Coleman 214A Lantern

Discussion in '214, 214A, 214B' started by Norman, May 4, 2019.

1. Norman

Norman United States Subscriber

Hello,

I've been wanting to get a 214 for years now and I finally have found one that didn't come from the bay of evil. The bay may be convenient for finding lanterns, but in general the prices go up far more then the lantern is actually worth. This 214A was made in September 1987.
    This one came from an Amish warehouse in Indiana and it was the last one they had. It was new in the box and no it wasn't cheap but to find a new unfired Coleman 214 on the bay would have been twice as expensive as what I paid.
    Some will ask are you going to fire this lantern up and the answer is yes.

The original box is in very good condition for sitting in a warehouse since 1987.
    DSC08297.JPG DSC08298.JPG

The lantern and all parts are in new condition. The Coleman Kerosene label is starting to peal a bit. Since the lantern had sat for so many years I decided to change the filler cap gasket. The glass is unbranded but this may be common for the Amish but I may be wrong.
    DSC08299.JPG DSC08300.JPG DSC08301.JPG DSC08302.JPG DSC08303.JPG DSC08304.JPG DSC08305.JPG DSC08306.JPG DSC08307.JPG DSC08308.JPG DSC08309.JPG DSC08310.JPG DSC08311.JPG

I used an Egret mantle for the 214 which is working out quite well. This 214 is very bright that is for sure.
    Here's some action shots during the day.
    DSC08313.JPG DSC08314.JPG DSC08316.JPG

Here's some night shots.
    DSC08318.JPG DSC08319.JPG DSC08320.JPG

I'm pleased with my new acquisition.

Cheers,

Norman

2. ColinG

ColinG United Kingdom Subscriber

That is a damn nice lantern you have there! So the Amish have a warehouse? What else do they have there? I have to say, the US and Canada have a better system for buying and selling second hand goods... lanterns particularly. In the UK, auction sites and second hand goods sites are about it apart from car boot sales of course. Junk shops and charity shops are now so heavily regulated there are so many items they're simply not allowed to sell, including paraffin lanterns, liquid fuelled pressure stoves or gas stoves, sharp bladed knives, untested electrical equipment, anything that may have contained fuel plus a lot of other stuff. It makes collecting the things I like much more difficult (although not impossible) and usually more expensive. It is done under the guise of health and safety but it's an open secret that it forces the less determined to buy new. Hmmmm, I wonder who advises the health and safety executive... surely not industry representatives with vested interests!

3. Haggis United States

Cool find,,, I’ve never even seen an actual Coleman kerosene lantern “in the wild”, or anywhere else, here in Minnesota.

4. JEFF JOHNSON

JEFF JOHNSON United Kingdom Subscriber

A lucky find!:thumbup:

5. Norman

Norman United States Subscriber

@ColinG, @Haggis

Thanks guys for the kink compliments.

Colin it is too bad one has to go out of their way to find lanterns and stoves in the UK. I know these liquid fueled stoves and lanterns are still available available which is great.
    Most of the Amish warehouses are slowly being bought out but fortunately Mike at oldcolemanparts is the one doing the buying. Mike is most likely the largest supplies of Coleman parts so if you need something for one of your Coleman lanterns Mike will most likely have it. He does ship internationally.
    It is too you have to deal with all of this which proves there are a lot of stupid people out there and for some reason they are the ones in charge. There is a saying which very true and that saying is,"Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large numbers".

Haggis sometimes you can find a 214 on Craigslist and granted you may have to drive a ways to get one but it is worth it. Just think of this, if you do find a 214 and keep it for say 10 years the price will quadruple.
    The 214 and 201 along with several others were never popular here in the US because most Americans are a bit on the lazy side so they want the instant on and they're not willing to take the extra time needed to fire a Kerosene lantern.
    You can find a 214 it will just take a lot of time to do it.

@JEFF JOHNSON, Yes this was indeed a lucky find and this little lantern runs fantastic.

Cheers,

Norman