Bialaddin 305 screws

Discussion in 'Fettling Forum' started by Donal, Apr 24, 2018.

  1. Donal

    Offline
    Joined:
    Apr 24, 2018
    Messages:
    3
    Hi everyone,
    I am a bit of a newbie here, I got gifted a fairly pitted Bialladin 305 over the weekend and I am doing my best with it.

    The container is fairly pitted but I don't think I will take it down to the brass, it looks nice enough when cleaned. One thing that worried me was that there was putty on the outside of the container(and two lumps of it inside). Was this a usual repair for a leak? I have a feeling it might have been for seating the frame base but I will do a pressure test to see (once I get my new washers!).

    My question is about the screws, a few have been replaced previously with incorrect threads and lengths so I would like to replace them with the correct ones. The ones that go into the frame bars are the main concern, with the little star washers, would anyone be able to tell me what size they are? They don't appear on the documentation that I have found so far.

    Any wisdom that could be passed on to me would be greatly appreciated too!

    Thanks a million,
    Donal
     
  2. JEFF JOHNSON

    JEFF JOHNSON United Kingdom Subscriber

    Offline
    Joined:
    Nov 28, 2010
    Messages:
    6,961
    Location:
    Shetland Islands UK..
    Welcome aboard!:thumbup:
    Soldering is the usual repair method.
    Photographs will help us to assist you.
     
  3. ColinG

    ColinG United Kingdom Subscriber

    Online
    Joined:
    Oct 2, 2017
    Messages:
    898
    I know that the brass dome headed screws that attach the frame to the tank or fount are called 2BA - an old imperial size available from eBay relatively cheaply. The other screws are very likely an imperial size too but exactly which one I'm not sure. One thing's for sure, there are plenty of people willing to sell you 3 screws for £9.99 because they label them 'Bialaddin Screws' when they are only really worth a few pence. Be wise, shop around and ask questions - someone on here will know the answer.
     
  4. Donal

    Offline
    Joined:
    Apr 24, 2018
    Messages:
    3
    Thanks guys, I put in a few pics below, the screws that go into the container look salvageable but theres a few of the ones pictured below missing. I will try and find them locally first before going online.
    I put in a pic of the putty repair, hopefully it wasn't a leak.
    What is the recommended approach for the hood? I included a picture of it too, it's in pretty poor shape.

    Thanks for the warm welcome!

    IMG_20180422_182334.jpg IMG_20180422_182407.jpg IMG_20180424_211210.jpg IMG_20180424_211235.jpg
     
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 26, 2018
  5. ColinG

    ColinG United Kingdom Subscriber

    Online
    Joined:
    Oct 2, 2017
    Messages:
    898
    The putty stuff I'm not sure is actually putty but I'd have to see it in person to be sure. The 'collar' section comes away from the tank (fount or font) so there's no need to attach it using anything like putty or solder unless there's a leak and even then, that's a weird thing to do. As for the tiny screws, I might have one I could send in the post or at least one that would fit. Let me know.
     
  6. ColinG

    ColinG United Kingdom Subscriber

    Online
    Joined:
    Oct 2, 2017
    Messages:
    898
    Looking at the photo again I'd get yourself a set of seals and washers, strip the lamp down to components and try to get rid of as much of that gunk as humanly possible without damaging the underlying metal, then replace the seals, assemble it again and see what happens. The damage to the top enamelling is inevitable on old lamps. You'll find some perfect examples obviously but these lamps were intended for constant use and the enamel coating always chips and flakes in the end.
     
  7. Donal

    Offline
    Joined:
    Apr 24, 2018
    Messages:
    3
    I just wanted to thank everyone for all the advice here! I replaced all the seals and did a water test, and it seems to be ok, no obvious leaks! The stuff stuck to it was indeed putty, and painted with some kind of metallic paint, so I took off as much as possible without damaging the chrome.
    The control knob didn't disassemble and the hood is a bit too far gone to fix but I might have another go at it when I have more time.
    I still have to try it out with some paraffin, but even if it doesn't work well, I am still happy with it! They seem to be lovely (and addictive) little pieces of kit.
    Donal

    IMG_20180514_220930.jpg
     
    Last edited by a moderator: May 15, 2018
  8. ROBBO55

    ROBBO55 Subscriber

    Offline
    Joined:
    Oct 21, 2014
    Messages:
    845
    Location:
    Somersby, New South Wales, Australia
    Congratulations Donald , it's a big improvement on what you started with. :thumbup:
     
  9. ColinG

    ColinG United Kingdom Subscriber

    Online
    Joined:
    Oct 2, 2017
    Messages:
    898
    That looks very nice now! We'll done.
     
  10. george

    george Subscriber

    Offline
    Joined:
    Nov 8, 2011
    Messages:
    322
    Location:
    USA
    I think it looks GREAT!!!!:D/
     
  11. bp4willi Germany

    Offline
    Joined:
    Jan 21, 2014
    Messages:
    174
    Location:
    Niers, Germany
    Lovely shiny lantern.
     

Share This Page