps for the third world countries. In fact they are making a batch as we speak. It is no longer their primary business as they manufacture equipment for the resources boom in Australia. But each lamp they still manufacture is handmade. They also repair their old lamps. Great to see an organisation hasn't forgotten their customers.

12. JEFF JOHNSON

Hello Tony, thanks for confirmation and do scour Aus., for those Austramax table lanterns.

Hello Nils, perhaps a few more will surface.

13. StephanE

StephanE Subscriber

I reckon they don't sell them regularly?

14. Mackburner

Mackburner United Kingdom Founder Member Subscriber

I have this image of the table lamp from Albert White and my information indicates that he owned it at the time. ::Neil::

1347101338-Austramax_Table_Albert.jpg

15. David Shouksmith

David Shouksmith United Kingdom Founder Member

Well, whoever it was didn't stay up all night designing that, did he... :lol:

Get a lantern and stick a stem between the tank and the top, et voila a table lamp! :whistle:

16. Nils Stephenson

Very interesting to see that picture. It shows that the tank is different to the one on the lantern. The fuel feed on the lantern is to one side and the lamp has a central feed with some extra fancy ridges as well. The valve block at the top of the stem must be different as well to align things again.

So now we know of two.

17. StephanE

StephanE Subscriber

David, what did you think how this works? :mrgreen:

18. David Shouksmith

Looks offset to one side to me, just like the lantern...

19. Nils Stephenson

The actual burner is straight off the lantern, i.e. offset. This would normally attach to a valve block attached directly to the tank in the same offset position. Here the stem is mounted cetrally indicating a central hole for the fuel feed. The block at the top of the stem then 'returns' the fuel feed back to the offset position.

20. jonathan fairbank

Hi Tonebone, I was wondering if you've ever had to change a broken clearing pin or full generator ? I have one just like the one you're picturing, it did have the mottled vent, white specks on ash blue but I ruined that unfortunately by leaving it too long in mild citric solution. It's down to the steel now and I've to get it re-enamelled, ready for when ever I can actually find out how to remove the generators clearing pin. It's locked in, well I'm presuming there's eccentric block in there, with a sky hook fastening the upturn to the base of the clearing pin ? I've been searching for a solution for a long time, I really want to see it lit but all my efforts have come to nothing. I've asked Neil McRae and even he doesn't seem to know, & I've contacted TW Sands in Oz and they want me to near enough buy a new lamp, they wont tell me how to free it, nor which serial model n.o the full replacement generator is ? I hope you could possibly help me, thank you for listening if you get to read this ? I've not been with the forum for long, so don't know all the do's & don'ts.If you'd like I could try to take some pictures of the offending unit, on top of the fount > Regards Jonathan. :cry:

21. Tony Press

Tony Press Australia Subscriber

Stinkpot Bay, Howden, Tasmania, Australia
    Does this parts diagram help?

1374609850-image.jpg

22. jonathan fairbank

Cheers Tony, I got the mail post, I've tried the best I can to list the parts I require for the Max, I hope there's no difference with the parts, as I mentioned my lantern is the older 3/300 one with the barrel globe and rounder bail arm. The vent was mottled white speck, over ash blue, originally. (Maybe early 80's, any ideas or ways to clarify its age, would be well received, also. Thanks, & a big hand shake, too ya. Jon :whistle: .

23. Tony Press

I've PT'd you, and have spoken to the supplier. I can source all the parts you need - so I will work through the diagram and catalogue with you via the Private Topic forum.

If anyone else needs Austramax parts, let me know.

24. David Shouksmith

25. Tony Press

I think I can only get straight-sided globes - I'll check. The other, I can do.

Cheers

Tony

26. David Shouksmith

Thanks, Tony,

The Suprax globe as fitted works well and may be the later replacement from Austramax. However, it may not be because the diameter looks a couple of millimetres too small.

I may try a Coleman bulge globe to see if that fits and looks better...

27. Colin M

Hi,

About the only way at this stage to date an Austramax is with the Burner screen. Everything else is speculation. Unless someone has other documentation.

Pre '52 Mesh Screen, After that they introduced the Stainless Steel insert. Larger holes, only about 6-7.

These newer screen appear on the 2/300 & 3/300. But that doesn't take into account replacement on the 2/300.

As to the globes, Coleman will fit, in the later stages the Jaener Schott was a generic for both Coleman, Austramax and any Propane [ Yanes }

Colin

28. JEFF JOHNSON

Good photo David!

29. Nils Stephenson

The Austramax I bought new in 2004 came out of the box with a straight sided glass. At that point I assumed they had gone over to that style. Does anyone know if that is still the case?

30. Colin M

There appears to be an abundance of these, brand new, in the box and priced accordingly on that online Auction Site. All have the Bulge Glass.

Colin