Bialaddin Bowl Fire.

Discussion in 'Bowl Fires & Heaters' started by Matty, Jul 2, 2015.

1. Matty

This example is pretty rough around the edges.I have read there are three types of the bowl fire. I liked it because it looks complete and though rough, I think it will come up well.

I'd appreciate it if anyone could tell me where this one fits and perhaps even a rough date.

The seller took these pictures. I figured I couldn't do any better.

1435828100-__20.JPG

1435828130-__20__1_.JPG 1435828153-__20__2_.JPG 1435828184-__20__3_.JPG 1435828210-__20__4_.JPG

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 1, 2017
  2. Jean J

Jean J Subscriber

I can't give you a date Matty but I see that it has the stepped down handle which makes it a later model. Someone with more knowledge will probably tell you exactly when it dates to.

3. Matty

Thanks Jean,

You have given me more info than I knew, appreciated.

4. spiritburner

spiritburner Admin

I see loads of these at Newark & I've had several myself. We use one camping when it's cooler & in the workshop. I've not really given any thought to the age & wasn't aware of the stepped handle. I'd always assumed 1950's to early 60's.

What are the dates for this model & the design changes that determine lineage?

Does it feature in Ian Ashton's book?

5. Mackburner

Mackburner United Kingdom Founder Member Subscriber

There are indeed three types. Dates are :-

F600 Handle base plate flat, vertical steel support between top & bottom of steel handle. Pouring spout fixed to pre-heat cup. Fixing pin on cup through reflector. Alloy air vent fixed to air intake at rear of reflector. 1954

F600 As above but without spout, fixing pin, or alloy air vent. 1955 – approx 1957

F2700 Bowl fire as above but handle base plate has a crank offset and there is no vertical support. Approx 1957- 1961

::Neil::

6. David Shouksmith

David Shouksmith United Kingdom Founder Member

...and the hole in the reflector for the spirit cup fixing pin persisted throughout the production period. Presumably W&B saw no need to alter the tooling.

Matty, your example is scruffy but looks complete and is well worth restoring. The reason Ross sees so many at Newark and uses one himself is that they're an excellent bit of kit and collectors tend to prefer them over the Tilley equivalent. I'd strip and respray the tank and handle (a Rover colour called Arum Lily - or maybe it's Arum White) is a decent match to the original, but you'll find something near enough in Oz), polish the reflector, guard and the other assorted metal parts then away you go.

The only thing that worries me a bit is that blob of what appears to be Bondo under the tank. They're prone to stress cracking at that point and I wonder if that's a repair. Hope that helps... :thumbup:

7. Matty

Everything posted indeed helped, thanks to all.

David, elsewhere, I read that you mentioned the green knob is usually associated with the Imber model. This heater has the red badge but green knob. Is that unusual?

The blob you saw was a spiders web. The tank is in great shape, even after blowing my oven door open and catching fire at the pump hole. The paint needs to be redone is all, thankfully.

8. David Shouksmith

David Shouksmith United Kingdom Founder Member

Green knob with I.R. on it for Imber Research. Green knob with Bialaddin on it sounds like a replacement from a lantern. No sweat though, they're all interchangeable.

:shock: I hope it's not one of those funnel-web jobbies that bite you on the ar$e when you're in the dunny... =;

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 31, 2017
  9. Matty

David, firstly, thanks for the green knob information.

Secondly, all jokes aside, the Funnel Web spider is a really nasty arachnid. Growing up In Sydney I've encountered them more than once. You may be doing some gardening and uncover one of them. They will crouch down on their back legs and raise their front legs and face you. They will leap at you to bite you. They are a big spider and they are not to be messed with because they can and have killed. Thankfully I have never been bitten by one.

I have been bitten by a Redback spider (Americans' call them Black Widow) and apart from some discomfort not too many dramas.

A spider that did cause me dramas after it bit me was the White Tailed spider. Again, a large spider, it bit me on the stomach while I was in bed. It was an extremely painful bite. I had at first thought I'd dropped a lit smoke (I don't smoke in bed) and leapt out of bed. I saw the spider hit the carpet and realised what had happened. I hit that sucker with a shoe so many times it was just atoms.

The wound was painful and over the next 6 weeks kept growing. The spiders venom kills the tissue of it's victim and it continues to kill so the wound spreads. I can't find the photos of my experience but here is a photo of some other poor blokes experience.

1436913285-whitetip.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 31, 2017
  10. spiritburner

spiritburner Admin

I've got a green knob. :shock:

I wondered about that blob being a web.

I got a nasty dose of cellulitus after a spider bite. Nowt to do with venom. It got me on some cracked skin on my elbow & it got infected. It was one of them False Widow ones we get here in Blighty. A week of IV antibiotics.

11. Matty

Usually, that's not associated with spider bites. Widows yes, spiders no.