1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cageless PL53

Discussion in 'PL52-PL53-PL54' started by James K, Nov 11, 2017 at 1:11 PM.

1. James K United Kingdom

This lamp was an exercise in perseverance, which is why i am pleased with it.
    The screws holding the glass in were rusted in pretty solid, the vapouriser was so rusty it fell into two halfs so the poor thing had been left somewhere damp.
    It took seven weeks of careful heating soaking and picking out bits of rust to get the glass out without breaking it.
    Amazingly there was just enough of the original screws left to carry on in service, although i do remove them and apply copper grease after running the lamp.
    Hope you enjoy the pics. pl1.JPG pl2.JPG pl3.JPG pl4.JPG pl6.JPG pl7.JPG pl8.JPG pl5.JPG pl9.JPG

2. Mackburner

Mackburner United Kingdom Founder Member Subscriber

Now that is interesting. I suspect the hood is much older than the lamp but more importantly is the XN cock. In that lamp I would expect to see a GF cock. Is the socket deep enough to accomodate the long cloth filter and therefore the lantern made to use the pre 1940 type. If it is then that is the first time I have seen a 1940 pattern PL53 made for an XN cock. ::Neil::

3. JEFF JOHNSON

JEFF JOHNSON United Kingdom Subscriber

That is an interesting lamp, but I reckon that the screws are a modification by a previous owner and I will not be surprised if the bottom half of the XN., control cock is missing, as I have had a few WW2., lamps turn up with only the top half of the XN., control cock.

4. Jean J

Jean J United Kingdom Subscriber

Me too Jeff.

5. ROBBO55

ROBBO55 Australia Subscriber

Nice work James getting the lantern back into service. :clap::clap: .
    Was the hood originally enamelled?

6. James K United Kingdom

Hello, and thank you all for your comments.

The hood was not enamelled, it is brass with some sort of plating on it, probably nickel.

If it was a home made conversion to cageless it was done very well, apart from material choice.

The socket is deep and the NX cock is complete, i will take some pics when i get a chance.

7. David Shouksmith

David Shouksmith United Kingdom Founder Member

Great Lumley - cultural capital of N.E. England
    That sounds like one of the hoods that were finished in matt chrome (i.e. chrome plated but not polished afterwards - or perhaps it was Tilley's own speculum metal plating that wasn't polished). Anyway, whatever the metal used, I've seen it subsequently polished up (usually for an eBay sale) and it looks OK - except it's not original and who knows what happens to it if the lantern is subsequently lit. I imagine it reverts to matt chrome. I've also seen them where the plating is completely removed to expose the brass which is then polished. No doubt that just goes black when the lantern is used...

8. ROBBO55

ROBBO55 Australia Subscriber

Thanks @James K I should have realised that, now the patina and condition (no rust holes) make sense to me.

Nice work