Austramax 3/300.

Discussion in '3/300' started by jonathan fairbank, Nov 29, 2013.

1. jonathan fairbank

How does, all,

There's been a lot of work involved, getting this Austramax 3/300, up & dancing, but as you can now see, it has all been very much worth the effort :content: . Alight, the first time in my ownership, night before last :-

1385686950-DSCN1181.JPG

"Very nice indeed, Mr Grimsdale" ! "Cor blimey".

How old, could anyone say this is, with that type of Bakerlite knob, fitted ?

1385687090-DSCN1063.JPG

1385687205-DSCN1095.JPG

1385687282-DSCN1113.JPG

The plate was in a bad way, very deep pitting, after de-robing. Naughty naughty, previous owner !

1385687521-DSCN1069.JPG

Another good few year for this Night trail blazer; Vrooooom !!

Cheers, Jon.

Heaven knows why the software had to maintain I load two of the same pictures ? Asking to remove it with the setting panel, in compose, didn't work. Just hope it all loads right, now ? :shock:

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 31, 2017
  2. Dan D

Dan D Subscriber

Another excellent restoration Jon.
    Looks superb, like new out of the box :thumbup: :thumbup:

I really like these Austramax compact lanterns. A sturdy, simple design, much like a Vapalux. Very little to go wrong, and being all brass, should last a life time.

Dan

3. jonathan fairbank

Hiya Dan,

Yes, it seems to be running better now, as I double checked a possible fracture, that I was worried had opened up during my first burn, but it could have been the low pressure I'd unintentionally let it fall too, that mucked it up ?

I took some pictures of the main valve block joins, to tank, as well as a vividly experiencing, Bunsen test, I'd tried for the first time, but they wont re-size correctly, in the Paint software, I can usually use, without much difficulty (it's thrown a wobbler, that's tricky to solve).
    Now it'll only re-size to around 94 kb's, from the 700 mark, giving unrecognizable pictures, with huge pixels. I can reset the camera, back over to VGA, but then I'll lose the very clear focus, I'd reset it all at, to enable the much sharper detail, with close ups.

I'd like to load them, but will first have to find out what's preventing the re-size
    conversion ?

Grand lantern, now though, just gotta sort the vent out, then it's another jewel to the book.

The lid's bluing up on every burn, I don't like it, and I'd rather it be a useful lantern, where the vent doesn't need to be fettled, all the time. Still looks good, like, but it's not practical.

Cheers,

Jon :) .

4. Tony Press

Tony Press Australia Subscriber

Stinkpot Bay, Howden, Tasmania, Australia
    Jon

They are a very useful lamp: I use mine regularly to check on my chooks at night and do various things around the place.

As a 'working lamp' I don't worry about the bluing of the hood. I have a couple of Aladdins which I use all the time; one has a bare metal hood and I quite like the way it has 'aged' by bluing under regular use: same with Shed-Man's cap for my pork pie X246.

5. Dan D

Dan D Subscriber

Hi Jon,

"Paint" is a painful and very rudimentary image manipulating application. Try the "Image Optimiser"on this site. You can find it on the top menu bar (7th tab over from the "Home" tab). It works very well, or you can try this wonderful free application (which I use) IrfanView . A slight learning curve, but very flexible and powerful.

Dan

6. Mackburner

Mackburner United Kingdom Founder Member Subscriber

Paint is my fault. I suggested to Jon that he use it because it is cheap, ie free, and relatively simple to use. My normal image program is Corel photopaint which is pretty good and powerful but one thing it will not do well is rotate images without distortion. However Paint will do that for me so it is a program I have and use sometimes. I was therefore familiar with it and was able to talk Jon through using it to re size images. I know it is not all that powerful but it is good enough. ::Neil::

7. David Shouksmith

David Shouksmith United Kingdom Founder Member

Yes, I've been using IrfanView for years (probably more than five) and for me, it has just the right balance between capability and simplicity of use. There's very little I need which it won't do although I suspect that's probably more my fault than the program itself... :whistle:

8. jonathan fairbank

Yo Tony,

Have been upto me neck in it, last few days, tons of lanterns & parts arriving, etc, but as you've seen, all the work input, towards getting Max sorted out, came through goodstyle.

