Bialaddin 315 - First proper fettle

Discussion in 'Fettling Forum' started by Scott D, Sep 27, 2020.

1. Scott D

Scott D United Kingdom Subscriber

02D6A2E5-5D9A-4CB6-99C3-22D293A740BA.jpeg It arrived with a cracked glass and fairly ropey paintwork and the enamel on the hood was fairly well burnt through. It was an eBay bargain!

I ordered a matching glass that never showed up (PayPal claim) and then being unable to find another matching glass went for the base camp equivalent and ordered a new hood.

Debated to what extent I fettled overall but I figured that with the new glass and hood I’d go for the newish look and respray the fount, leaving the underside unpainted, for reference.

9FB89DC0-0A78-48AE-A004-619B2198DE2B.jpeg 7EFC8970-3F82-4272-BC95-00BDEC6303C6.jpeg 54145832-FBC9-4198-BDDB-30E54A4FD7C0.jpeg

I was dreading the spray painting but watched a few YouTube tutorials and practiced on a couple of baked bean tins. It went much better than expected. (Used a Hammerite Smooth Silver)

Everything else was reused but stripped back (Vinegar bath, wire wool, wet and dry or Dremel etc) and polished then rebuilt with new seals. Left the cage and handle bare and just buffed them. New decal was fiddly and I can probably get that better next time. A coat of clear film helped it though.

First lighting was a bit shaky, no hiss and no pop to start with but it eventually went. A few pumps and it was glowing. But after about 30 seconds the fuel cut out. Lit the pre heater again and got it going but it kept cutting out and then kicking back in. I’m assuming a bit of debris in the system which is no surprise given the amount of wire wool and dremel buffing wheel particles that have been flying around (I did rinse the fount before lighting). Anyway after a minute or two of spluttering, away it went and has burned well for 30 minutes now.

2871CF16-2237-45E4-B718-8CBC68B6B537.jpeg A1497B73-C033-4CED-9639-DCD5E19991C2.jpeg 5E94760B-9834-4BCC-93E6-509C91B3E821.jpeg 4A3EE27F-EFBC-403F-B567-B88F5DB9E374.jpeg 6446A75C-0BAF-483E-AAB0-0C86249E6B96.jpeg D7994F74-F2DF-4C36-A977-A70A7E642ADF.jpeg

For a first proper attempt I’m pleased with the end result and certainly learned a lot.

Now owning a Tilley 246a and the Bialaddin 315, I’m certainly more impressed with the engineering of the Bialaddin and think it will get used more. But it’s the variations that make it so interesting.

Many thanks to those that advised me along the way!

Last edited: Sep 27, 2020
  2. 0P30

0P30 United Kingdom Subscriber

Looks amazing :D

3. BigStevie

BigStevie United Kingdom Subscriber

That’s looking really good Scott, you must be chuffed. Another old lamp lives again...
    All the variations? Hope you’ve plenty of shelf space!

I can recommend getting copies of Ian Ashton’s book ‘Vapalux and Bialaddin pressure lamps’ and also Jim Dick’s book ‘Tilley, the versatile vapour lamp’. Both great reference sources.

4. David Shouksmith

David Shouksmith United Kingdom Founder Member

Well, that transfer/decal looks pretty good to me - you could be getting orders from folk on here... :thumbup:

You shouldn't be having any bother getting the correct globe for that - they're two-a-penny in the UK...

5. JEFF JOHNSON

JEFF JOHNSON United Kingdom Subscriber

Well saved!:thumbup::thumbup:

6. george

george United States Subscriber

@Scott D Boy, beautiful restoration job, Scott! You should be really proud of this one!
    Wish I lived closer to you, I have a couple here begging for a restoration!! lol
    ;)
    :thumbup::thumbup:

7. Scott D

Thanks guys, I am really pleased with it. Have well and truly got the bug now! On the look out for the next project. Thinking older Tilley or getting my head around a petromax.

8. paparazi

Lovely job mate, strange that the short cylinder glass and metal retaining collar from a late M320, proved easier to get than the correct glass. As David said, these are perhaps the most common glass available for Vapalux/Bialaddin.

9. Scott D

I wonder if it had the wrong glass in to start with. Or maybe I just didn’t know what I was looking for. Anyway, I’m not clued up Enough to be too bothered about the inaccuracy, yet. Something I can swap over as part of a future restoration.

10. AussiePete

AussiePete Australia Subscriber

@Scott D
    You have done an excellent job of restoration. She looks a real treat and runs well. Well done mate.
    Now to the next lantern :D/

Where did you get the new decal from?

Cheers
    Pete

Last edited: Sep 27, 2020
  11. ROBBO55

ROBBO55 Subscriber

Scott, you have done a very nice job on that lantern, congratulations :thumbup:

12. Scott D

13. M.Meijer

M.Meijer Subscriber

A first time job - you could have fooled me! This shade of paint looks right on the money too. Remarkable that you were able to find a decal but not the glass, but I sense you will end up with the right items to exchange in the future.
    That is, a stepped bottom glas with red lettering and a late model Vapalux 320 lamp with the extra protector ring in it's cage.
    By the way, a waterslide decal is not (always) supposed to stick firmly but ususally applied before a clear coat of paint.
    Congratulations with this result!

14. Fireexit1

Fireexit1 United Kingdom Subscriber

You can see that no effort was spared here - and it looks really excellent.
    Well done Scott.
    Chris

15. Alex Smith

Alex Smith United Kingdom Subscriber

That is lovely, you must be pleased.

16. george

george United States Subscriber

@Scott D This is a first class restoration if I have ever saw one!!:D/ You have a real talent for a beautiful restoration job! :clap::thumbup:
    BEAUTIFUL !!!

17. Scott D

Thanks guys! Next project, a 300x, already on the way! I tried my local car boot sale at the weekend trying to find something interesting but came away empty handed. I guess it’s a case of perseverance and a bit of luck. Thinking of heading to a more rural sale as perhaps the odds of finding something are better.

18. M.Meijer

M.Meijer Subscriber

One can reason into eternity, but happenstance is based on no logic imo. Perhaps the most applicable - and understood - factor is 'luck'. You Brits even incorporated it into a wish. So "Hals und Beinbruch"!

19. Fireexit1

Fireexit1 United Kingdom Subscriber

"Bus logic" - the more you need a bus, the less likley it is to turn up when you want it, and then just as you give up, three of the same appear....

20. Jean J

Jean J Subscriber

Car boots, are they still being held during this pandemic? BTW, your Bialaddin looks absolutely fantastic.

21. paul m

paul m Subscriber

There's one near me on every Sunday....load of crap like...but it's on

22. Scott D

I think car boot sales can happen under the National guidance but tighter local restrictions have stopped some. Think I’ll just keep an eye on eBay for the time being, very few bargains on there but it’s worth a few more pounds if I don’t have to get up at 5am on a Sunday morning. Much safer for now too.

23. Mr cod

Mr cod Subscriber

Theres been plenty of car boot sales here in Norfolk this year but very little in the way of lamps for sale , I've only found one bialaddin 310, but I did find an original tilley table lamp shade in champagne which only cost me one pound, I just love a bargain.
    Ian