Coleman 201 Fettle advise needed

Discussion in 'Fettling Forum' started by Kiwiboy00, Apr 23, 2022.

1. Kiwiboy00

Kiwiboy00 Subscriber

Recently I acquired a very rusty 201 that had been neglected. I’m soaking the badly rusted frame in citric acid all day and overnight then will attack it with a wire brush and Dremel.

Unfortunately the tank was rusted quite badly around the bottom rim so i have stripped back the tank to sand away the rusted areas. The hood is semi ok for its age and requires no attention.

Is it possible to polish the tank on the Coleman 201 and I don’t mean shiny just a clean look. Can I get away with not painting the tank or putting on a clear coat ?

I was hoping to use some polish and leave it looking clean but bare. Also I have a Sonic cleaner is there any particular solution that removes rust easily from lantern frames ?

I’m interested to hear everyone’s thoughts on what they use in their sonic cleaner to remove rust so I can go out and buy some solution tomorrow. Once I remove the rust from the frame can i wipe it down with oil and a rag will that be enough to keep it from flash rusting I haven’t had much luck clear coating burner frames.

Also does anyone have a new 201 generator that I can please purchase from them. Unfortunately this one is completely shot.

I’m dammed if I’m letting this go to the dump due to neglect. It might not look original but I will get her shining bright again

3688CB9B-6536-42B8-B362-FABCDB923584.jpeg F7DFC630-ADA4-41FE-817F-90CB86AE5CC9.jpeg 966542B2-DC8C-4913-9324-9B189303E567.jpeg 3FE0EE77-054E-42DD-B9CD-BBC467340201.jpeg

2. Reese Williams

For bits in that shape I much prefer electrolysis for rust removal. Take the valve out of the fount (F/A tube will most likely need cleaned anyway). For lanterns that use a 1/8 npt thread in the bung (as yours does) a suitable length pipe nipple can be screwed in to suspend the fount in the electrolysis tank. After the tank in done, do the frame. You can polish and clear coat the fount, but like a brass tank that is stripped and polished, after you've been collecting for a while you'll come to see it just doesn't look right. On the other hand, you might fall in love with the look. Your lantern, your call.

3. Kiwiboy00

Kiwiboy00 Subscriber

Thank you, I appreciate you getting back to me. Unfortunately all I have is a sonic cleaner using Evapo-Rust solution. Is there any way to stop flash rusting without spray painting or clear coating the frame ?

Once I’ve removed the rust is it possible to spray the frame with something to stop flash rusting keeping that natural rustic look. Can I dip it in oil wipe it down. Any advice would be appreciated I just don’t want to paint the frame or clear coat the frame.

Kind Regards
    Darren

4. Tony Press

Tony Press Australia Subscriber

Stinkpot Bay, Howden, Tasmania, Australia
    Apply turpentine immediately…

5. Reese Williams

See my response to your other thread on this lantern. Building an electrolysis set up is dead easy and cheap. You probably have all the stuff you need sitting around already.

6. Kiwiboy00

Kiwiboy00 Subscriber

Hi Tony hope all is well. Do I paint on the phosphoric acid first, then when it drys hit it with turpentine or in what order are you referring to.

Cheers
    Darren

7. Kiwiboy00

Kiwiboy00 Subscriber

I will check now Reese.

Cheers
    Darren

8. MYN

Was the fount painted originally? A lot of Coleman founts came as painted if not nickel-plated.
    After removing the rust, you can polish, oil or wax it if you don't fancy it being painted or clear-coated. Evaporust would remove most, if not all the rust. Phosphoric acid treatment would convert whatever traces of flash rust into hydrated iron phosphate if you intend to take this route. Additional wipe down with oil would further enhance protection from further rusting.
    I'm not sure why you wouldn't want to paint it. It is still among the best rust prevention techniques available. Maybe you don't want it looking too 'new', I guess...

9. Reese Williams

Coleman frames that weren't plated were galvanized. I don't know of any Colemans that came with painted frames.

