Col-max 500 USA 1950

Discussion in '555 Col-Max' started by seavandal, Jan 5, 2017.

1. seavandal

I was at an estate sale of a 95 year old gentleman here in Glendale California and came upon this lantern. I watched a guy pick it up and look it up on ebay later putting it down saying that they're only worth 5 bucks. I didn't know what it was but I bought it just for the entertainment value of finding out what it was.
    I was surprised to find out how rare this one actually is. Made in USA in the last half of the year in 1950 with no foreign markings on the fount.
    It was super clean as found so I polished it up a little, put a new leather pump cup on the plunger, replaced the pip in the NRV,and pre-burned a couple of mantles on it. I put new kero in the fount, put about 40 pumps in it, gave it a pre-heat with Denatured alcohol, crossed my fingers and lit it.
    I have never used a Kero lantern before, so pre-heating was new to me. The alcohol burned for about a minute. I opened the fuel valve and an instant perfect white glow from the mantles! Sweet! I didn't like the first mantles I put on it since they were #21 Coleman mantles and burned dimly. I happened to have a couple of 500cp mantles, so I put those on which burned much brighter. Really bright! My back yard lit up nicely.
    I don't know if this is a Col-max 555 since it only reads Col-max 500 C.P. I haven't seen this particular model anywhere online. This must be one of the first Col-max 500's made. I understand that these lanterns were made for the foreign market but maybe the first ones were made for the US market. The gentleman that I bought it from used to camp in the 30's to the 60's a lot. His stove was a Svea 115 from the teens (bought that too!). Here are a few pictures of the Col-max 500 C.P. Cheers! Chris
    1483650212-Col-max_500_cp_opt.jpg 1483650226-col-max_logo_and_date_opt.jpg 1483650240-col-max_pre-heat_cup_opt.jpg 1483650254-col-max_top_view_opt.jpg 1483650268-col-max_top_opt.jpg 1483650305-fuel_control_and_pump_opt.jpg 1483650321-col-max_500_cp_with_Svea_115_opt.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 31, 2017
  2. phaedrus42

phaedrus42 Subscriber

Very nice condition. It was obviously looked after very well. The Model 555 was marked 500CP on the knob, and the 333 was marked 300CP. Better keep it fuelled up! I hear you guys are in for 3 feet of snow soon! (although, I would consider that model to be much too special for everyday use)

3. Mackburner

Mackburner United Kingdom Founder Member Subscriber

Yes this is Col-Max 555. Early one made in the US too because production was moved to Canada and then Hong Kong by 1955. I am not sure of the exact dates of the production moves. There were versions made with a rapid pre heater and later models had a pressure gauge. Good reliable lantern and not at all easy to find. ::Neil::

4. JEFF JOHNSON

JEFF JOHNSON United Kingdom Subscriber

Welcome aboard and that was a lucky find! :thumbup: