Bialaddin vap tube Brass thread size

Discussion in 'Fettling Forum' started by ateallthepies, Apr 27, 2018.

1. ateallthepies

Does anyone know the thread size of the Bialaddin Vapouriser Brass screw end that goes into the control valve please? It’s 8mm diameter but it’s not metric M8 and it’s almost but not quite imperial 3/16ths.
    I may have asked this before on here but I’ve searched google and couldn’t find anything.

2. David Shouksmith

David Shouksmith United Kingdom Founder Member

Thread sizes and types are complete voodoo mumbo-jumbo to me, but if they're anything like Tilley, they'll have used their own... :roll: :doh:

I'm sure someone clever like Ray ( @longilily ) will be along at some point and tell us what it is...

3. ateallthepies

I have an imperial set of taps and dies but not sure what type and whether it’s standard or fine or whatever size?

4. David Shouksmith

David Shouksmith United Kingdom Founder Member

5. DP2

I suspect it might be 1/8" BSP parallel.

6. Handi-man Australia

I measured the Tilley X246 vapouriser thread and it does not match any standard thread. I think they used their own size threads to prevent others copying their parts. Maybe Bialaddin did the same .

7. primaxel

image.jpeg image.jpeg
    I searched for this thread a few years ago... and i become the idea it is a little bit different to the british standad threads!?
    I messure it and built it by my one:
    Regards, Frank

8. ateallthepies

Ah thanks for that. Looks like as with the Tilley it’s a unique size to stop diy copying?
    I was going to try to replicate these steel tubes but with a replaceable jet arrangement that I finally got to work well....more on that later! If the screw in part can’t be copied it might be a case of just fettling original worn out vap tubes to bring back to life, making them fully serviceable as well.
    I have a couple of spare Bialaddin control cocks so migh try re-tapping to a metric size or imperial and try making a diy vap tube again, I have the steel tube and some brass bits on order so it should be fun trying!
    Will let you know of any good progress.

9. primaxel

Aah, i fotget... the messure results in the (...) comes from a Tilley X246B:content:
    Regards, Frank

10. Norman

Norman United States Subscriber

11. Handi-man Australia

It is possible to make a suitable bespoke hand tap if you have a lathe on hand . I got hold of some drill rod and I made a odd size tap for something , I think it was a ACME thread. After the machining is done, the drill rod is hardened by heating to red then quenched and tempered.

Most lathes have a thread cutting ability, it's fairly easy to learn how to cut your own threads. Brass tubing is cheap on EBAY or even stainless tubing 10mm is dirt cheap

12. Norman

Norman United States Subscriber

@Handi-man

To answer your question yes it is possible to make a suitable thread pattern with a lathe.
    Of course one would need to do some practising to learn to do it properly.

Tilley, Vapalux and Bialaddin use there own thread pattern for their products. It can be reproduced but it will take lots of practise to get it right.

13. primaxel

@Norman
    Yes, the diameter and the thread gradiant are standard but the angle is different to standard threads.
    That is what messured at the original parts.
    I built a tool with the correct angel and reproduced the thread at the lathe.
    Regards, Frank

14. ateallthepies

The trouble is it’s the Die that’s needed. I could see making a Tap on a lathe but a Die?

15. JonD

JonD Subscriber

A die is only needed to cut the thread if you don't have a lathe.

I think Frank made a cutting tool for his lathe with the required 50deg angle and then cut the thread using
    the screw cutting gears.

I'm wondering what would be the consequence of using a standard 60deg die.
    Might need to cut a little deeper perhaps. If I had one and some suitable brass scraps I would play with it.
    (Have a tap/die set and it might contain one, I know some sizes in it have more than one pitch - pigs might also fly)

16. ateallthepies

648A179A-970A-4BD2-8A10-F4CB7EF8DA62.jpeg 1021E368-F1A6-4E08-93E5-FE1CD8EE26D6.jpeg Something strange just happened!! The postman just delivered a Brass fitting I was gonna have a play with. On trying to screw into a Bialaddin control cock it went in just perfect?? It’s an M8 x 1 mm threaded connector. I tried it in another spare cock and it went in almost all the way but bound up a bit with a few turns to go!

17. JonD

JonD Subscriber

yes - that is how a pitch error shows up. Not too bad for the first few turns then it begins to get tight - if you carry on - then something gets terminally mangled.
    I think we are a bit crossed here about Bialaddin and Tilley. No saying they are the same threads.

That brass cock you have is not the aluminium body one that I have on an X246B - which is the one Frank measured up.
    Can you be sure that both the cocks you tried to mate are from the same source? Could it be M8x1 on Bialladdin and M8x 0.75 on Tilley for example?

I'm sorry I don't recognise that double male adaptor in your pictures you have used for comparison - whats that?
    Frank had something in his drawing somewhat similar. (Me, not knowing anything of Bialaddin - I have never seen one)

18. ateallthepies

Yep I’m on about Bialaddin Vap tube threads here. My control cocks are all Bialaddin. The M8 x 1 brass hose connector screwed in perfectly on one cock and maybe one whole turn less on the other? I was amazed that it did as I thought they used a unique thread size. M8 x 1 or M8 Fine was almost spot on, I wasn’t aware Metric was even used when these were made?
    It may be just pot luck that it fits my two spare cocks but I have four other complete lamps to try it in! Maybe it’s just a near match thread size that will fit some and not others?

Maybe if this works out for Bialaddin Vaps I may try it for Tilley?

19. ROBBO55

ROBBO55 Subscriber

@at
    I don't know if Bialaddin and Tilley have the same thread but in this post Afterburner measured the thread on a Tilley using a Nikon Measurement microscope. Threading question for loco-Stu and other gearheads

Hope it helps

20. Tony Press

Tony Press Australia Subscriber

Stinkpot Bay, Howden, Tasmania, Australia
  21. Handi-man Australia

A thread file is a handy tool for reforming damaged threads . The delicate brass threads can be deformed if they are handled roughly.

Dean has sorted out the Tilley vapouriser thread with his die . Good Job.

22. ateallthepies

C9261870-A2A6-4A74-B737-A8892E3F8D55.jpeg ECB1F3F3-4805-4492-A0A7-FCF61BC0785A.jpeg 3103D7FA-15D8-4150-BEA7-9AA239FCD5EC.jpeg Well another brass M8 x 1 connector turned up today. Another step in the evolution of a DIY Bialaddin Vap tube! This one is better with the twin screw threads. This one screws perfectly into both of my spare control cocks!

23. MYN

From the 1st drawing posted by @primaxel, I could recognize that its one of those usually done by a German or an Austrian.
    I'm an engineer by profession and I've seen plenty of those similar 'maschine' drawings here that came together with the machines in the Plant I'm working in.
    So, if its German, they don't fancy "inches". Metric fine thread would be more likely for fluid-handling mechanical constructions.

24. Handi-man Australia

A very good book for the screwcutting beginner is:

'SCREWCUTTING' Author Dr Marcus Bowman. The Crowood Press 2015 160 pages with colour pics

I found a copy on Ebay I think it was . It is a recent publication .