1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

bialaddin and monitor fire bowl metal guard chroming??

Discussion in 'Fettling Forum' started by ms germaine, Jun 11, 2018.

1. ms germaine

ms germaine Subscriber

I have both a bialaddin and a monitor fire bowl to restore.

luckily, both of their respective metal heat guard wire shields are in unbent and untwisted condition apart from the original chrome plating which is rusty and patchy on both guards.

My question is have any of you ever tried to get these wire guards professionally replated or even used one of the DIY plating kits with success??

I am very tempted to bead blast them clean and then repaint in a silver heat proof paint but I know this would never look original.

On both of my guards and especially the monitor one, there are still remains of the original chrome plating which is very well done and thick copper plate under very thick chrome plate.

I think for a company to recreate this process would be very expensive but it would be good to see what you think.

Regards,
    Mike

2. ateallthepies

It would certainly be possible to replate with a diy kit but a lot of work depending on the finish quality you are after. It’s all in the preparation as what you see before you plate is what you see after. Best results would require going back to base metal or at a push back to the Copper. Then vigorous polishing then cleaning then replate the Copper and then repolish and clean before the Chrome.
    I replated a couple of bowlfire reflectors a few years ago and it was a success although my preparation was lacking so I saw all the imperfections and scratches through the shiny new Chrome but it was Chromed at least!
    Not having taken anything to a professional plater I do know costs can be reduced if you can get back to clean bright Steel yourself.

3. JonD

JonD Subscriber

Platers are quite averse to doing Chrome today...
    Look for the Classic Car Guys and where they are getting bumpers and overriders done - or not.

It has the problem of killing the staff AFIK.