What are "chooks", are they chickens, or something like a ferret ? It's a funny name, 'chooks'

Yes, you're right about just using the lantern for what it was made for, but I like to keep all of them, up to standard, even over the long run.

Out there, amongst some of the critters and terrain, arduous illuminated evasions will be beneficial to self preservation. Wild dogs, the slitheries, then spiders, to boot (& much more than that); need to be seen, to be side stepped around (we've just got hoodies to contend with, after dark, then bad weather.

If I'd two Max'x, I'd let one slip, just to see how it naturally went on, vent wise, but because I knackered the enamel up, my dim self, I'll get it re coated with vitreous again. Looking very smart, as it is, but I'd rather be using it this winter, to keep warm. The bluing is always removable, but so is the skin to the fingers, I've 'em raw to the bone, most nights, fevering away with all my other lanterns, in the kitchen sink.

What's the X246 like, is it in CPL somewhere, I'd like to fettle a WWII Tilley, the ones before the Hendons (I think) SDP's or L's ? etc; these types of Tilleys are real nice, quite special to own a spot monty one; brought back to former glory.

Ok, you have a sound Christmas / New Year, and I'll be loading more photos's, after more intense work, and hopefully trying out some more software, all the chaps are saying to try, with scan re-sizings, etc.

A very good order, that; I really appreciated your help. Thanks, muchly ! :content:

Jon. :thumbup:

9. jonathan fairbank

Hi Neil,

I was ok with Paint, till some silly ruddy gremlins, in the nVidia card, started mincing about with the PC. You've not done anything wrong at all, I have learned some other things, whilst using Paint, but there's the perfectionists side of me, that likes to get closer up, with the detail to all parts of the lamps I'm on with.

I've enjoyed messing about in Paint, but I think I'll try sumat else, to see how it goes, etc

The camera's incy wincy as well, not to mention the PC, it'll take more time getting used to other software, but will have a look at this here IrfanView, online first. The PC needs a shake up, possibly even the OS uninstalling, then installing back on. It keep hanging all the time, 3 to 4 times a day, some days; and always at the worst times.

Thanks Neil, more photo's over the next few months, got some goodies again, to get ship shape. Nose the the grind stone time, ditto.

Enjoy Christmas & the New Year.

Ho Ho Ho !

Jon. :)

10. jonathan fairbank

"Just adding extra scans of the 3/300, now its new vent finish has been completed" . . .

1425174431-DSCN2725.JPG

1425174462-DSCN2729.JPG

1425174523-DSCN2733.JPG

1425174564-DSCN2735.JPG

1425174634-DSCN2738.JPG

1425174682-DSCN2743.JPG

"Diamonds take time . . . . . ... . :content:

Cheers Tony P ;)

Jon.

11. JEFF JOHNSON

JEFF JOHNSON United Kingdom Subscriber

It's new again! :thumbup:

12. ROBBO55

ROBBO55 Subscriber

Looks really good :thumbup: :thumbup:
    Did you paint it or get it enameled?
    Martin

13. Jean J

Jean J Subscriber

What a gorgeous lamp and the colour of the hood is great, whatever it is.

14. jonathan fairbank

It was re-enamelled, the older skin had an unfortunate accident, so stripped it all off then looked for the particular colour I had to mind.

The swatch at the Co. who did it, just read "blue", but it wasn't, this is really quite close to "Seafoam", maybe just a tad darker, but to me though it's Turquoise (which is what I wanted). I had a 242 Coleman vent done in the same colour, only the donut/ washer effect didn't turn out too good round the apex, vent nut hole.

