Bialaddin 300X

Discussion in '300X' started by Nick Thurgood, Jul 3, 2020.

1. Nick Thurgood

Nick Thurgood United Kingdom Subscriber

I have recently found a Bialaddin 300X which I found at a car boot sale and managed to buy for £12.00, I think that I now have enough Tilley's in my collection!
    Hopefully someone may be able to answer my questions here.... I am guessing that this lantern would date from the early 1950's? Being a bit of a purist I am interested that the tank has a small one inch filler cap - on every other 300X that I have looked at on this site is this in fact correct?
    It does not look in too bad a condition overall so will give it a bit of a polish up. Also does anyone know what is the nearest colour of green for the tank? It almost looks like an early Land Rover green!
    Many thanks.

IMG_0575.JPEG IMG_0576.JPEG IMG_0578.JPEG IMG_0579.JPEG

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 3, 2020
  2. paul m

paul m Subscriber

I'd try to match the hood colour as that looks right....

3. David Shouksmith

David Shouksmith United Kingdom Founder Member

It looks fine to me, especially at £12 - the glass globe alone is worth far more than that. It looks hardly, if ever, used so, personally, I wouldn't spoil it by lighting it nor would I be bothering to even think about repainting the tank. But that's up to you, obviously.

The green / chrome / green combination is one that I've seen many times before and probably resulted when the manufacturers (Willis & Bates of Halifax) ran short of green collars and used chromed ones instead. They had a bit of a tendency to do that. Similarly the chrome preheater plate and pump in all probability.

Being a "purist" when it comes to Bialaddin and Vapalux is futile. Essentially, W&B got the basic design right at the start in 1940-ish so any subsequent changes are mainly cosmetic. Coupled to that, their major customer was the military who serviced the lanterns in large batches and covered them in olive-drab paint. As a result, the military 'bitza' is probably the most common Bialaddin / Vapalux lantern seen. You haven't got one of those which is all the more reason to keep your civilian model intact...

4. podbros

podbros United Kingdom Subscriber

Hi Nick! ...Your car boot find was a bargain! :)

I always thought that the model no. changed to 305X with the introduction of the smaller filler cap?

The photo gallery does seem to support this?

Because Willis and Bates parts are so interchangeable it is easy to fit parts from different models to each other as David pointed out..

It may be possible that your lantern was from a point in time when the two models were crossing over and a collar from a 300X was put on a 305X tank? Or it may have happened later or more recently?

Either way it is a really good find! Well done you :thumbup:

5. JEFF JOHNSON

JEFF JOHNSON United Kingdom Subscriber

6. BigStevie

BigStevie United Kingdom Subscriber

That was a bargain! Well done. As mentioned above, it looks totally original and I would consider leaving it as is. It’s a really nice example of the type.

7. ColinG

ColinG United Kingdom Subscriber

That was my understanding as well.