Col-Max Coleman 222

Discussion in '222, Col-Max' started by Superman, Jul 20, 2011.

1. Superman

Coleman lantern or Col-Max.
    Production at the United States.
    Stamped number A 49.
    Glass Colex.The bottom is made of steel.

More suggestions welcome.

Thanks.

1311136049-Picture_1181.jpg 1311136110-Picture_1174.jpg 1311136129-Picture_1177.jpg 1311136149-Picture_1178.jpg 1311136172-Picture_1176.jpg 1311136192-Picture_1175.jpg 1311136845-Picture_1158.jpg 1311136865-Picture_1155.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 1, 2017
  2. Mackburner

Mackburner United Kingdom Founder Member Subscriber

A rare and wonderous thing. One of the lamps I would like one day. I have a big one 350 or 500 not sure but I do like these smaller lanterns. ::Neil::

3. Superman

Thanks Neil.

Sometimes I like small things as well.

Thanks again.

4. rbhodges

I am interested to know why Coleman made this lantern. It bares an eerie resemblence to an Optimus 200 or 200P. Since they had a line of very fine lanterns of their own. Why did it seem nessesary to produce a copy?

Rick

5. David Shouksmith

David Shouksmith United Kingdom Founder Member

They were made so that Coleman could get a toe into the Far East market and so-designed because that was what customers in that part of the world were used to...

6. Superman

Hi Rick and David Shouksmith.

Thank you for your questions and answers.
    For detailed information about Coleman, I do not know too much.
    May be possible that the market in Asia. Needs as possible.

I do not see this. Zones in Europe and America.
    Just as with The Model 238B, as far as I know, this version is only available in Asia only.

With respect.
    Thanks.

7. Wim

Wim Subscriber

Hi Superman, the 238B was also used by the Belgian army. These have the user's information in dutch and in french on the lantern. I have no idea how many were bought, but as this is a small country, we only have a small army ;) Some may have been left in Korea early '50's, as a small continguent of the Belgian army went there under United Nations command.

Best regards,

Wim

8. Superman

Hello Wim,
    Nice to meet you.
    I know the history of 238B may be wrong.
    You tell history. It's interesting.

Welcome to listen with respect.
    Thanks

9. Mackburner

Most Coleman kerosene lanterns of this type tend to turn up outside the US. All the Col-Max were sold into the middle and Far East but they were advertised in Europe as well. The same is true of 238B. They were advertised in Europe and were sold there but not in great numbers. They also turn up in Australia which means they were being sold into British commonwealth countries. Hardly surprising really as being Canadian made the natural market would have included the UK and other other assosiated countries. ::Neil::

10. Superman

Hi Neil,

I have learned about the hurricane lamp from you.

Thanks.

11. Mackburner

Well maybe but a great deal of what I know and have gathered over the years is from other collectors who are interested in the history. What I have done is collect information and write it down. I am learning about lamps from Thailand because Colonel Sun is also interested and has sent me any interesting advertisements and such that he has found.

Collecting and using lamps is one thing but the extension to that is asking yourself what is the history. Sometimes paper is more important and interesting than the lamps. ::Neil::

12. Juan

And Uruguay.

13. Mackburner

Yes of course they were and I forgot. We are still learning about what was sold in South and central America. We are perhaps getting close to understanding what was manufactured in Argentina and I have some brands from Uruguay. We can know about these because the names are marked on the lamps but finding what was imported and sold is not so easy without paper and I am sure there is much to learn yet. ::Neil::