Bialaddin vs Vapalux 320

Discussion in 'Pressure Lamp Discussion Forum' started by ColinG, May 15, 2018.

1. ColinG

ColinG United Kingdom Subscriber

What if any are the differences between the Bialaddin and Vapalux versions of the 320 (and M320). Specifically, is the thread on the securing ring that holds the frame onto the fount the same?

I'm still trying to resolve my Tilley/Vapalux Frankenstein monster and have bought a very sorry looking Bialaddin 320 in the hope that the tank is interchangeable.

2. Mackburner

Mackburner United Kingdom Founder Member Subscriber

A 320 is a 320. They were all made in Halifax just different brands, from before 1968 Bialaddin and after Vapalux. There is a subtle variation in the later hoods but all the parts are compatible. ::Neil::

3. ColinG

Thanks Neil.

4. Ian Bingham

Ian Bingham Subscriber

OK - I'll ask. What is the difference between a Vapalux 230 and a Vapalux M320?

I had imagined the former were silver painted and the lattter drab green and, sometimes, with the cylindrical (well, tubular) glass sitting on the aluminium plate. But the LRG suggests otherwise.

5. Muzzleflash United Kingdom

I've got two M320's I bought last week. One has the ally plate you mention, the other doesn't. One also has an aluminium band around the cage, the other doesn't. One has an ID plate, t'other doesn't. One has cut glass, the other 'formed'... :?:-:-k

6. ColinG

Apparently nothing! Someone else asked that and they are identical. The naming convention of pressure lanterns was arbitrary and never made much sense to my eyes.

7. Ian Bingham

Ian Bingham Subscriber

Well I don't think there is any material difference between a Bialaddin 320 and a Vapalux 320.

But I thought that the Vapalux (or Bialaddin) 320 was painted silver and a Vapalux M320 was drab green. And that there is a couple of minor variations within the Vapalux M320 with the glass and cage. The LRG includes silver painted Vapalux M320s - so it is this I am questioning.

In terms of confusing naming/numbering Tilley were culprits. Sometimes the same model designation was applied to quite significant variations (e.g. X246 or AL21) whereas sometimes small changes seem to herald a new reference

8. Wim

Wim Subscriber

If it is only a difference in color I'd say the "M" stands for Military, which makes perfect sense to me. Whatever happened later on with the lanterns (like being painted a "civvy" color) is not always controllable.

Best regards,

Wim