ca. 1930 Lilor "Transformable" model nr. 1935 lamp

Discussion in 'Lilor - Liotard Frères' started by Conny C, Jul 27, 2017.

1. Conny C

Conny C Sweden Subscriber

Hi all,

Here is the French Liotard Freres/Paris Lilor model nr. 1935 "Transformable" lamp from around 1930; first seen in my Lilor papers in the 1928 catalogue. This lamp was the successor lamp of the Lilor transformable model nr. 1931 that was produced from the early 20,s. This lamp was supposed to be used in three different modes; as a table, wall or suspension lamp (see attached catalogue info).

This lamp is equipped with the "Sta" burner, opposed to the predecessor that used the "Lor" burner. Both burners are gasoline fed with a light out of 150 CP. Originally the lamp were equipped with a huge fabric shade that I personally don't like and I haven't been able to find one. Looks much better with just the tulip shade on, I think.

I have had this lamp a couple of years, and it was a mess already from the start. Some previous owner had tried to exchange the bottom plate and had give it up soldering it back halfway and lumps of solder were rattling around in the font. The burner was incomplete missing cleaning needle with eccentric part and also air tube and no fibre wheel on the cleaning needle control. The manometer was also missing.

I had to re-solder the bottom plate and also had to first de-solder the fuel filler part to get the solder lumps out and then re-solder it back on the font. I found a brass tube I could use and managed to adjust a cleaning needle from a spare Washington burner and finally I got measurements from a French collector (thanks Michel )for the eccentric part needed for the cleaning needle device. In the restoration process the fine brass patina the lamp had was ruined and I had to clean it up. Will be a nice patina back in a couple of years for sure, just see the difference between the lamps in the head to head shot. My latest restoration lamp 1935 together with my first ever pressure lamp restoration in 2008; the Lilor model 1931.

After putting this lamp together and after some pressure test, it run well in the first try.

/Conny

Lilor model 1935 with pump xx.jpg Lilor model 1935 blue Bunsen flame.jpg Lilor model 1935 lit mantle.jpg Lilor model 1935 lit lamp.jpg Lilor model 1935 parts.jpg Lilor model 1935 burner  parts 1.jpg Lilor model 1935 burner  parts 2.jpg Lilor model 1935 jet and cleaning needle.jpg Lilor model 1935 fuel filler and pump valve.jpg Lilor model 1935 manometer.jpg Lilor model 1935 coiled fuel feed tube.jpg Lilor model 1935 vent and cleaning needle control wheel front.jpg Lilor model 1935 vent and cleaning needle control wheel side wiev.jpg Lilor model 1935 mantle holder and mantles.jpg Lilor model 1935 front wiev.jpg Lilor model 1935 wall lamp wiev.jpg Lilor_ model 1935 catalogue 1937.jpg

Head to head Lilor transformable lamps model nr. 1931 and model nr. 1935

Lilor model 1935 and Lilor model 1931.jpg ......and with catalogue images Lilor 1931 and 1935 lamps in catalogues 1925 and 1929.jpg Lilor_Bec Sta and Bec Lor catalogue 1937.jpg

before..........
    Lilor model 1935 before.jpg

Last edited: Jul 27, 2017
  2. jacov

Hi Conny,

Very nice lamp, excellent restore!

Jaco

3. David Shouksmith

David Shouksmith United Kingdom Founder Member

Oh, Maaaaaannnnn - will nothing cure me of the desire for one of those beautiful, ornate French creations... =P~ ](*,)

4. Conny C

Conny C Sweden Subscriber

Thanks guys! David - desires can be met with either go for them or keep on dreaming ;) :whistle:

5. phaedrus42

phaedrus42 Subscriber

Outstanding work, Conny!

6. JEFF JOHNSON

JEFF JOHNSON United Kingdom Subscriber

It's a splendid old lamp once again!:thumbup::D/:clap::D/:clap::thumbup:

7. Tony Press

Tony Press Australia Subscriber

Stinkpot Bay, Howden, Tasmania, Australia
    @Conny C

Excellent work; beautiful lamp.

Tony