I'll add it in time, more than likely when an I.P.E orders arrived, I can't wait for this, there's some real beauties on their way :)

Cheers for the compliments, :thumbup:

Jon.

15. jonathan fairbank

He he ;) I like's 'em that way, but do also like to see the older the worn ones too.

Jon :thumbup:

16. Matty

Jon, a very nice looking lamp and a fine fettle by yourself.

Is anyone able to date this lamp, even roughly if need be?

17. jonathan fairbank

Hi Matty,

I'm "well late" on this reply, I hadn't known you'd asked a question so sorry about this; but with the age of this one, I think I'd hazard a guess at around mid to late 80's. Though that's only going on what the metals looked like, wear wise ?

I don't know how to date them, I was just so very glad to get it finally completed & very much appreciated all the help from the sites members here in. Without Tony for one, it'd still be "in repair" so I was lucky to say the least. . .; what I'd really like is to find one of those Cougars, with all the older fittings & "ships wheel" !
    Top Trumps them are, real rinky dinks for a play around & it's only a personell opinion, but they to me look much nicer than the standard 3/300; which is what I think mine is, so the dressage to the older ones basically, is what sets them apart.

Just an "arty" opinion, that's all :thumbup: !

Always a nice lantern though, this one here is definitely one of my favorites from the collection; I just have to look at that vent & go abit dithery. It's very lush, maybe too lush but I aren't complaining; I'm still a searching for a rough vent, so the beauty doesn't get heat scorched/ damaged.

Cheers,

Jon.

18. Tony Press

It's one of the later Austramax 3/300, before Austramax switched to the red plastic pressure release screw, and the squarish handle.

Jon, does it have a stainless steel bottom to the tank?

Tony

19. jonathan fairbank

Yo there Tony, . .. Yes, it does have a steel base & that was in real bad condition with Rust as thick as two wafers stuck to it; I was well relieved there were no pin holes, after it had all been cleared.

I need not witter on, but if my own isn't the 2/300 then is the 2/300 the Cougar model ? I really would like one of these, there's two ATM in .au the Bay and both vents look to have the perfectly applied icing sugar in lime green (same seller too for each/ unless listed twice) ?

Kind of a pity they mightn't be released (I haven't asked though yet, he he) :D/

Cheers,
    Jon.

20. Tony Press

Jon

The Cougar I saw recently was a 3/300. It had the modern 3/300 control knob that was stamped Cougar, not Austramax.

The 2/300 has the round control wheel.

I saw the Cougar on the Bay but can't find it now.

Tony

21. Nils Stephenson

Nils Stephenson Founder Member

The Cougar was produced at the same time as the first of the "square" handled 3/300 Austramaxes (later than the one here). That means it has the handle which is too narrow to fold down completely, still has the metal pump knob and pressure release screw and a stainless steel base. My guess is that there was only one batch made, so they should all be the same.

22. jonathan fairbank

Tony & Nils . ..

You'll be looking at either 2 or 3, currently listed which Aren't in the Links I'd just sent ya; these are 0K-ish but are rather Tatty & have seafoam or lighter coloured vents. The two Links from the three I'd sent you that Hopefully works, are the main lanterns I thought it good to send ya, the one link of Nils's lantern, has a blus vent & a very natty collar with some splendid 2/300 scroll/ stamp work on it.

It's below . .I had to down size it. Sorry Nil's, I hope ya don't mind :oops: ? he he. . . .

1463831716-Nils_Austramax_CPL_opt.png

"Maybe that's Not loaded" ??

. . . but if the other two Links have disappeared, or one of them, I'll check again later & send ya 'em again.

They're well worth a look and/ or a bid on both, the seem top draw to me; I think the seller might consider a double purchase, if I were there I'd have 'em both.

L1) http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/182128313840?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

L2) http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/182129341547?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

L3)Don't press this Link . . . it won't work Tony but why this seller has "two" different "item" N.o's, on perhaps only one lamp he or she's selling; but then find both URL's are twinned exactly, leading to either "one" or "two" lamps, is a mystery to me unless they've been loaded twice & eBay have a hold of the situation, I don't know ?

