Check Valve Tool

Discussion in 'Fettling Forum' started by Mantis, Nov 25, 2012.

1. Mantis

Has anyone bought and used the check valve tool from Old Coleman Parts as shown on http://www.oldcolemanparts.com/product.php?productid=2179&cat=26&page=1

I'm interested to know if it is useful as I am often foiled by stubborn check valves in Colemans that will just not budge with a large screwdriver so get left alone as they are still working fine. However, I would like to service the check valve at some point. Any feedback will be much appreciated.

2. dspearsy2k United States

There is nothing to replace in a coleman checkvalve. No bung. It's a stsinless steel ball on a metal seat. If it's gummed up, use carb-cleaner.

3. ThosKiwi

Hello
    I was at Scouter Jan's a fortnight ago and Shawn (Shortwave) brought his "NRV tool" along.
    It worked flawlessly!
    Thank you Shawn and Scouter Jan (re;- CCF)!

I watched Shawn & Jeremy pull a (very)stubborn NRV out of 252, then my son's 247 Scout, my 236, 200(4-52) and my Solus to name a few. There were many NRVs pulled for cleaning that afternoon.
    That tool is now on my shopping list.
    Cheers
    ThomasL
    p.s. You've posted some great work on this forum NZLantern - keep it up!T.L.
    p.p.s. Now I've got to follow Mackburners advice/posts and make a NRV tool for my Optimus. T.L.

4. Dan D

Dan D Subscriber

Hi NZ,

I too own this tool and it works extremely well. Only needed it once, but it was worth it.

I bought mine directly from the person that makes them (Ebay Link ). Looks like Mike at OCP gets them from the same guy. If you have any intl. shipping issues with Mike, the Ebay guy ships world wide. I also got some other NRV tools from this fellow as well as that nice offset wrench for the Coleman globe frame jamb nut.

T.L. if you don't feel like making your own, Stu (loco7lamp) makes some serioulsy nice NRV tools for the Optimus (and others). If you are a member of CCS, see this link or PM Stu directly. You won't be disappointed.

I agree with you. 99% of the time you can clean the valve with carb cleaner or some other solvent. Sometimes though, due to some serious gumming, brass corrosion or previous owner bunging, the valve needs to come out, and this tool makes it simple.

Dan

5. ThosKiwi

Hello DanD
    Re:-"T.L. if you don't feel like making your own, Stu (loco7lamp) makes some serioulsy nice NRV tools for the Optimus (and others). If you are a member of CCS, see this link or PM Stu directly. You won't be disappointed."

Yes Stu(locolamp)'s workmanship and products are exemplary and exceptional!
    However they are beyond my current budget and needs - I only have one Optimus lamp and many Colemans lanterns and stoves!

When we were cleaning the NRVs, Scouter Jan had provided a tin of white vinegar to soak the valves in. It did an excellent job of cleaning those valves (Also a lot cheaper than carb-cleaner and not so much of a bio-hazard!).

Hey NZLantern - do you have a photo of your 238B's preheat flamethrower in action?

I grew up in Auckland and don't remember seeing very many Colemans around - however I wasn't a Scout and my family didn't do any camping - we used to stay with relatives alot, and vice-versa.

Cheers
    ThomasL

6. Mantis

Hi Thomas,
    The second photo on the Coleman 238b page shows the pre-heater in action. Unfortunately photos of this during the day do not show the full effect.
    There are a lot of Coleman, Tilley, Optimus and Hipolito lanterns while other European makes are very uncommon. Of course the vintage Coleman lanterns are either made in Canada or England, ho hum to us in NZ but of course of interest to USA collectors.

Thanks to all of you on the advice of the check valve tool.
    Cheers
    Clive

7. annfield

annfield Sweden Subscriber

Hi there bumping this thread since the links no longer work.
    I am looking for a NRV removal tool for old swedish Optimus/Radius lamps.
    Does anyone have any suggested seller/links?

Or even better does anyone of you guys have a good working, tight tool to sell and ship to sweden?

Regards
    Daniel

8. Henry Plews

Henry Plews Subscriber

Hi Daniel,
    A few of us, including some your fellow countrymen, have made our own NRV removal tool.
    If you want to have a go at making one, a simple way is to start with a bolt that is 1 or 2 mm smaller in diameter than the pump barrel (and long enough to reach the valve) and then with a fine hacksaw and small file, cut a 5 mm slot in the bottom end. It's better if you have an undamaged valve so you can see when you've got the slot exactly the right size.

If you type "NRV tool" in the Search box at top right of this page, you will see a page with some useful links which I'm sure will be of help.

Henry.

9. kero-scene Australia

I've also had good experiences with the tool from old Coleman.

definitely worth avoiding the hassle of stripping a checkvalve!

10. WimVe

WimVe Subscriber

Unavailable product
    This product is unavailable or temporary disabled.