Coleman 143?

Discussion in 'Other/Unidentified' started by wd6bgn, Dec 26, 2012.

1. wd6bgn

I just got this lamp from an antque shop. He had dropped the shade, but made a great price on the lamp. I am guessing it is a 143. It has the pressing in the middle.
    On the bottom it says Coleman quick light. Numbers on each side are either 6 6 or 9 9, depending on which way is up. Also stamped with C Q.
    So I am guessing it is a June 1936 lamp. Oh it has the built in pump. And the lampshade holder is a bit odd. Other than the paint peeling off, and the pump leather needing some oil, I think it should work just fine.

So, how's my guess? Worth $20.00 USD?

-Ralph in the wilds of Missouri.

1356560753-overview_opt.jpg 1356560974-Bottom_opt.jpg 1356561000-topview_opt.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 1, 2017
  2. Dan D

Dan D Subscriber

Hi Ralph,

I can say with almost 99% certainty that it's a 118A made in Sep 1929 (9 9). It's a first generation Instant-Lite. It has the gold colac finish and the correct shade holder for a glass lamp which is what it came with.

See my post on this lamp here ...
    http://0flo.com/index.php?threads/4197

Should work well with a bit of clean up. Give the font a good flushing and check for rust. It's critical that the filter screen at the fuel pick up not be clogged on this lamp.

Dan

3. wd6bgn

Thanks Dan,
    Should I repaint the tank. ie chem strip, buff then light spray of some gold?
    It also has the built in pump.

-Ralph

4. Dan D

Dan D Subscriber

Hi Ralph,

Coleman's Colac finish is what's more commonly known as a crackle finish. You can do it fairly easily with latex paint (Sherman Williams sells material to do this) but it's a bit more complicated to do with oil base/lacquer paints. You can look up this technique on the web.

Before refinishing, try to clean it up and use some polish to bring back the remaining paint colors, you may amazed and actually like the "used look". But it may be beyond hope and then of course you could just strip it and use gold and black/brown paint as you mention, to match the original paint scheme without the crackle. It should look really nice re-done .

But before going too far down the re-finishing path, get the lamp working properly. There's been more than one occasion that I spent a lot of time cleaning and polishing a lamp or lantern, only to find a major issue (pin holes/stress cracks in the tank) when trying to get it to actually work.

Dan

5. wd6bgn

Great idea Dan,
    I'm going to give it a go tommrow. It does need a new gasket for the filler, and some oil on the pump lever. I'll rinse the tank out with some colman fuel, and then give it a go. If it lights, I'll post the results here.

I think someone said that one of the newer and more available glass globes would fit. I know the 200 globs is too small, and there is nothing to hold the 220 globe. Of course with more funds a mica globe would be great! Then a glass shade, but I get ahead of my self.

The rule is only 25,000 things at a time. LOL

-Ralph

6. Dan D

Dan D Subscriber

Hi Ralph,

From your post I believe you are referring to the glass globe mantle protector which you may have seen on these lamps. You only need these if you are using a parchment shade (or a kerosene burner). These posts here cover all the options well...
    http://0flo.com/index.php?threads/2173
    http://0flo.com/index.php?threads/4465
    http://0flo.com/index.php?threads/3242

The 118A came with a glass shade and the shade holder that you have is meant for a glass shade only (when you use a glass shade, you don't use the glass mantle protector). These glass shades are available on Ebay or you can get a new one from Leacock Coleman here. Aladdin 10" shades usually work with these shade holders so you have a lot of options.

Look inside your font with a good narrow beam flashlight, if it looks "cleanish", then a rinse is probably OK. If it looks "gunky", then you may need a more potent cleaner and the best one available is Marine Clean (link).

Good luck,
    Dan

7. wd6bgn

Lamp is lit. Ok, I do need to clean it up more, but the basics are OK. Not bad for something 84 years old. I hope I work as well. Funny thing, it uses the same generator as my 220F. So I light it just like the 220F, and it works just fine.
    Thanks Dan! 1356887626-Lit_Lamp_opt.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 31, 2017
  8. JEFF JOHNSON

JEFF JOHNSON United Kingdom Subscriber

Another fine old lamp working again! :thumbup:

9. Dan D

Dan D Subscriber

Nice job Ralph!

It looks like it's burning perfectly.
    Now for a shade so you don't get blinded by the light!! 8)

Dan

10. wd6bgn

Thanks Dan.

This was a real easy one. I'll be looking for a shade for it. I also think it could use a good soak. I think it should be a bit brighter. It has the Peerless mantles on it, and they may be a bit too long? Dunno. Anyway as I write this it is burning away helping to keep my shop warm. I figure a few hours of burn time won't hurt a thing.
    Cheers! And have a Happy New Year!