I read the 67 to 84 literature or topic, here within CPL and now understand the Cougar to have been a Camping brand concern name acquirement, who had an agreement to brand the Austramax 2/300, after their own line of retailing goods; maybe the answers there if I didn't get so mixed up, but I just hope there's still a lot of them around, as it seems they were made for a good long while.

I've cottoned on that for it be a "Cougar", it needs the tank inscription livery on it !

Wouldn't it make things easier on date manufacture, if the whole range of Austramax's and marks there of, were afforded just that; unless it is on my own AND the rust had just destroyed what was once there.

Keep a searching, if ya don't mind, for that vent I'm still needing; as all the scappers I notice, are hammered & wouldn't come up nice after a bead blasing (hope so, sure would be nice please Tony) ?

Oh, BTW, I've been for a long time now, experiencing serious problems loading to CPL and that includes 'scans' or just simple text & I'm hardly ever notified that a member/ user has forwarded me a message to read. It's really annoying, this one may also not be sent out BUT the sites supposed to be under improvements.

I hope so . . .

Cheers,

Jon.

Jon :thumbup: .

23. jonathan fairbank

Well, I'll also remember the LG5300 when looking to check !

Is there any thought to it's meaning out there, as it would be interesting to learn ?

Only thing I can come up with is "liquid gold, some 5300 feet up some mountain side, where a seam was bumped into by some climber fitting his pegs & then he had the Eureka moment & began business back down below. . . :^o . !

. .. . just a harmless parody, dat's all guys.

OOhhpss . . . Jon [-o<

24. jonathan fairbank

I'll keep searching for Cougar model though, did I miss the datelines of this models
    manufacture; I think I'd perused that it wasn't made for a long period of time, under the brand name exchange ?

I'll have a very good long read with what's so far being written with this topic, as well as the Austramax model's broader scope historical background. What I think would be a very interesting information, visually, would be old photographs of the factories where they were mostly manufactured; there might not seem much point to this I know, but I always like to put a name to a face (so to speak),

Does any site member/ user, happen to own some & might be able to load them, for us all to see ?

That'd be great, a nice little treat !

It's very difficult buying a new starter, I've found shipping to the US, seems easier than they might be sent to the UK; but it's such a beaut of a lantern, it's no wonder they're so difficult to track down & coerce from appreciators down under.

"Market days would be a very salivascious prospect, he he !

"Long live the Max .. .& I'll be lighting it up soon :thumbup: . .. . but the vent's out of the equation; it'll have to stay in its cotton wool, until . . . .

Jon.

25. Graham P

Graham P Australia Subscriber

Tried a search for (COUGAR CAMPING GEAR)"Trove" Nat Library of Australia no relevant result E/bay had 3 items of advertising 1977-80 for "COUGAR CAMPING GEAR". so it would be seem that the Austramax "Cougar 5300" although not illustrated is likely to be from that era.
    Woops!!!!
    This has already been covered by Colin in Tonebones post of his cougar

26. jonathan fairbank

OOooohps !, I'm a bit late inreplying, I've had a day out but it's good to learn that the Cougar namesake has an age of around 35 + yrs; hopefully that might be the lanterns age, the one I'm looking for, ect.

I will read the posts more soon, I know there's more info in CPL; but thanks for that nifty little emoticon ! What a Gas that that was; I'd like loads of them Graham , ta, nice one ! :clap:

It's the name and also the lantern, as well as the vent colours that entice me with these; Oh & the chrome and the pirate's wheel (can change if it comes with the round pointer . . . :o ) .. .

Jon.

27. Lamp_Doctor Australia

Yes I remember the cougar brand here.
    Yellow and green gas stoves with green gas bottles .
    Sold in Rays tent city.
    Bob .