Coleman 238b manual

Discussion in 'Fettling Forum' started by Mantis, Nov 3, 2012.

1. Mantis

Having not found anything on the forum, does anyone have a manual including parts diagram for a Coleman 238b. I'm currently fettling a 238b that is complete but would like to get an electronic copy of the manual. Any assistance will be much appreciated.

2. Wim

Wim Subscriber

Hi, I have a bi-lingual (French-Flemish) leaflet for the 238B lantern including a parts diagram. Being a complete illiterate re computers, I'll ask The Missus if she can spare some time to scan this for me. Might take a while as she's rather busy at the mo.
    Does your lantern have the bi-lingual text on it? As far as I know these were made for the Belgian army, don't know if they were sold to the public.

Best regards,

Wim

3. Mantis

Hi Wim,

This lantern does not have any lighting instructions on the collar other than stating that it is for paraffin. It did not have a metal instruction plate as there are no attachment holes. I shall post photos soon once I have finished fettling it and have fired it up. This model of lantern was sold in NZ and I have seen five so far over the last several years, but all sold for high prices beyond what I was prepared to part with.
    Cheers
    Clive

4. dmacp

I'm fortunate enough to own one of these beasts, mine came out of Canada and has the original box. I'm not sure but doubtful the original owners pamphlet is with it. I shall pull it out and check. Possibly the "dirty Coleman papers" web publication has one, otherwise I would certainly be interested in seeing yours.
    Very Best Wishes
    Dan M

5. Mantis

Hi Dan,
    Had a look at the Coleman collectors site but no info for the 238b. Yep will post photos in the gallery once I have it finished and going.
    Thanks
    Clive

6. Mackburner

Mackburner United Kingdom Founder Member Subscriber

PM me with an email address and I will send you the leaflet. No instructions but it does have parts diagrams. ::Neil::

7. Mantis

Here is the reconditioned lantern, cleaned and pressure tested. I am waiting on getting some tank sealer as I want to prevent any chance of it rusting in the seams, not that there is any problem at the moment. Once this has been done I will fire it up.
    1352522427-238b.jpg 1352522457-238b1.jpg 1352522478-238b2.jpg 1352522545-238b3.jpg

Attached Files:

8. JEFF JOHNSON

JEFF JOHNSON United Kingdom Subscriber

Excellent find and shiney too! :thumbup: :clap: :clap: :thumbup: Jeff.

9. Erwin Germany

Hi all.
    I wasn't active here at all for quite some time but I hope I'll find the time to look more often. :D
    I've a 238B as well, cleaned mine and put it to work a few weeks ago.
    The full story is HERE .
    A summary of the lanterns I know of (plus some speculation) is at the end of the thread.
    Happy collecting, Erwin. :)

1352901444-238B-019.jpg

Attached Files:

10. loco7lamp

loco7lamp Subscriber

Hi Erwin :thumbup:

Good to see you back here & glad your back in the swing of things 8) :D :thumbup:

Very tasty lamp 8) :clap: :clap: :D :thumbup:

Stu :D :thumbup:

11. Flygt

Nice lantern Erwin, how is the upper part of the aluminum ventilator attached to the lower, spot welded or several short continuous welds ?

12. Erwin Germany

Hia again.
    The upper part is riveted with 4 very small rivets to the vertical (and bent horizontal) supports.
    Hope this helps.
    Greetings, Erwin.

13. Flygt

Thanks Erwin, yes that helps a lot. If you have time I'd like to see photos of the rivet setup, I guess the rivets go all the way through the upper vent section. Cheers, Ken

14. Erwin Germany

Hi Ken.
    Here the details of the vent.
    Hope this is of help.
    Happy lighting, Erwin.
    1352970393-vent-1.jpg 1352970404-vent-2.jpg 1352970414-vent-3.jpg

Attached Files:

15. Sparkybr549

Can you send me a copy?