Coleman 242B Gasoline - Operating Instructions

Discussion in 'Fettling Forum' started by AussiePete, Feb 25, 2018.

1. AussiePete

AussiePete Australia Subscriber

Hi all
    Just purchased a Coleman 242B Canadian Sport Lite 1949 vintage and it’s marked for Gasoline only.
    I’ve only keroscene lanterns, so my experience is nil with these gasoline lamp types.
    My questions are:
    1. How do I safely operate and light this lantern?
    2. What fuel, standard unleaded?
    3. Any other hints and pointers?
    Looking forward to your learned replies.

Cheers
    Peter

2. David Shouksmith

David Shouksmith United Kingdom Founder Member

Shellite, I think you call it down under... :)

3. phaedrus42

phaedrus42 Subscriber

Regular unleaded gasoline will work but is not recommended because it will block up the generator in a short time.
    Because white gasoline/shellite/Coleman Fuel is more volatile and flammable than paraffin/kerosene, a leak or spill could more easily result in a fire than is the case with kerosene/paraffin.
    Ensure the fuel cap seal, fuel valve graphite packing and generator jamb nut are leak free before using the lantern.
    Fill the fount about 3/4-4/5 with fuel.
    Check & clean up fuel leaks or spills before lighting.
    Check that fuel cap is tight and fuel cans are closed and far away before lighting.
    Never open fuel cap while lamp is lit or even hot, or in the vicinity of other lit lamps or flame.
    Make sure fuel valve is closed and then pump up the fount.
    Rotate pricker control a few times.
    Light lighter or match and put flame in lighting hole before opening fuel valve.
    Then open fuel valve approx. 1/4 turn and wait to hear hissing/spitting. If the lighter flame goes out, close fuel valve, insert flame again and open fuel valve again. It may take quite a few seconds before you hear the spitting sound.
    You may need to rotate the pricker some more, especially with a well used generator.
    Lamp will light.
    After lamp has lit and burns smoothly, open fuel valve all the way.
    You may then need to pump more pressure.
    To shut off, close fuel valve. It may take a minute or two for the flame to die.
    Do not open fuel cap before lamp has cooled off. There may still be a little flame in the burner long after you think it is out.

Last edited: Feb 25, 2018
  4. David Shouksmith

David Shouksmith United Kingdom Founder Member

That's true of course, but these lanterns are intended to run on the more volatile fuel and thus have several safety features incorporated into the design. Using them is no more dangerous than driving your car using the more volatile fuel. Any accidents are most likely to be caused by operator error/complacency/stupidity (i.e. desire to win a Darwin Award by eliminating oneself from the gene pool) during fuelling. Just observe sensible precautions as you would with any flammable liquid - no naked flames etc.

When I'm camping (very rare these days) I find that a useful feature - you can turn off the lantern and you've still got a couple of minute's light to get yourself settled in bed. :thumbup:

5. george

george Subscriber

Regular unleaded will work in a 242. That's the only regular gasoline we can buy here. If you can even find leaded fuel it is not recommend for this lantern.[-X It's a damn good lantern. I have probably 5 or 6 of them, models 242, 242A, 242B, and the 242C, and they all run just fine. NO KEROSENE fuel in this lantern!!!:oops: This model is for gasoline only. a Coleman 247 or the 249 are basically the same lantern but designed to run on Kerosene. They have a few parts that differ and that's about all. Easy enough to light, just close the fuel valve, make sure the tank cap is tight, pump in recommended pumps, open the fuel valve a 1/4 turn, stick a lighted match under the mantle and it should light. After it lights and is burning brightly, turn the valve open as far as possible and you're set.:) One word of caution: before doing any pumping make sure the fuel valve operates as it should. Screw it out as far as it will go. It should not fall out of the lantern but stop (you should meet some resistance) if you don't, you wind with a lap full of fuel! and one hellva bond fire right on your work bench!:doh:I mention this because I've had it ALMOST happen to me!:oops:

6. george

george Subscriber

Just another thought... The Coleman 252 military lantern was suppose to run on leaded or unleaded fuel. However, in the instructions they recommend unleaded fuel....:-k They realized no matter what kind of generator (vapourizer) was used it would still eventually stop up and have to be replaced.:idea:

7. phaedrus42

phaedrus42 Subscriber

Well stated, David. Once the fuel is closed up in the fount, the lanterns are quite safe to use.

It always bears saying however, that because many of the devices we use are very old and have unknown provenance, it is always advisable to give them a thorough going over to be as certain as possible that they will not fail catastrophically when we use them. Neils experience with the petrol lamp comes to mind.

8. ROBBO55

ROBBO55 Subscriber

G'day Pete, David is right. It's best to run the lantern on Shellite (also sold as solvent Recosol R 55). It's the equivalent of Coleman fuel.
    The 242B is a good little lantern. :thumbup:

9. Tony Press

Tony Press Australia Subscriber

Stinkpot Bay, Howden, Tasmania, Australia
    @AussiePete

1. As @ROBBO55 says, use “Shellite” (=Recosol 55) here in Australia. It costs an arm and a leg in small quantities. I buy it through Bunnings in 20litre drums.

2. Doron Pappo has great information and detailed lighting instructions for Coleman gasoline lanterns here:

The Old Town Coleman Center and Museum: Lighting a Lantern

3. I use long (BBQ) matches or a wick that I’ve made.

Cheers

Tony

10. toad of the cape

toad of the cape Subscriber

Hello Tony, great wee lantern, not hard to master I have two a 36 and 48, enjoy the world of quick lighting.
    warm regards Toad aka Alex

11. Asbestos

Asbestos Subscriber

These are safe, but the volatility is significantly different then kerosene/paraffin/diesel. A bit of diesel on the work bench may well not catch fire, a bit of CF almost certainly will. Just as one does not use automobile fuel to start a bonfire (unless they are making a you tube video )

I wish we could get it in 20 liter can. But we can get it in 1 US gallon cans for $8 US which makes it about 2 1/2 to 3 times what auto fuel goes for. but still cheaper that paraffin at the store.

12. AussiePete

Thanks ever so much for all your information and encouragement. I will be fettling this beastie soonish and when it’s done I’ll post it with pictures of it lit.
    In the mean time I need to get some parts for it.
    Once again, thanks
    Cheers
    Peter

13. toad of the cape

toad of the cape Subscriber

AussiePete, how did you go with 242b,still got eyebrows.only kidding.
    regards Alex

14. Reese Williams

15. AussiePete

Got the parts from Mike (OCP) and used Shellite, works like a beauty, very pleased with it. Thanks to you all for the advice.