Bialaddin T10

Discussion in 'Pressure Lamp Discussion Forum' started by Gary Waller, Nov 23, 2020.

1. Gary Waller

Gary Waller Subscriber

Hi
    I have just been fettling this T10, appears quite original (yes apart from the glass) the paint is chipping off in a number of places, this lets it down somewhat. Question is has anyone re-painted one of these if so would you be able recommend a suitable make and colour of paint?
    70F6AFE0-7F0B-4405-9483-8F84106D89CD.jpeg F90D64D7-E5AC-48B5-BAE5-406B17899E94.jpeg

2. David Shouksmith

David Shouksmith United Kingdom Founder Member

From what I can remember, it's the same as the Tilley colour - Rover Arran Beige or Arum Lily or somesuch.

If neither of those is a proper match, I'd take the lamp to your local motor factor who can match the paint, mix it and stick it in an aerosol can for you. The lamp's probably 60 years old so there's no need to have an exact match to anything because the original colour would have changed over the years anyway. Having said that, the paint underneath the tank is likely to be nearest to whatever it originally was when new...

3. Tony Press

Tony Press Australia Subscriber

Stinkpot Bay, Howden, Tasmania, Australia
    David is correct. A near match is Halford’s (or Holt’s) Rover Arum White.

Cheers

Tony

4. Sedgman

Sedgman Subscriber

I would follow the good advice already provided if you are not replacing the ventilator at the top.

However, if you are, I would obtain the replacement top first as the colors vary a bit. The slotted and top with holes are both available as replacement (replica) parts. The slotted ones are 'earlier'. Nothing worse than painting the fount and then getting a new top that is slightly off.

Nice lamp. :thumbup:

5. paul m

paul m Subscriber

I'm pretty sure the holed tops are earlier...

6. Sedgman

Sedgman Subscriber

@Mackburner @george

Hi @paul m

I'm inclined to think the opposite; that the slots are first and perhaps date a T10 to the very early 50s. Here is what I came across that makes me think this. These are what I have seen in the Gallery.

Firstly, Neil responded to an initial post putting the unusual T10 shapes as possibly 1950-1960, by saying the Bialaddin T10s are from about 1950 to 1956 in this quote:

So I presume he meant the T10 range, and not the specific model in that thread, which happened to have the holes in the cowl.

Secondly, George is the only person who has commented on this in the Gallery and he states:

Thirdly, In the book Aladdin Kerosene Lamps in Australia by A. Hodson on p195 he refers to this model from an Australian catalog being the earliest full catalog he has seen (1952) and the page there shows the slots.

Lastly, the Lamp Reference Library has a Bialaddin 'catalog' from an Aladdin one dated 1950-1951 and it shows the T10 cowl with slots. It can be seen here:

https://classicpressurelamps.com/threads/1950-1951-aladdin-catalogue.2116/

Regards

Last edited: Nov 24, 2020
  7. Gary Waller

Gary Waller Subscriber

Hi all
    Many thanks for the comments, I have seen the repo tops from Tiawan not sure I want to go down that route though. The Rover Arum White looks a close match so I may procure some of that, or a I may leave it un- restored.....:-k
    I have taken are picture of the transfer underneath, its in very good condition, not sure if that helps with the "holed or slotted" debate, re dating.
    IMG_7933.jpg

8. paul m

paul m Subscriber

Just checked in Ian Ashtons book and i was wrong, it went from slots to holes ...you learn something new everyday

9. Sedgman

Sedgman Subscriber

Should mention and clarify, that the replica cowl with holes is actually English or British made and good quality; not that it would suit yours.

10. Pancholoco1911 United States

I have one like your but I the gallery have holes and no slots. I don't like to restore (paint) my lamps/lanterns, just clean and polish