Coleman 200A - First Fettle

Discussion in 'Pressure Lamp Discussion Forum' started by Keith Cochran, Nov 21, 2020.

1. Keith Cochran

Keith Cochran United States Subscriber

It didn't take long for my addictive nature to kick in after finding these lamps...
    You all say I can get this going so I started tearing one apart (not complete yet)...
    I'll read up as much as I can as to what needs to be done but any help would be great...
    No need to rush anything, I think any parts I need can be found "local"...
    I don't mind spending more than I should on something but I'm not buying a 150.00+ NOS fount...

I have nice Scotch to trade if the need should ever come up...

I did a little cleaning on the burner frame, top hat and fuel cap...
    Is there an "easy" way to remove disassemble the 3 piece cap without ruining it...?
    Here's a few photos of what I'm starting with...

Coleman 200A.jpg Coleman 200A Back.jpg Coleman 200A Parts.jpg Burner Frame.jpg Top Hat.jpg Fuel 01.jpg Fuel 02.jpg

2. Keith Cochran

Rolling right along...

Rolling.jpg

3. David Shouksmith

David Shouksmith United Kingdom Founder Member

Yes - screw the filler cap back onto the lantern and then use a screwdriver as normal to remove the centre screw. It works for me...

4. Keith Cochran

Well David, that was easy...
    I bought a new overhead light so I will have a better chance to see now...
    Internet seems to be working better so I can watch videos again too...

I've been wondering what does everyone else does to clean their nuts and other parts...?
    Heat (fire), solvents (chemicals), abrasives (sanding/sandblasting - steel wool/brush), etc...

This is my workspace, not mine yet but it is in the works...
    2 months ago I could not even walk inside it was so full...
    Lots to do but I will make it a real working shop soon...

shop.jpg shop2.jpg

Is this how "it" starts...lol...

5. JEFF JOHNSON

JEFF JOHNSON United Kingdom Subscriber

The lamping bug bites deeply, but it's fun and the link below shows a good source for parts.

OldColemanParts.com

6. BigStevie

BigStevie United Kingdom Subscriber

Looking good, you’ll be surprised how quickly your new space fills with lamps....

7. Hanzo

Hanzo Subscriber

You can soak screws and other soot stained metal parts in white vinegar and boiling hot water. Citric Acid from the Walmart canning/pickling shelf works just as well.

8. David Shouksmith

David Shouksmith United Kingdom Founder Member

Yes - it dawned on me (eventually) that there was another way to do it and I couldn't believe how easy it was and why hadn't I thought of it before... :oops:

Soap and water...

9. Alex Smith

Alex Smith United Kingdom Subscriber

Sponge or flannel?

10. podbros

podbros United Kingdom Subscriber

A good rub down with a stiff brush:thumbup:

11. Alex Smith

Alex Smith United Kingdom Subscriber

Perfect, that will do it.

12. Keith Cochran

Actually my mind (and body) is exhausted from caring for my 82 year old father in law with dementia the last 4 1/2 months (he passed oct 29) and my mother in law who had a stroke 8 weeks ago, their property, cat and dog, my home, my wife and 2 cats, all an hour away... I'm also almost legally blind with bad lighting in a makeshift shop working on something I know nothing about... I beat my body up for 26 years as a Firefighter, 5 times requiring surgery, then finally disabled and retired...
    My internet speed is .9 Mbsp at best via satellite on a clear day (it's not clear this time of year) on an account that was throttled due to non-payment... Since I started this project I have learned it is a 2 / 61 which is right after my father in law was discharged from the Army... This is likely the first lantern he ever purchased... Since there were so many I thought they were just ones he picked up along the way...

I'm not sure what I just need to clean or what needs replacing...
    I know I need a new fuel cap gasket, new glass, new leather and a mantle...
    The FA tube needs cleaning... I don't know what a good vs a bad part looks like (unless it's obvious)...
    I've never seen a tip cleaner that wasn't seized up and this one is no different...
    I didn't even know what the thing was until last night...
    Do I need a new one, can this one be fixed...? I'm sure I'll figure things out...
    I don't even mind screwing up, but since this turned out to be a somewhat special lamp I'd rather it not be on this one...

No progress on the lamp but major cleaning for the shop...

Shop_New.jpg

13. ROBBO55

ROBBO55 Subscriber

Keith,
    I've never seen a tip cleaner that wasn't seized up and this one is no different

In this post 1938 Coleman 242B Needle Mechanism Question

14. MikeO

MikeO Subscriber

Hi Keith,

Yup, life is a challenge and I've got to say that an hour away from those pressures restoring your Dad's old 200 is time well-spent--for you and everyone that depends on you. Recharge and refresh!

Here's a great link from Frank Bebb who used to run a Coleman repair business. He takes you through the steps to clean a 200 lantern. Lots of great info on his site. His instructions are affectionately called FFR's (Full Frank Rebuild) by Coleman collectors. I know I used them for my first lanterns back in 2006 or 07. High speed internet was just coming along then in, so you could open them with pictures--if you dared! They should help you sort the good from the bad and looking at your photos, I'd say your parts are good.
    The Old Town Coleman Center

As mentioned above, heat is your friend with the pricker lever. Loosen the packing nut a bit, heat it gently with a propane torch or butane torch, and as it cools, I dribble a bit of oil down the shaft to help free up the lever from the graphite packing. Work it as it cools and snug up again. I bet you'll be able to save it. Yet another skill acquired for that 427!

Mike.

Last edited: Nov 23, 2020
  15. ColinG

ColinG United Kingdom Subscriber

Woah! That light is excellent! I find the older I get, the more light I need to see stuff properly.... in technical terms it's to do with something called Modular Transfer Function.... a fancy way of saying more light = better visual definition. I definitely need to find a large light like yours for my workshop.

Last edited: Nov 23, 2020