Bialaddin air buttons

Discussion in 'Fettling Forum' started by Alby, Oct 6, 2019.

1. Alby

Alby Subscriber

Just a little problem .... x 3 of them actually .. Well I came by a Bialaddin 310 in half decent condition .. it cost me only a few quid . intact... and I could not resist ... a lamp glass can cost £15 so .. it comes into my stable of lamps .. it is in fair condition .. scrubbed up OK ..

Spent some time cleaning , emerying , de-spiderfying , putting in new NRV pip and seals , good leather washer ..swirling out the tank with decades of detritus in , de oxidising the cage, glass cleaned up as new . sorting the pre heater ,, new tank seals , heat and quench vapouriser .. a palm full of carbon eventually came out of it .. never seen as much .. ... now the Top ..part

Stop there ..the three burner air buttons have a mind of their own .. they are well and truly solid and staying put.. despite applying applying heat .. plumbers gas gun ..soaking in penetrating oil ..
    and a quick psych myself up with pliers of various types .. strength .. the little air buttons stayed firmly put where their maker and manufacture intended them to be and used for .. mmmm

So I ask ...:?:

1. Did Bialaddin ever make a little tool of some description to grip onto the 4 air holes ?
    2. If not suggestions if I can make one myself .. or indeed if there is such a tool.
    3. Do I have to remove the little blighters ? To clean properly the burner .. Other than a quick
    rub with wire wool is all I can do .. lamp works / and lights very good
    4. The top of the lamp though has seen better days.. there is rust / paint missing / one or two pin
    prick holes.. I could damage it easily with force I feel .. but its solid enough ..

I did what I could do ... so Ssrgery on a new Chinese Anchor mantle... burnt in .. I fired up the 310 up on your very finest 28 second kero .. Its been running solid all last night at the front of my drive .. mmmm !
    very nicely ..

Love to sort the air buttons and burner though ... any thoughts / ideas from you learned experts out
    there .. ;)

2. Mackburner

Mackburner United Kingdom Founder Member Subscriber

I think best advice here is if it ain't broke don't fix it. If the lamp runs well then the burner won't need a clean out.
    They can be hard to remove sometimes. I normally slip a small screwdriver across two opposing holes to get a better purchase on the buttons but you run the danger of unscrewing the air tubes and that is never a good idea. Heat and quench will do the job but doing that with the burner in the hood destroys the enamel and anything less than dull red heat probably won't work. Leave them in and move on. ::Neil::

3. george

george United States Subscriber

Sounds like you 310 is running very good so if it was me, I would leave it alone. These are a great lantern. [-X:D/:thumbup:

4. JEFF JOHNSON

JEFF JOHNSON United Kingdom Subscriber

That's sound advice from Neil and George and I concur with them and the air buttons may loosen up if the lantern is used.

5. ColinG

ColinG United Kingdom Subscriber

I've managed to undo extremely stubborn Bialaddin air buttons but I had to make a special wooden tool to do it!

2019-10-06 23.10.01.jpg

2019-10-06 23.12.01.jpg

The would I used was a hard wood - a soft wood like pine or similar is too soft. The hole needs to be roughly 1mm smaller than the diameter of the air tube to work and even then the clamping pressure to hold it in placr can feel scarily huge but it has never deformed the shape of the brass tube.

I concede that you might need to remove the tube from the mixing chamber for this to work but often there's only one of them won't budge and you can juggle things around in such a way that it'll work.

I use a small screwdriver through the air button holes to provide the torque required

Hope this helps.

6. Alby

Alby Subscriber

Thanks Guys .. some sound advice there from all of you ... I will keep you posted in due course..:thumbup:

7. R100

R100 United Kingdom Subscriber

The buttons were an absolute pain to remove on my Bialaddin too. I wire brushed as much crud from around the tube/button joint as possible then soaked the joints with acetone/three in one oil mix for several days. (Thanks for the tip from this forum). In between times I heated the button heads with a micro flame torch several times. (Careful where acetone and flames come together!). After a week of trying to loosen them, they finally succumbed to a suitably sized allen key inserted through opposing holes. (Oh yes, I also used a selection of magic words which I am not at liberty to disclose on a family forum[-X).

8. AussiePete

AussiePete Australia Subscriber

@R100
    I do agree that the use of those magic words certain helps.
    I have also found that that these magic words have healing properties. For instance when one bangs ones finger with a hammer, or you burn your fingers on a hot lantern hood, the magic words help the body deal with the pain.
    Cheers
    Pete

9. R100

Those words are exactly the words to which I was alluding. Isn't the English language wonderful?

10. Alby

Alby Subscriber

All and sundry ... ** EUREKA ** ...... There are three little difficulties I do not now possess ... Following from the learned advice from R100 ..( thank you .. you must have owned a R100 BMW motorcycle or still own one with a handle like that .... or admired an Airship R100 maybe Barnes Wallace and all that 1929.. nay ..;)

So I drilled out to about 3 mm one of the 6 holes straight through on 1 air button ... some heat and
    soakage of Screwfix's finest No nonsense Penetrating oil .. mmm massive 750 cl can .. last a lifetime .. inserted 3 mm Allen key after heat .. flames etc .. gave it some welly and it budged .. more and more..
    :thumbup: :lol: ... now I am on a roll now .. all three done .. all for the sake of a bit of grease .. so I defeated old father time more 60 years use and never budged on this 310. ...:D/

Thanks all ..:)

11. R100

Congratulations and well done. So satisfying when all goes well.

12. AussiePete

AussiePete Australia Subscriber

Well done @Alby persistence wins the day.
    Cheers
    Pete