Coleman 238B rapid heater

Discussion in 'Fettling Forum' started by hans_4, Oct 29, 2018.

1. hans_4 Belgium

I bought a very dirty Coleman 238B today. After dissasembly I discoverd that the rapid heater has been soldered very badly. I removed as much solder as possible and now the threaded part (red arrow) rotates in the tank but I can't seem to remove it.
    Does anyone know how it is attached on the inside?

IMG_20181029_155523.jpg IMG_20181029_225026.jpg IMG_20181029_234859.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 30, 2018
  2. Henry Plews

Henry Plews Subscriber

Hello Hans and welcome to the forum. I don't have a 238B but on most lanterns, the rapid heater is fitted into the tank and held with a nut which is then sealed with solder before the base plate is fastened in. It should be possible to solder around the fitting to hold it in place but make sure everything is as clean as possible, including the inside of the tank so that the solder will have a good hold.

Henry.

3. phaedrus42

phaedrus42 Subscriber

Congratulations on your 238B, Hans!
    In Coleman terminology your problem is called a spun bung. It is also quite a common occurrence on the 500 stove.
    The fix is as Henry said: clean and flux well and re-solder. While you are at it, it may be a good idea to re-do the other two bungs too.
    Coleman appear to have economised on solder with some of these lamps and stoves ;)

By the way, the bail on your 238B is probably not original. It could be from a late 1960s 237A or perhaps from a 201.
    The correct bail is the exact same as the 1950s 236 and 237.

4. JEFF JOHNSON

JEFF JOHNSON United Kingdom Subscriber

Welcome aboard!:thumbup:

5. hans_4 Belgium

Finished the lamp today. not the best soldering but its airtight.

IMG_20181105_195258.jpg IMG_20181105_211027.jpg IMG_20181105_211412.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 13, 2018
  6. ROBBO55

ROBBO55 Subscriber

G'day Hans, the soldering looks fine :thumbup: . The lantern has cleaned up nicely and is burning brightly. Congratulations :clap:

7. Henry Plews

Henry Plews Subscriber

Well done. The repairs are mostly hidden by the collar, so I wouldn't worry too much about them. The main thing is that the lantern lives again.

Henry.

8. adelcoro

adelcoro Subscriber

Great work to save this old gem.
    Even though this lantern was made in Canada, it is practically impossible to find one here.
    Toronto produced this model to compete with the European Kerosene models like Optimus and petromax.

9. hans_4 Belgium

It's the first time I saw one in Belgium too, I don't know why they are so rare since the Belgian army used them before they switched to Petromax.
    The lighting instructions on the collar are in French and Dutch so I think this was a military one.

10. Wim

Wim Subscriber

I typed the following this afternoon, but something went wrong with posting it.....

"They never caught on in Europe, other than a contract for the Belgian army in the early 1950s not many were sold on the old continent. Sometimes a well worn example pops up in Asia. I don't know for sure when Coleman had their Col-Max build in China but that sure killed all sales for their own 238b model. The Col-Max is about as good as any other lantern made in China, one should not expect to much of it!

Best re"

Yes @hans_4 , yours is an ex-Belgian Army one, I had the luck to find an unfired one a few years ago. Since then, I've not found another one. I'd like to find a used one and keep this one in a virgin state.

Best regards,

Wim