Coleman 214 '92 first light up

Discussion in 'Lamp Action Gallery' started by Fireexit1, Oct 23, 2020.

1. Fireexit1

Fireexit1 United Kingdom Subscriber

And along came another coleman.. a 214A700 with 92 on the base
    This one was all sooty, somebody had filled it with coleman fuel, and then judging by the type and quantity of fine sand found in it extiguished the ensuing flames with a fire bucket !
    After much cleaning and a new pump leather it lit first time. It does suffer a faulty pump NRV (probably sand in it) so I need to find an NRV tool having tried washing it out with acetone/oil etc.

214-700 2.jpg
    214-700 1.jpg
    214-700 as dug.jpg

2. Norman

Norman United States Subscriber

Hello @Fireexit1

Acetone may work but I've found on the newer Coleman lanterns once the NRV starts leaking it needs to be replaced. Now if the Acetone works then this is wonderful but if it doesn't work and the NRV still leaks go to the Base Camp web site in the UK because they do offer Coleman parts. Here's the link.

Coleman Spares Price List

Scroll down the page to the lantern section and you will find the NRV you need.

I hope this information is helpful.

Cheers,
    Norman

3. JEFF JOHNSON

JEFF JOHNSON United Kingdom Subscriber

It's in good nick!:thumbup:

4. Walkop Australia

Looking good now.

5. Fireexit1

@Norman Thanks for the advice. I have tried to clean it (acetone etc) following the guidance on this board, but it remains resolutley a two-way affair. Basecamp do have replacemnt valves and at a reasonalble price, so I will add it to my my next order from them.
    I havre tried to remove it with a very large armourer's screwdriver but no luck. Many people say to get the coleman NRV tool, but I am not sure these are easy to get hold of anymore.
    Chris

6. Henry Plews

Henry Plews Subscriber

Perhaps you can make your own. In order to reduce / eliminate damage to the slot in the NRV, the key elements are:
    a) a shaft that is a snug fit in the pump tube.
    b) a blade that is a practically perfect fit in the slot.

Not a particularly good image but this is the business end of a tool for older type valves. Ignore the hole down the centre, it doesn't apply to the valve in your lantern. Note not only how broad the blade is but also that in cross section it is square.

DSCN0419 (2).JPG

If you want to have a go at making your own, find a long enough bolt with a diameter that is a snug fit in the pump tube. If it's bit slack, pack it out with insulation tape.
    The square section blade should go the full width of the bolt and needs to be 3/32 X 3/32 inch (aprox. 2.5 X 2.5 mm).

Place the tank against something that won't move and using a socket with sliding T bar (to balance the torque), use as much downward force as is necessary to keep the blade in the slot and turn in the appropriate direction.

Last edited: Oct 24, 2020
  7. Alex Smith

Alex Smith United Kingdom Subscriber

@Fireexit1 Chris, if I remember correctly Coleman NRV tools can be purchased from OCP (Old Coleman Parts) in the States.

8. phaedrus42

phaedrus42 Subscriber

On that 214, the NRV has a rubber o-ring seal on it, so it should be easy to remove the NRV with a large flat blade screw driver. Once you have it out and have checked that the ball is clean and free, tap the ball onto the seat with a soft drift pin and hammer. Test by sucking and blowing through it.

9. Fireexit1

@phaedrus42 - and so it does. And so I did. And it now works !
    top tip - many thanks
    Chris