1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

BR49 Control knob stuck

Discussion in 'Fettling Forum' started by MG, Aug 6, 2017.

1. MG

MG United Kingdom Subscriber

Hi all,

Slowly getting round to fettling my BR49 and i thought i would replace the gland nut washer but the control knob is stuck solid and i don't want to force it in case i do any damage so what's the best fix for a stuck solid control knob please ( jokes welcome :) )
    I tried running it under the scalding hot water tap for ages but no joy,

Thanks.

2. MG

I think cutting it off will be my best bet.

3. Matthew92

Matthew92 United Kingdom Subscriber

Cutting your cock off? Nah sounds a bit drastic to me. Is it the type with a push on button, or is it the screw on type? Both of mine are push on.

4. MG

Oooh sounds nasty! yes its the later push on type and it is stuck solid, won't move at all.

5. KAB United Kingdom

:-k If heating it doesn't work, how about putting it in the freezer...... it could be the brass shaft is expanding a very tiny amount with the heat and tightening the fit ??

6. David Shouksmith

David Shouksmith United Kingdom Founder Member

Great Lumley - cultural capital of N.E. England
    Unsurprisingly, these just pull off - use yer strength, man! :roll:

Nah, they do get stuck from time to time so here's what I do. Get a pair of taper nose pliers and place the jaws between the gland nut and the back of the knob making sure there's no gap. Then simply use the pliers as a lever to push off the knob. Simple and works every time. There's a metal spring type thing which holds the knob onto the shaft so don't forget to replace that on re-assembly. I don't think there's any correct way - just put it into the hole at the end of your knob and push it onto the cock shaft...

7. MG

Thanks for the info David but sadly that didn't work this time plus it slightly bent the shaft so i had to cut me knob off!

8. Matthew92

:shock::shock:Ouch, that's enough to make a man squirm.

9. KAB United Kingdom

Cutting your knob off to spite your lamp :lol:

10. David Shouksmith

:shock: A bit cavalier if you ask me! Now you're going to need a complete new cock which defeats the point of trying to change the seals in the old one... :doh: :)

11. longilily

longilily United Kingdom Subscriber

Hope you find yourself another cock soon

Uh hum :whistle:

I remember a similar thread of Matts sometime back @Matthew92 that one made me laugh too

Last edited: Aug 8, 2017
  12. MG

The trouble is i didn't want an uncontrollable leak from my gland nuts so the knob just had to go, it wasn't that painful really and now as an added bonus i have a nice shiny new one :D/

13. David Shouksmith

:-k MG, have you ever blown a seal...

14. MG

@David Shouksmith no its just a habit i've gotten into, i change all the washers (if that's what you meant) on any new lamp as a matter of course plus i quite enjoy doing so and the gland nut seems to be a common place to leak from.

I straightened the shaft ok as it was only slightly bent and the lamp passed the dunk test :thumbup: or am i missing something due to my lack of experience?

Its well used but its my first BR49 :)

021.JPG

15. David Shouksmith

Perhaps I should have written ':-k MG, have you ever blown a seal... ;) :lol: '

Ah, sorry, BR49 - I was getting confused with another thread, thinking it was an X246B. The barrel-type knob just screws off... :oops:

But I'm confused - I thought you said you'd cut the shaft to get the gland nut off. And how can a slight sideways wiggle of the pliers bend the shaft? Anyway, I'm now giving up trying to be helpful... :doh::whistle:](*,):D

Edit: Now I see why I advised what I did - you said it was the "later push on type":-
    I thought I was losing me marbles for a minute there. I might just go back to trying to be helpful...O:)

Edit II - I've just looked at the photograph of your lantern and it IS the later push on type. You just pull those off, mate. Or if they're a bit stuck, you can remove them with a slight sideways wiggle of a pair of taper nose pliers between the gland nut and the back of the knob. Mind you don't bend the shaft, though... ;) :lol:

Last edited: Aug 8, 2017
  16. Matthew92

Well I'm just glad you got there in the end, that is a lovely looking lamp you've got. Wish I had one that nice.

@longilily I can't think of the thread you mean. Don't think I've ever talked about my cock problems to you have I?:-k
    :)

17. MG

@David Shouksmith haha yes David i'm blowing a seal over these damned old Coleman's and their leaks :lol:

Maybe i'm losing my marbles then as i don't remember saying anything about slicing my shaft, only my knob :lol:

I tried lots of wiggling with the pliers and it would not budge whatsoever so i tried a little harder and the shaft bent so in the end i had to cut me knob off!

Anyway crisis averted and no bubbles in me dunk test :D/

Thanks @Matthew92 me too, i'm slowly working my way through my lamps and heaters,

Yes i was very lucky to get it, it looks much better now its cleaned and fettled, ( i never took any before pictures [-X ) it came in a job lot that was a five hundred mile round trip to collect but was well worth it, there is also a Tilley R46 heater included which i thought was scrap at the time haha that's waiting in the wings to be sorted, not sure if i should just get it working or get it renovated?
    014.JPG

18. David Shouksmith

Oh, I think a fettle followed by a nice respray in the correct colour would be great. Let's see it when you're done... :thumbup:

19. MG

It might be a little while yet and i will have to get a quote from my local spray shop as i haven't learnt to spray yet, any idea what the original colours are called or are there paint codes?
    No problem, I will take some before and after pictures when anything half decent is done from now on.

20. David Shouksmith

Basically, take the top off the aerosol can, shake it vigorously for a couple of minutes, point it at the object being painted and move it from side to side, then press the little button on top. That's it, sorted, bosh... :thumbup: :D/

21. longilily

longilily United Kingdom Subscriber

That will come up nice MG :thumbup:

You told us all mate, I'll have to go searching now won't I ](*,)

I'll find it, Mais oui roderney, Mais oui ;)

22. MG

It might do if i don't spray it :lol:

23. Mackburner

Mackburner United Kingdom Founder Member Subscriber

Colour for that R46 is Arran Beige. An old Rover colour I think and should be available in Halfords.

Neil

24. MG

Excellent, thanks Neil :thumbup:

25. MG

Had a couple more knobs stuck on and i've run out of new ones so now its dunk test and if they fail, tighten the gland nut and if that doesn't work then out with the hacksaw :)