It arrived with a cracked glass and fairly ropey paintwork and the enamel on the hood was fairly well burnt through. It was an eBay bargain! I ordered a matching glass that never showed up (PayPal claim) and then being unable to find another matching glass went for the base camp equivalent and ordered a new hood. Debated to what extent I fettled overall but I figured that with the new glass and hood I’d go for the newish look and respray the fount, leaving the underside unpainted, for reference. I was dreading the spray painting but watched a few YouTube tutorials and practiced on a couple of baked bean tins. It went much better than expected. (Used a Hammerite Smooth Silver) Everything else was reused but stripped back (Vinegar bath, wire wool, wet and dry or Dremel etc) and polished then rebuilt with new seals. Left the cage and handle bare and just buffed them. New decal was fiddly and I can probably get that better next time. A coat of clear film helped it though. First lighting was a bit shaky, no hiss and no pop to start with but it eventually went. A few pumps and it was glowing. But after about 30 seconds the fuel cut out. Lit the pre heater again and got it going but it kept cutting out and then kicking back in. I’m assuming a bit of debris in the system which is no surprise given the amount of wire wool and dremel buffing wheel particles that have been flying around (I did rinse the fount before lighting). Anyway after a minute or two of spluttering, away it went and has burned well for 30 minutes now. For a first proper attempt I’m pleased with the end result and certainly learned a lot. Now owning a Tilley 246a and the Bialaddin 315, I’m certainly more impressed with the engineering of the Bialaddin and think it will get used more. But it’s the variations that make it so interesting. Many thanks to those that advised me along the way!