Coleman 239E (Veritas Superb Rebadged) Fettle

Discussion in 'Fettling Forum' started by AussiePete, Dec 7, 2019.

1. AussiePete

AussiePete Australia Subscriber

Hi All

Preamble
    Sometime in the 1950s, Coleman released an English made Veritas Superb after rebadging it the Coleman 239E and calling it the “Ranger”.
    There was obviously an agreement between Coleman and the Falk, Stadelmann Co., the manufacturers of the Veritas lanterns, however I have not been able to find any references to the agreement.
    So this Coleman 239E remains an enigma to me and I suspect to others.

There appears to be very scant written evidence of the Coleman 239E Ranger however the fact remains, it does exist.

In March 2019 via eBay, I purchased the Veritas Coleman 239E from an Australian collector.

B1B87701-0795-46B2-A18B-E397BA496EAF.jpeg
    9A043FD8-CACA-4D13-908D-4027DABA1132.jpeg

The Fettle
    The 239E, as bought, was in very good condition. It needed very little work to get it to operate.
    The following is the description of the lantern’s fettle.

The lantern was dissembled into its component parts.

0E5519DB-86BE-4139-A23D-317B08B90953.jpeg

Other than the burner’s manifold, it being very clean and bead blasted, all the parts were given a clean in soapy warm water. The generator was dissembled and via the heat /quench method any coke was removed. I have to say, there was very little carbon build up evident. The pricker’s rod was cleaned from carbon residue. All the parts were subsequently given a clean in the ultrasonic cleaner.

The bail was cleaned of surface corrosion and polished with Mother’s Mag cleaner.
    To provide protection to the fount from the bail’s impact, I fitted black heat shrink to the bail.

11C08B66-9426-4CB7-90C4-92C4A2A1A496.jpeg

I like to use the no glue type heat shrink because it heat forms to the bail’s curve without wrinkles, remains in place and can be readily removed with a sharp blade whilst providing very good protection to the fount.

1733AAB8-DA53-4C77-816C-0FBAAB464BF8.jpeg

The original Veritas bulged globe was missing however a straight sided Primus globe was provided with the original sale. This Primus globe fits and works well.
    Note: The original Veritas Superb globes appear to be very hard to procure ......... perhaps one day one will surface.

The lantern was reassembled into the Coleman 239E Ranger. The generator seal to the fuel manifold was hard and brittle. I replaced it with a Tilley generator’s seal that fitted perfectly.

3B049549-6D92-46FF-915D-9B2ADEF961F4.jpeg

The Money Shot
    I used a Peerless model 111 mantle. This mantle is a larger/longer mantle selected to provide adequate heat to the generator.

I put about a litre of kerosene into the fount and applied about 20 pumps of pressure. I then filled the preheat spirit cup with methylated spirits, and lit it.
    Just as the remnants of the methylated spirit burnt off I opened the fuel control valve. The lamp lit into life.

D825317D-04F6-4220-AD67-281EA0F9890C.jpeg

After the mantle ignited I applied a 50 pumps worth of pressure to the fount and the following picture is the satisfying result.

B210F318-C97F-4F7D-AA90-8E81CDDBC832.jpeg

Summary
    The lantern is in very good condition. I found that this lantern lit very easily and with no fuss. It behaved like the lady she is.

I’m aware that these Veritas lanterns have a reputation of being temperamental, however with this example, I found no evidence of this.

It’s a rare lantern, it runs and behaves very well. It’s a keeper.

Thank you for looking
    Cheers
    Pete

Last edited: Dec 7, 2019
  2. AussiePete

@ColinG and @Norman Well, with you both working on your Veritas Superbs I was motivated to get my Ranger up and running.
    Thanks for the motivation, I like this lantern very much.
    Cheers
    Pete

3. Alex Smith

Alex Smith United Kingdom Subscriber

Pete, some inspirational fettling as ever! Good job. Regards, Alex

4. AussiePete

5. Tony Press

Tony Press Australia Subscriber

Stinkpot Bay, Howden, Tasmania, Australia
    Great work, Pete.

Cheers

Tony

6. ROBBO55

ROBBO55 Subscriber

Congratulations Pete, looks good. :thumbup:

7. ColinG

ColinG United Kingdom Subscriber

Nice work, Pete. That's a looker!

