Coleman 238b Prince

Discussion in '238, 239A, 240' started by Mantis, Nov 24, 2012.

1. Mantis

Well this lantern has certainly been a problem teenager from the outset and tested all my fettling skills.
    It arrived in a sorry filthy state and had a patch of rust on the underside of the tank :( . So on dissembling the lantern I got to and ground the rust off, using a small grinding bit to take out the rust like a dentist. Thankfully the rust had not gone even half way through the bottom plate. I then covered the pock marks with araldite, sanded this back and the finished it off with several coats of anti-rust paint. Then poured in tank sealer to ensure that no rust would occur inside.
    Then straightened out the aluminium frame and set work on to the rapid lighter. First up I had to solder the base nut 333 (as seen in attached diagram) to stop it leaking where it went into the tank. After some period of playing around with the rapid lighter without getting any fuel to flow through, only air, I finally resolved the problem :p . The mixer disk (part 355) was loose, so by putting in a custom rubber washer underneath it, it sealed it for the fuel to come through while also allowing air to come through from the tank. Once this was sorted out, I gave the rapid lighter several test runs before placing a mantle onto the lantern.
    The pictures show the rapid lighter in action. I left it to preheat for at least 30 seconds before lighting the lantern. As you can see, these photos have been taken in full sunlight so this is truly a powerful light. Finally the problem teenager has been straightened out and is working nicely as it should do :clap: .
    For those interested in manufactured date: Jan 1951 in Canada.

1353722134-PB240462.jpg 1353722149-PB240465.jpg 1353722166-PB240466.jpg 1353722186-PB240470.jpg 1353722208-PB240468a.jpg 1353722230-Rapid_lighter.JPG

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 31, 2017
  2. Flygt

That's starting to look nice NZ, good work on the ventilator. As far as I can see the steel bails on this era of Canadian lanterns were plated, probably with nickel but a good polishing and high temperature lacquer clear coat would keep the bail looking shiny for the next several decades. I've seen a few 238's show up in NZ, if you find another I'd like a chance to get it from you.

3. David Shouksmith

David Shouksmith United Kingdom Founder Member

OK, chaps - form an orderly queue behind Flygt. I'm next! :lol:

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 31, 2017
  4. Dan D

Dan D Subscriber

A seriously good looking and unique lantern.

You've done a splendid job of restoration. :thumbup: :thumbup:

I'm behind David...

Dan

5. mr optimus

mr optimus United Kingdom Subscriber

Hi nzlantern first class restoration,on your 238 it looks as though it has never been used.
    And a good idea useing areldite to cover the pock marks,the areldite will add extra strength to the tank base, and prevent any rust from forming.
    It is all ways well worth useing a tank sealer like por15 on a teel tank,even if there is no rust on the inside,this will prevent and give extra protection to the inside of a steel tank.
    It is worth waiting, to have several steel tanks to seal,to make it wore economical

6. JEFF JOHNSON

JEFF JOHNSON United Kingdom Subscriber

That's a very smart looking lantern! :thumbup:

7. Mantis

The 238b is not rare but certainly an uncommon model in NZ. In seven years of collecting this is the fifth lantern I have come across and the only one I have been able to purchase.
    Despite the hype that seems to surround this model I have to confess I am not overly impressed with Coleman's use of an aluminium frame, it is far too light a construction and prone to being easily put out of shape, as was done by the previous owner.
    Well if I do happen to secure any other 238b lanterns I will keep you all in mind :D

8. Erwin Germany

Hi NZ.
    Very nice work and great success!
    Your lantern looks super and works very well. :clap:
    I've run mine a couple of hours at a private gathering today. The preheater works better than on a Petromax. :thumbup:
    I've production data on 17 lanters already, ranging from 1949 - 1957. I hope I'll get some more data.
    Happy lighting, Erwin.

9. Flygt

The original cardboard shipping box would probably have contained a funnel, wrench and spare mantles. If you need the correct decade 'Made in Canada' aluminium funnel send a message.

cheers, Ken

10. Big BTU

thats not a generator you see everyday. I wonder why all the extra metal when a regular does the job so well?

Great job on the fettle! :thumbup: looks very nice indeed.