Coleman 220E, Dec 1962

Discussion in 'Fettling Forum' started by ColinG, Oct 8, 2019.

1. ColinG

ColinG United Kingdom Subscriber

Just got home to find this waiting for me. The glass hadn't survived the journey which isn't that surprising as it was loose in the frame... which has seen better days but it'll clean up ok plus I have a replacement collar and frame on its way. The enamel hood is in relatively good condition but I couldn't resist giving it a quick wash!

IMG_20191008_180718_4.jpg

IMG_20191008_180753_1.jpg

IMG_20191008_180805_2.jpg

IMG_20191008_180812_7.jpg

IMG_20191008_180824_3.jpg

IMG_20191008_181011_3.jpg

I've already got a 220K and a 220f so I wasn't really looking for yet another 220 anything but that enamel hood with the wide brim... how could I resist!?

In case you were wondering, it was left outside hanging in a tree for a year.

2. JEFF JOHNSON

JEFF JOHNSON United Kingdom Subscriber

It's in need of some TLC..

3. ColinG

Yup. I might have to respray the fount but I'll need to locate a better match for the green, and I wondered if I could save the frame and collar but they'll have to be replaced. The burner assembly will be fine once it's carefully cleaned but I'll have to make sure it isn't blocked with regular petrol additives.

4. AussiePete

AussiePete Australia Subscriber

@ColinG
    A good fettling project.
    Coincidentally, I’m fettling a 220C as well. My frame and collar was rusted to buggery as well, in addition the whole thing was poorly spray painted with a very hard slightly flakey green paint.
    We both have a challenging but I’m sure rewarding time ahead.
    Cheers
    Pete

5. Norman

Norman United States Subscriber

Hi Colin,

It will look good when you get it cleaned up.

As for the green well if you can find a close match it will look great.

Cheers,
    Norman

6. ColinG

The fact that its got a sound fount, a good fuel system/burner assembly and a good hood makes it worthwhile fixing. I'm actually looking forward to getting it working again and I'll post photos of the work as I progress.

7. bp4willi

bp4willi Germany Subscriber

Will be interesting to see the progress.

8. Mackburner

Mackburner United Kingdom Founder Member Subscriber

Something wrong here. It can't be a 220C from 1962. 220C production ended in 1947. Then D '47 to '51 and 220/228E 1951 to 1963. So a green painted steel tank dated '62 and a spring clip to fix the pump cap and you have a 220E. ::Neil::

9. ColinG

Thanks for the correction Neil. I was basing my ID on the hood alone really. Once I start fettling it, I'll post some more detailed updates.

10. ColinG

I cleaned some of the rust away from the collar and found the markings - it's a 220E. @Mackburner would it be possible to change the name so it's correct?

11. Mackburner

Mackburner United Kingdom Founder Member Subscriber

Yes but not by me. Just click on "report" and explain. I have just done that for you this time. Anyone can do this and it flags up the post to the mods who can change things if required. ::Neil::

12. Jean J

Jean J Subscriber

How did you get rid of all that rust Colin? I have a Coleman with the same problem.

13. ColinG

I haven't yet but I'll probably use a replacement frame and collar that @Norman is getting for me from the good ol' US of A.

I'm actually going to see if I can treat the rusty frame and collar anyway as an experiment. I know a car body shop in town that have a sand blasting box and I might ask if I can 'borrow' it for a bit. Plus, I'm planning to make my own sand blasting set-up and I'm already collecting the parts I'll need to make it happen.

As they say, watch this space!