When I first got my Superb (thanks Norman!) I was struck by how similar the setup was to Coleman lamps so I guess it made sense from that perspective but wouldn't they have had a similar lamp of that general type? Anyhow, they work well in my experience and both my Superbs start extremely easily (even the one with a stress crack) and the mantles start to glow without me having to do anything and I think @Norman has found the same thing.

Good luck finding a genuine globe - they're as rare as hen's teeth and I haven't found a pot-bellied alternative tat fits. There is a frosted globe that kind of fits but it's a about 10mm short. It's a shame Coleman never made a rounded 220/285 globe as that would have fitted.

8. JEFF JOHNSON

JEFF JOHNSON United Kingdom Subscriber

Well fettled Pete and I do like these detailed posts!:thumbup::clap::clap::thumbup:

9. Norman

Norman United States Subscriber

Well done Pete. Thank you for the detailed and well documented presentation.
    She looks great and runs as she should.

I light my Superb on a regular basis and run it for several hours without any problems.
    I use an Amish mix with my Superb but I'm sure she would run just fine on straight kerosene.

Just in case you are interested there is an original glass globe for the Superb on ebay UK, but it is quite expensive.

Cheers,
    Norman

10. AussiePete

@Norman
    Thanks mate.
    I just bought that Veritas Superb globe from England on eBay ........ I couldn’t resist it and who knows when another will surface. :?
    Thanks for pointing me to it.
    Cheers
    Pete

11. ColinG

I'm glad it went to a genuine collector who will value it and as you say, who knows when another will turn up?

12. JohanOptimus

JohanOptimus South Africa Subscriber

Well done Pete, and congratz on finding the correct globe. Good teamwork Norman.

13. Norman

Hi Pete,

You're welcome.

It is good this glass is going to someone that will take very good care of it.
    These Veritas glass globes do show up on ebay UK once in a while.

Cheers,
    Norman

14. george

george United States Subscriber

Nice work, Pete! These lanterns are not easy to find. The only one I can remember seeing was on Terry Marsh's site.
    :thumbup:8]

15. AussiePete

@george
    I just had a look at the Terry Marsh site ...... and my lantern is the actual one displayed.
    I’m now the new owner, awesome. :D/
    Cheers
    Pete

16. george

george United States Subscriber

Great, Pete! I have numerous pictures of some of my lanterns on Terry's site. I thought that lantern was possibly yours; going by the decal/transfer on the fount.
    :lol::thumbup:

17. Lant-ern

Peter I must say that lantern is awesome and may be {is } the rarest I've ever seen....
    Ernie

18. AussiePete

Thanks @george, I was surprised to see on Terry’s site and @Lant-ern thanks you, I’m honoured to be the current custodian.
    Cheers
    Pete

19. Alex74

Alex74 United Kingdom Subscriber

That’s a lovely looking lantern. Well done!

20. newfie

Awesome work. It looks beautiful.

21. AussiePete

@ColinG and @Norman
    Look what arrived today from good old Blighty .......
    7A59BD73-4754-4AE6-87B3-BA37D02612E5.jpeg
    The genuine Veritas Superb globe. It certainly makes her look great. :D/

Thanks again Norman for giving me the heads up on this globe.
    I’m as happy as a dog with 2 ........ male appendages :lol::lol:
    Cheers
    Pete

22. Norman

Hi Pete,

You are welcome and might I add she looks great with the proper glass.:clap::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

Pete I'm curious is a dog with two male appendages anything like a three peckered goat?:lol::shock:

Cheers,
    Norman

23. ColinG

That really finishes it off perfectly! It's a real shame Coleman never made a barrel shaped globe that size... actually, what globe did Coleman use on the re-badged Superb/Ranger?

24. AussiePete

@Norman yes I do think that these animal variants are closely affiliated, and by all dubious accounts, quite uniquely happy with their afflictions. :)

@ColinG The original Coleman rebadged Ranger, I believe, used the Veritas Superb globe. However, I’m wondering if the Veritas logo etched on the globe remained on the Coleman rebadged lamp globes :-k There is no documentation to verify one way or the other.
    Cheers
    Pete