Cleaning the brass

Discussion in 'Forum Feedback & Problems' started by Richiep, Jun 15, 2019.

1. Richiep United Kingdom

3F6F99B6-972C-4FCC-B6EB-C7EDEA415092.jpeg hi all I know a little elbow grease will help but is there any shortcuts or liquids that I can use for those little brass bits

2. MYN

Plenty of preferred different methods by different people.
    Elbow grease would be surest and safest but sometimes there could be too many of them to work on.
    If you'd like to use chemicals, remember to remove all attached plastic or rubber parts first.
    Immersion in acetone or other organic solvents would soften, disperse or dissolve greasy grimes.
    For stubborn ones, use some alkaline engine degreasser/cleaners.
    For aged, oxidation, use some citric acid or vinegar. Avoid, if you are not familiar, those strong mineral acids such hydrocloric, nitric, sulphuric and such because these are aggressive. They sometimes act too quickly and you might end up corroding or overdoing the pieces. That's besides them being highly hazardous.
    I'm sure there are plenty of other safer, ready-to-use consumer products that could do the job fine.

3. Richiep United Kingdom

Thanks, I’ve used autosol & a little vinegar with precaution

4. MYN

Well, Autosol is another brand for 'elbow grease' to me.:)

5. AussiePete

AussiePete Australia Subscriber

@Richiep I use citric acid, the cooking variety found in the supermarket. I dissolve 2 table spoons of the critic acid powder into 2 litres of very hot water and after degreasing the part to be cleaned, drop it into the hot citric acid solution. I leave the part in the acid solution for only 30 minutes. After the 30 minutes I remove the part and wash it thoroughly with cold clean water removing any residue acid. I then clean the part with a brass bristled hand brush .....
    Warning...... if you leave the brass part in the citric acid solution too long it will turn a pink colour, this is not the end of the world and the later brass brushing process will remove the coppery pink stuff.
    Further, if you place nickel plated parts into the citric acid, do it only for a short time as the citric acid will slowly remove the nickel plating.
    I have an ultrasonic cleaner, designed and used for cleaning brass bullet shells, that I use for the final clean. The ultrasonic cleaner really cleans the insides and hard to get places. I must point out that the ultrasonic cleaner is not a mandatory thing to have ..... but it works very well.
    Cheers
    Pete