Bialaddin 310

Discussion in 'Pressure Lamp Discussion Forum' started by ThosKiwi, Oct 16, 2016.

1. ThosKiwi

Hello
    Up till recently I've been collecting Coleman Toronto lanterns and on the odd occasion lamps.
    Well sometimes, I come across items too good to pass up on.
    Well yesterday I was looking for a s/hand drill press vice and I saw this:- 1476657129-Bialaddin_Kiri_opt.jpg
    And in a moment of weakness I offered $30 including tax and it was accepted.
    1476657142-BialaddinFountUnderside_opt.jpg

The vent has been well scorched and the porcelein severely crazed in many places....
    It is missing the preheat cup as well. I should be able to fabricate one..
    The fount paint is mostly gone....the remains bear a resemblance to Coleman Seafoam green...but I might be wrong there..
    I oiled the pump leather and it now pumps smoothly.
    The globe is marked Bialaddin..
    I am very happy with it....it appears to be nicely proportioned lantern and very well made.

Cheers
    ThomasL (B.C.)
    p.s. Jeff's posts on the CCF were very helpful and probably responsible for my moment of weakness.

Attached Files:

2. phaedrus42

phaedrus42 Subscriber

Well worth the effort to fettle and perhaps repaint! They are very quiet compared to the Colemans, odour free for indoor use and as bright as a 220.

I would recommend fitting a new seal kit from the Fettlebox and cleaning out the vapouriser.

The original fount colour on this one was close to seafoam but they also came in silver, chrome (and red?). You can make it any colour you like :lol:

A replacement control cock knob and spirit cup with fibreglass wick is available from ebay or you could PM member PaulM here.

3. David Shouksmith

David Shouksmith United Kingdom Founder Member

I've only ever seen them in green paint with green enamel (two different shades which looks a bit odd to my eye) and chrome plate with the same green enamel. The 310 shade of green enamel is lighter than the usual Willis & Bates green seen on other lanterns.

I can't ever recall seeing a silver-painted tank or a red hood on a Bialaddin 310 but as all parts are interchangeable, it's quite likely some 'mix and match' has taken place over the years in order to keep a lantern running...

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 31, 2017
  4. ThosKiwi

Thank you for all the information Phil and David..

I'm first going to do a full check for stress-cracks on the fount.
    That may have been why the fount paint was stripped.
    After that I do a basic fettle and possible test light.
    Cheers
    ThomasL

5. phaedrus42

phaedrus42 Subscriber

I stand corrected, David; I was thinking of a silver and red 315.