10. Tony Press

Tony Press Australia Subscriber

Stinkpot Bay, Howden, Tasmania, Australia
    @Kiwiboy00

My suggestion for using mineral turpentine was in the case if you using citric acid or similar, or electrolysis to remove the rust.

If you apply phosphoric acid as a rust converter, the rust is already stabilised.

Tony

11. Kiwiboy00

Kiwiboy00 Subscriber

Thank you for the advise given. I am more familiar with Tilley then Coleman.

Ive stripped the paint from the 201 tank but can i get away with just using mothers and leaving the tank buffed and polished or do these tanks require paint. Guessing the tank is steel of some type so not sure if mothers alone will protect it from rust. But I want that bare tank look if I can get away with it without a clear coat.

Would be interesting if this tank buffs up nicely without going rusty. Has anyone actually attempted this on the 201 tanks.

Cheers
    Darren

12. phaedrus42

phaedrus42 Subscriber

It is yours to do with as you please, but if it were mine I would restore it as close to factory finish as I could. That said, a brushed metal finish with clear coat could look rather nice. Baking it in the oven would harden the coating and make it more fuel resistant.

13. MYN

If I've not mistaken, I think i could more or less undestand your fondness on some old bare metal finishes. Like, something you'd find on well-used/seasoned anvils, tools or some archaic cast iron equipment and machineries that don't have a coat of paint on them but neither are they rusty red. I love the look of those stuffs too. Well, those stuffs simply exude a certain 'rawness' and charm that no amount of artificial restoration could beat.:)

14. ColinG

ColinG United Kingdom Subscriber

There are times when an old patina is very pleasing and with brass hoods it's unavoidable, but with steel, the 'patina' is rust so if it isn't treated you'll end up with a perforated tank at some point. If it was me I'd paint it the closest Coleman green(?) you can to protect the surface.

I was asked to restore a rusty railway lantern a while back. The rust had really taken hold over the entire surface of the lamp but the owner asked me not to remove any of the rust as he wanted it to look old. I respectfully declined and the poor old girl is still hanging in all weathers waiting to rot away completely. Shame really.

If someone came across an old and potentially rare automobile out in the woods, would the best course of action be inaction? Would they bring it home and display it in their garden and proudly watch it rust into the ground?

15. ROBBO55

ROBBO55 Subscriber

I don't know enough about Mothers but waxing will stop the rust for a while. But it will require reapplying at regular intervals. How long will depend on the environment it's stored in. Low moisture, dust free - will be longer than on a shelf in the shed.

16. podbros

podbros United Kingdom Subscriber

It’s all good advice :thumbup:

There are clear lacquers available in a rattle-can with a matt finish if you don’t want shiny gloss?

whatever you decide on it would be great to see your finished work :thumbup:

17. Kiwiboy00

Kiwiboy00 Subscriber

Sorry for the late reply, I have been away working. I really do appreciate everyone’s advise and help. I will post some photos before and after in the next week or so.

18. Kiwiboy00

Kiwiboy00 Subscriber

Just thought I would give you all a quick update on my 201 strip down. So the rust was really bad in many areas of the tank including the frame. I used Evapo Rust that removed most of the heavy rust but left behind deep ugly pitting on the tank rim and burner frame. I thought i would use Brasso on the tank and so far its been 2 weeks and zero surface rust has formed. Unfortunately I could not save the generator and had to install a new one. This 201 looks ugly, but I saved her from being dumped.

In the coming weeks I will light her up and take a few photos. Work has been crazy busy so my apologies for the delayed update.

Cheers
    Kiwi

Attached Files:

19. Sedgman

Sedgman Subscriber

Looking quite good to me. :thumbup:

20. ColinG

ColinG United Kingdom Subscriber

It looks extremely good to me!

21. Kiwiboy00

Kiwiboy00 Subscriber

Thank you guys appreciate the kind words. It’s always pleasurable working on a piece of history.

Cheers
    Kiwi