1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Butterfly

Discussion in 'Lamp Action Gallery' started by MYN, Apr 6, 2018.

1. MYN Malaysia

My Butterfly pressure lamp running on Diesel instead of Kerosene.

20170626_204632.jpg

2. phaedrus42

phaedrus42 South Africa Subscriber

Somerset West, near Cape Town, South Africa
    A lot of the Butterfly 350cp lanterns were sold in South Africa. I have heard that they were perhaps manufactured in Indonesia and not in China.
    Do you perhaps have any information about that?

3. MYN Malaysia

Yes, some. Mine's made in Indonesia. I think Lea Hin of Singapore was the main dealer of the Butterfly brand in Southeast Asia. They might have shifted their manufacturing operations to Indonesia due to the obsolescence of kerosene-fueled apparatus in Singapore-Malaysia, shrinking markets and of course, due to costs. About the Butterfly from China, it can be of a different variant, which i couldn't find any links to Lea Hin. Butterfly is definitely not originally from China but most things are manufactured there now anyway... Butterfly is a clone of the German Petromax, which could be too expensive for most here in Asia decades ago. Therefore, Butterfly was the main brand in Southeast Asia. China has the Anchor, Sea Anchor and many other Petromax-like lanterns mainly for their own market.

4. bp4willi Germany

Hi Myn ,
    I also own a butterfly lantern.
    Mine has a steel tank.
    But I know other butterfly lanterns have brass tanks.
    Is this a sign for make in Indonesia (brass) or china (steel) ?

Regards willi

5. MYN Malaysia

Hi bp4willi,
    I don't have any knowledge that Indonesia makes any brass-bodied Butterfles.
    But i have came across old Butterflies that are brass in a flea market.
    The lanterns Made in Indonesia are rather of newer manufacture and all of them i know are made of steel. China's Butterfly is a little different, but also steel.
    I have also came across somewhere on the web, maybe Stuga-Cabana??..www.hytta.de that features the Butterfly lantern that's made of brass.

6. MYN Malaysia

Hi all, if i've not mistaken, China has more than one company that makes Butterfly lanterns. One of them is Cixi Sea Anchor. In China, they could make whatever you ask for. Be it steel or brass. Quality-wise, the higher the price, the better they are. Depending on their targeted market, the same brand can have a wide quality range...from shoddy, poorly assembled units to the highest, possibly comparable or even better than the originals.

7. MYN Malaysia

Phaedrus42, you mentioned that a lot Butterfly 350cp are being sold in South Africa.
    Butterfly is from East/Southeast Asia, but i could hardly find them on sale here anymore...at least in Malaysia.

8. Matty Australia

On the 27th of February, 1939, Mr Woo Kai Lea of Singapore trade marked the brand Butterfly & TingKwon, as his exclusive property in regards to gasoline lamps, acetylene lamps, hurricane lamps, table lamps, lanterns, spare parts and mantles. Either manufactured in or exported out of or sold by him, or his agent, Mr Lea Hin & Co, in the Straits Settlements, Federated or Un-Federated Malay States & elsewhere.

The above information does not include some later brands such as Star.

The above information shows that it appears that Mr Woo Kai Lin was the original manufacturer of the Petromax clones and not Lea Hin as it is often stated. That doesn't mean the Lea Hin didn't buy out the business and later become the manufacturer.

9. MYN Malaysia

Ah...some info on the origins of the Butterfly. They seemed rather illusive. Lea Hin started out in 1935, possibly without the Butterfly trade mark yet.

10. Matty Australia

Perhaps they did start in 1935, I personally can't find evidence of that but that doesn't mean it's not correct. I can only find Lea Hin Co from 1939 - when the Butterfly TM was taken out.

In 1941 Woo Kai Lea, of the Lea Hin Company (China Products), trade marked TingKwon as per the Butterfly trademark I previously posted. Except, it was far more reaching as Burma, Netherlands Indies, Bangkok and Hong Kong were also mentioned.

In 1953 Woo Kai Lea was fined $200 in the Singapore Criminal Court for False Trade Description. Woo Kai Lea was selling 300 stoves labelled as imported from Hong Kong when in fact they had been imported from America.

In 1954, Woo Kai Lea, Trading as Lea Hin Company, once again Trade Marked 'Butterfly' and extended its reach to include:

The Colony of Singapore
    The Federation of Malaya
    Sarawak
    British North Borneo
    Siam
    Hong Kong
    Republic of Indonesia
    Burma

In 1958, Woo Kai Lea, Trading as Lea Hin Co was involved in a court case.

The point of pointing out the court case is to show that Woo Kai Lea still owned the Lea Hin Company as late as 1958.

From the information above, it would seem that Woo Kai Lea is the person whom owned and manufactured Butterfly & TingKwon etc, and Lea Hin (Co) was simply a trading company and not a person persay.

11. MYN Malaysia

You've certainly posted some piece of information that I've never knew about despite living nearer to ground-zero region. Where did you find all that?

12. MYN Malaysia

Certainly sounds more like part of the true story behind all that Butterfly, Tingkwon stuff.

13. MYN Malaysia

As far i know, Lea Hin has always been a trading company. I've never heard of any Lea Hin manufacturing factory being mentioned anywhere.

14. Matty Australia

Mate, I'm a pretty disinterested person when it comes to Petromax or Petromax clones. I haven't ever had the desire to find out about Lea Hin Co etc. I just read what others say from time to time, that the Lea Hin products started in the 50's, were manufactured in China etc, is some of what I have read.

I saw your topic and because of your enthusiasm, I decided to look up any information I had acquired whilst doing other research and decided to share it with you.

I can tell you that in 1956, Lea Hin Co , had what was described as an assembly plant in Alexander Road, Singapore. Come 1965 and Lea Hin Co Ltd, described themselves as manufacturers with a Metal Factory in Alexander Road, Singapore. You will note by 1965 they had seemingly incorporated as they now had 'Ltd' in their business name.

In 1969, the company was now known as the Lea Hin Lamp & Stove Company, Ltd.

In 1978, the company seemed to be the Lea Hin Company, (Metal Factory) Pte, Ltd,

In 1985, the name changed again to the Lea Hin Company (Powder Factory) Pte, Ltd.

Whether or not the Powder Factory was in conjunction with the Metal Factory, I don't know. Both names used the same address of Alexander Road, Singapore, in the respective years I listed. There may have been more than one factory at the same address or they simply changed company names and products manufactured.

One thing is clear, Lea Hin did manufacture. I believe they started to manufacture later than collectors interested in this subject thought and formed as a company a lot earlier than interested collectors in this subject thought.

I hope I have been of some help to you.

I'll leave you with it to enjoy your further research on the subject.

15. MYN Malaysia

Thanks so much Matty.
    You would have known a lot more on these details than me. Grateful that you have shared some of these here.
    For me, i'm always a little interested in the origins of whichever lantern that i happen to come across with.
    I'll have to continue to watch out for them...

16. MYN Malaysia

By the Matty, what is your favourite lantern?