Canadian 200 4-52

Discussion in '200' started by ThosKiwi, Nov 7, 2011.

1. ThosKiwi

I saw this non-functioning lantern in a junk store , it pumped, the tarnished fount held pressure, and I was smitten!

1320640563-Coleman200NickelApril52_a.jpg

The regulator was jammed solid.
    Using the guides in the Fettling Forum, I started with the regulator.
    After saturating it with penetrating oil (diesel + WD40 50/50) I was able to slacken the jam nut. The packing wasn't even damaged.
    I used Autosol and a soft cotton towel to hand polish it.
    There were still the washers under the frame assembly.
    1320640584-Coleman200NickelFont4_52_b.jpg

I gave the frame assembly a good scrub, blew out the spiders and cobwebs in the airtubes decided that using the posted instructions, that I could assemble and test it!
    I still lack the period globe, "Coleman China" will have to do.
    It works well, I used it on Halloween, turning the tip cleaner to reduce the light output to a dim glow when at front doors, then turning it up while accompanying the children along the road to the neighbours.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 1, 2017
  2. JEFF JOHNSON

JEFF JOHNSON United Kingdom Subscriber

Hello and welcome aboard, good lantern!

3. Chris W

Greetings!

Ah, that's a fine 1950's Coleman model 200A - with proper maintenance, it will operate for a very long time. A very nice find.

Welcome to the forum - many wonderful people here to answer any questions you may have - enjoy!

On the side of the fount, below the Coleman logo, you will find numbers on either side. For example "5" on the left side and "51" on the right, will give you a date for your lantern as being May of 1951. Have a look and tell us what year your lantern is.

Chris W - Winnipeg, Canada

4. ThosKiwi

Hello Jeff & Chris,
    Thank you for the warm welcome.
    I really enjoyed fettling the 200 and reading all the great articles posted on these webpages!
    I've seen brass founts on Canadian 200s manufactured up to the early 1960s (painted red of course) and steer clear of the suspect US 200As.
    I grew up in Auckland N.Z. and never experienced white gasolene lanterns or stoves.
    Colemans were an expensive premium product especially so, as everything had to be imported and shipped in, and the NZ$ wasn't anywhere near parity with the U.S.$ or Can.$.

My introduction to Coleman lanterns, was as a Scout leader, having to instruct Cubs and Scouts in safety of handling and lighting of lanterns and stoves.

I like the brass founts, as they're more resistant to moisture corrosion than early steel tanks. (I'm aware that some steel tanks have an internal coating to reduce corrosion. I seen Coleman MILspec lanterns (252) which, when shaken, sound like the tank/fount has sand/pebbles in it)

I really attracted to the nickel founts.

I started by acquiring a 1950 nickel 500 stove, followed by a nice red 200 (for $5) then a 1969 nickel 236 (probably steel fount, but too good to pass up on.) The 236 really lives up to the Coleman name at night, it's beautiful and functional at the same time. I acquired a worn metal Coleman case which holds the 236 snugly, and am now on the hunt for an appropiate period case for the 200.
    (Perhaps the Coleman lantern cases should/could be documented)
    Now I on the hunt for a nickel fount dual mantle!

By the way Chris, I tried to post the photo showing the manufacturing date stamps "4 & 52", but during the "image optimiser" process, it lost the defintion making it legible. But if one places the mouse pointer over the photo, then the photo name is shown at the bottom of the VISTA window,
    in my case:Coleman200NickelFont4_52_b.jpg.
    The "_b" was preferable to "_opt" extension added by the optimiser!

Thanks again
    Cheers
    Thomas.
    p.s. I went with Coleman because of parts availability and interchangeability. Also because Canadian Colemans are a quality piece of history.
    I've seen Tilleys locally, but have shied away from them here in Vancouver, as I think; "Where would I get the parts or spares?" T.L.
    p.p.s. One more feather in the 200s cap, is that it can be fitted (legitimately) with the #99 mantle, for 300-350CP output, or so I believe. T.L.

5. dmacp

Thomas-
    Really like your lantern, I have two with the same date stamp. What I would like to know is does the direction disc wording say "mantle" (singular) or "Mantles" (plural). The old USA single mantle lanterns used the plural "mantles" up until the 1960's and I am wondering if the Canadian lanterns did this also.
    VBW
    Dan MacPherson

6. ThosKiwi

Hello Dan,
    Here's a better picture of the regulator's direction disc (Coleman part name)
    (I had to look it up... I'm new to this.... ;-)

1320795993-Canadian200Nickel4_52_Regulator.JPG !

It quite clearly says "Mantle" singular.
    Hope this is helpful.
    Cheers,
    Thomas
    p.s. The $5 red 200 lantern I described in post #11319, is a U.S. 200A stamped "11_71", with no rust flakes rattling in the steel fount! T.L.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 1, 2017
  7. JEFF JOHNSON

JEFF JOHNSON United Kingdom Subscriber

Hello Thomas, you mentioned that you see Tilleys in your area, so why not give them a try.

Spares for most Tilley models are available and you can get advice on this website, Jeff.

8. dmacp

Thanks! Sorry for the "curve ball". In the earlier days Coleman made only one disc for both single and double mantle lanterns, and the disc said "mantles" in the plural. American lanterns changed to the singular at some point in the late 1950's. Canada changed as well, but I am not sure when.
    At least I know both of my 4-52's are correct.
    Dan