Cleaning old lamps

Discussion in 'Fettling Forum' started by Graham-Melbourne, Nov 26, 2020.

1. Graham-Melbourne

Graham-Melbourne Australia Subscriber

What is the best way to clean up grotty speculum / nickel plated lanterns?

Would like to remove whatever can be removed without damaging the original surface or general patina.

Thanks to this forum I now know the large lantern is a Solar from Hong Kong, the centre is a Tilley X246 ( age unknown) and the small lantern is an Australian made Coleman Sport-Lite 242B. ( Burns petrol ( "Gasoline")

Thank you!

20201126_081900.jpg

2. Tony Press

Tony Press Australia Subscriber

Stinkpot Bay, Howden, Tasmania, Australia
    @ROBBO55 has given some good advice in your other thread.

After getting the crud off, I use Autosol to polish. Do not be aggressive with the polishing, or you will begin to take off the plating.

Cheers

Tony

3. Burkster United Kingdom

Silver foil ( tinfoil ), scrunched up with a dash of water works well, then dry off and use Autosol,. Really good stuff, I apply then use an old electric toothbrush to polish / buff off :thumbup:

4. Graham-Melbourne

Graham-Melbourne Australia Subscriber

5. Tony Press

Tony Press Australia Subscriber

Stinkpot Bay, Howden, Tasmania, Australia
    @Graham-Melbourne

This one. You can buy it in a toothpaste-type tube or in larger quantities in tins.
    4854A89B-C119-4F0C-855D-4FE051D87794.jpeg

Cheers

Tony

6. MYN

Well, both plating and general patina can be removed :).
    Ok, I'll assume you're talking about removing the surface dirt, grime, oxidation and blemishes. As with all the earlier responses.
    Just water and detergent would make a lot of difference on some. If the unit is not painted, I'd use mineral spirits and a mild scrub with very fine steel wool or equivalent. Probably some work with soft brass-bristled brush too.
    If you want to go further to create showroom-grade finishes, then you can either polish or buff with Autosol, Mothers and the like. Or wax the painted ones.
    No course abrasives.
    If the oxidation is heavy and you don't mind removing the patina as well, then some acidic(citric/acetic) treatment might help before finishing and buffing.
    Have fun.

7. Hanzo

Hanzo Subscriber

One thing that works on grime is household oven cleaner . Just spray it on and let it sit for 15 minutes and then wash off with soap and water, then polish.