Ca. 1905 Pitner Light hollow wire lamp

Discussion in 'Other Brands' started by Conny C, Jan 12, 2019.

1. Conny C

Conny C Sweden Subscriber

Hi all,

This is a ca 1905 hollow wire lamp "The Pitner Light" from the Pitner Lighting System, made by the Pitner Gasoline Lighting Co.
    Marion Pitner has a couple patents associated to this lamp; the first overall patent applied for in 1904 and granted in 1905.
    Later in 1907 and 1909 patents additional patents were granted for parts already installed in this lamp.

The lamp is said to produce 600 CP and is gasoline fed. The quality of this Pitner hollow wire lamp is very high, as were also the later table lamps;
    the Pitner Parlour lamp and also the Pitner (B) lamp. The quality you can see in many Pitner lamp details.
    Maybe that was a problem competing with several other lighting companies in the 1900,s and 10,s with that high standard of high quality.
    Around 1915/16 the Pitner company no longer produced lamps and after a factory fire the company ceased in 1916.

A thorough clean up was needed and it was also kind of complicated to get a hw functional connector nut.
    A bit scary having the entire weight of the lamp on the hollow wire connection. I would have preferred a wire hanger for security.
    The lamp fired up on the first try, and this is a lovely addition to my collection of early American lamps.

/Conny

1906 The Pitner Light hw lamp.jpg 1906 The Pitner Light hw lamp lit mantle with chimney.jpg 1906 The Pitner Light hw lamp lit 1.jpg 1906 The Pitner Light hw lamp lit 2.jpg 1906 The Pitner Light hw lamp parts.jpg 1906 The Pitner Light hw lamp logo.jpg 1906 The Pitner Light hw lamp smoke bell.jpg 1906 The Pitner Light hw lamp fuel control valve knob and pitner logo.jpg 1906 The Pitner Light hw lamp generator jet and air inlet tube.jpg 1906 The Pitner Light hw lamp jet and air inlet tube.jpg 1906 The Pitner Light hw lamp pat appl for burner tube and generator.jpg 1906 The Pitner Light hw lamp coiled hw connection tube.jpg 1906 The Pitner Light hw lamp mantle hanger rod.jpg 1906 The Pitner Light hw lamp burner and mantle.jpg 1906 The Pitner Light hw lamp burner chimney and mantle.jpg 1906 The Pitner Light hw lamp burner mantle chimney and shade 1.jpg 1906 The Pitner Light hw lamp burner mantle chimney and shade.jpg 1906 The Pitner Light hw lamp pre heating.jpg 1906 The Pitner Light hw lamp blue Bunsen flame.jpg

1906/1912 catalogue images (courtesy of Neil McRae)……….

Pitner Lighting System lamp.jpg Pitner 1906 catalogue Pitner Light drawing.jpg Pitner hollow wire tanks.jpg Pitner hollow wire pump.jpg

1904 to 1909 Pitner patents.....

Pitner HW patent 1905.jpg Pitner HW patent 1907.jpg Pitner HW patent 1909.jpg

and the "before"...……..

Pitner hw lamp before.jpg

Last edited: Jan 12, 2019
  2. JEFF JOHNSON

JEFF JOHNSON United Kingdom Subscriber

A grand old lamp!:thumbup::thumbup:
    What type of fuel tank did you use?

3. Conny C

Thanks Jeff! I used my small Succés hollow wire tank. Perfect for lighting tries of hollow wire lamps!

/Conny

Succes HW tank 1.jpg

4. Tony Press

Tony Press Australia Subscriber

Stinkpot Bay, Howden, Tasmania, Australia
    That’s beautiful, Conny.

Cheers

Tony

5. A Hendrikx Netherlands

nice lamp:content:

6. Michel

Michel Subscriber

I love this lampe :-({|=

7. Conny C

Thanks Michel,

That American old timer lamp powered by a French Succés tank. For me the combo old American lamp/old French hollow wire tank couldn´t been better.

/Conny

8. JEFF JOHNSON

JEFF JOHNSON United Kingdom Subscriber

Hello Conny, that's a well built tank.:thumbup:

9. ROBBO55

ROBBO55 Subscriber

Nice work Conny getting this beautiful lamp going. Congratulations :thumbup:

10. Titoo

Titoo France Subscriber

A superb lamp :clap:
    Restoration of master :-({|=
    Congratulation

Regards,
    Titoo

11. Dean D

Dean D Subscriber

Conny, that is wonderful. I just acquired a couple of these fixtures. I may be asking you for some details. I'm missing a few things. 20210326_170534.jpg

12. Matty

Whilst I'm not Conny, Conny and I acquired one each of these lamps together. The following quote by Conny is something you will need to work on. These Pitner's don't have the standard hollow wire connection. You will need to find a connection nut that fits the Pitner male connector.

PitnerHWconnection.jpg

You have a bit of work to do because it looks like you are missing the jet (tip) and the air restrictor that screws onto the jet from the opposite side of the generator. If you have trouble sourcing these, let me know and I'll send you my jet and restrictor and you can copy and have them fabricated.

I can't tell if you have the burner cap though I can tell you are missing the mantle holder. If you are missing the burner cap, I could send mine plus the shade holder along with the jet and air restrictor for you to copy and fabricate.

Similar smoke bells come up on ebay from time to time.

I was going to suggest you try a jet from a scrap hollow wire but the threads may be different.