'Bialaddin' mantles - beware because they're not!

Discussion in 'Fettling Forum' started by ColinG, Jul 3, 2019.

1. ColinG

ColinG United Kingdom Subscriber

The Bialaddin mantles arrived... problem is they're standard, single tie Butterfly No. 4D mantles. Essentially it doesn't matter as I can use them anyway, but I was hoping for twin tied mantles to save me the trouble of picking them apart when I use them on a Tilley or a Bialaddin.

This is what I assumed i would get, I just hoped for better.

IMG_4129.JPG

IMG_4131.JPG

IMG_4130.JPG

2. David Shouksmith

David Shouksmith United Kingdom Founder Member

If these came via eBay then I'd be giving honest feedback i.e. a negative along with a comment stating exactly what you received. That would at least warn potential purchasers what is actually being sold here - not as listed... :a :x

3. ColinG

You're absolutely right David but I was too tired yesterday and family problems got in the way. The thing is, original listing has gone so all I can really do is contact the seller... which I've done, but at least if I mention it here it'll give everyone a chance to avoid making a mistake. In the feedback I've said that the item was not as described but for £3 I'm not going to go to far - it's not worth the effort.

Last edited: Jul 4, 2019
  4. MYN

That's unfortunate Colin.
    Anyway, I'd bet those Butterfly ones you've just received would be Thoriated, unlike some of the earlier ones you bought.
    Check out the difference on the logos.

5. ColinG

Good point, I'll check the packets.

6. paparazi

I had the exact same order delivered, the issue is that there are 4 - 5 pictures, one showing a two tie mantel, the others unclear, so on that basis I ordered some. I did message them 3 times asking in very plain language 'are these single tie or two tie mantels and each time they just kept referring me back to the pictures, I don't think they could understand so it was the easiest thing for them to do, so yes! I ordered some hoping they were double tie but came single. Like you say, you can unpick one end, bit of a pain though, however, I do have several lamps using single tie mantel sooo.

Martin

7. Simon Cresswell United Kingdom

Those were the ones I was going to order. Then asked the questions here in the forum. I am glad now as I wouldn't have a clue how to fit those.

8. JEFF JOHNSON

JEFF JOHNSON United Kingdom Subscriber

The Butterfly mantles which I have used became very small once they were burned off and in my opinion, they were not suitable for the 500 cp., Petromax type of lanterns, but they were okay on smaller less powerful single tie mantle lanterns.
    However, it's possible that the ones which I received were a bad batch.

9. ColinG

In all honesty, it's very hard to know if you're getting genuine Butterfly mantles or copies.

This is a Butterfly fitted to a Bialaddin 300X. I tend to use them like this almost exclusively and they work fine.

2019-07-09 15.11.24.jpg