Chinese Glory lantern

Discussion in 'Pressure Lamp Discussion Forum' started by Bo Ryman, Mar 24, 2013.

1. Bo Ryman

Bo Ryman Founder Member Subscriber

Anyone that have heard of this brand? It is a 250cp lantern and very similar to it's many cousins.
    Sorry for the dizzy photos, they are in second hand.
    Bo
    1364139176-Glory_001.jpg 1364139186-Glory_004.jpg

Attached Files:

2. Mark_2

I may guess that it's from the '70s -- the graphics looks '70-ish.

BTW - what do you use as a mantle? It's size of... hem... No, wrong, those are made of rubber... ;)

Maybe it will shrink during the first pre-heating,but I would be afraid of burning a hole in the font.

3. Kristian123

I was also wondering about the oversized mantle, it looks a bit dangerously close to the glass as well as it is also reaching to the tank. Can you take some photos of the lamp lit?

Perhaps I am seeing wrong, is the mantle burned ready for lighting or is it unburned?

4. David Shouksmith

David Shouksmith United Kingdom Founder Member

It's an unburned mantle - apart from the fact you can see the pink colouring at the top, they go like that if you leave them long enough dangling from the burner.

5. JEFF JOHNSON

JEFF JOHNSON United Kingdom Subscriber

Hello Bo, Glory lanterns were not made in China, they were made in Bombay India.

The made 3 sizes of lanterns, 250cp., 350cp., 500cp., they also made a 350cp., table lamp and a 500cp., donut lamp, all ran on paraffin/kerosene.

Some of the lanterns had rapid pre heating torches and others did not, Jeff.

6. Mackburner

Mackburner United Kingdom Founder Member Subscriber

Jeff is right the manufacturer for Gloria is Ketan Industries. Sarvoday Nagar, 212, Panjapole Road 1, Bombay India. They made a range of lanterns. A 250cp and then 350 and 500cp both with or without a rapid preheater. There is also a 500cp do nut lamp. ::Neil::

7. Bo Ryman

Bo Ryman Founder Member Subscriber

Aha, thank you for that information. I was absolutely sure it was a China lamp.

Neil, you say Gloria company but the lamp is called Glory, is that right? Are they still active and making lamps?

About the mantle, it is not lit and the lamp is not mine, yet. But I have been offered to buy it. Still a bit doubtful though.

Bo

8. JEFF JOHNSON

JEFF JOHNSON United Kingdom Subscriber

Hello Bo, I reckon that Neil made a typing error there as the brand is Glory.

I'm not sure if they still make lamps, but the one in the photos appears to be well made, Jeff.

9. Mackburner

Mackburner United Kingdom Founder Member Subscriber

Yes sorry. Got Gloria on the brain and the fingers sort of do their own thing here. Glory it is. You never can tell with Indian manufacturers they may well still be operating. ::Neil::