Coleman 242B Quiet Mouse

Discussion in 'Fettling Forum' started by Clive, Oct 28, 2020.

1. Clive New Zealand

So - in complete contrast to the Coleman 249 Flamethrower the other dump-lantern-find was a 242 B. I put some white gas in it and pumped it up, gave it a go!

It's a quiet wee mouse, is this 'normal' operation, should I buy a globe and put a mantle on this one?

It needs a new cap washer, and it's missing a small screw that holds (one of two) the pump collar thing.

F8A66006-3C14-44B3-9521-33B69B71F22A_1_105_c.jpeg FEA046C3-190F-4DF9-93C2-94147BF74F9C_1_105_c.jpeg 92A22F64-CBDF-4AA2-8F44-8B80A084ECAB_1_105_c.jpeg

2. Tony Press

Tony Press Australia Subscriber

Stinkpot Bay, Howden, Tasmania, Australia
    Get it going.... these are good lanterns. :thumbup:

Cheers

Tony

3. Paul Aslanides

Paul Aslanides Australia Subscriber

Yes, they are good lanterns. Mine's a little beauty.
    And yes, I need some of those little screws too, as they are common to the 242, 249, and 500 stove.
    The gentleman at Classic Fasteners in Adelaide advised me that they are #4 x 36 tpi., an old U.S.A. size. Also used on model trains years ago. I did find them listed on the internet, but they were out of stock. If anyone finds a source, would they kindly let us know ? Thanks.
    Paul. Melbourne.

4. Fireexit1

Fireexit1 United Kingdom Subscriber

5. Paul Aslanides

Many thanks. Very good. But I'll never use 100, only need half a dozen at the most. Conundrum !
    Are there any members in Australia willing to share a packet ? Or can supply me with two only ?
    Thanks. Paul. Melbourne.

6. James

James Subscriber

The flame is way too small. Is there decent pressure in the tank? Probably a blockage somewhere, maybe a bit of carbon deposit stuck in the jet.

7. Fireexit1

Fireexit1 United Kingdom Subscriber

If it needs a new cap washer, my first insinct would indeed be low pressure.

8. george

george United States Subscriber

Agree, get it going! I have a couple of 242's that run so quiet I think I'm going deaf at times! This should clean up nicely!:D/:thumbup::thumbup:

9. Clive New Zealand

Thank you @James good to have that hunch validated. I think I’ll break this one down a little more. Updates to come.

10. Clive New Zealand

11. Tony Press

@Paul Aslanides

Ring around the model shops. They should sell them in small packets or singly.

Tony

12. AussiePete

AussiePete Australia Subscriber

Hell Yeah!!!
    Get her going .....
    These are great lanterns, excellent runners.
    Enjoy
    Pete

13. Clive New Zealand

Well, that was simple! The pricker is bent and not pricking, so cleaned the jet, ran carb cleaner through bits and bobs, and hello! A lantern. White gas is much nicer that kerosene isn't it...

Also - this wee lantern goes nice and bright and white with a few pumps, and then after a while slows down and goes more yellow light - normal operation
    IMG_6586.jpeg

14. AussiePete

AussiePete Australia Subscriber

@Clive
    Nice one mate, well done.
    Now on to the next one :D/
    Cheers
    Pete

15. ROBBO55

ROBBO55 Subscriber

G'day @Clive , no, it shouldn't dull down that quickly.
    These lanterns take a lot of pressure. As another member once said "pump until your thumb hurts ".
    If it's not pressure related then there is a leak somewhere. Probably the filler cap seal.

16. Tony Press

If you’re thinking the light output is better with Coleman Fuel (= Shellite), it shouldn’t be. Your 249 and your 242 should be putting out the same amount of light if all’s going well. If the mantles are different, you may be seeing different tones of light.

Cheers

Tony

17. Kiwi

Kiwi Subscriber

It is looking very nice Clive. the pricker wire you can straighten, I lay it in a flat surface and use my thumb nail to smooth it out. others are clever with pliers.
    By the way being a 1947 it is the first of the Canadian nickel plated founts after WW2, it looks like it still has its aluminium air tubes, the older style pump boss
    and while the Globe is not the original it is the second best and very desirable. I think this particular configuration may be uncommon to the rest of the world.
    I have one but replaced the burner frame because the aluminiun air tubes were so corroded, I have found a correct frame in good condition and will fit it.
    I have never been that keen on 242's because of the cost of fuel in NZ.
    I have recently found a source in Auckland of a compatable fuel for close to the price of the cheapest kerosene available.
    I value my 30's and early 40's 242's but 1947 is probably the only later model that I would desire to own.
    Yours will restore well, treasure it.

Geoff
    Kiwi

18. Paul Aslanides

Thanks, Tony & Clive. I tried 3 big model shops today by phone - no joy. May have to take vernier & thread gauge and hunt through their boxes of loose screws, their time and patience permitting. Cheers.

19. James

James Subscriber

"then after a while slows down and goes more yellow light"

How long would you say before it goes yellow? Might be caused by a lack of pressure, maybe a leak somewhere or not enough pumping. Or perhaps the jet has become partially blocked. You really need a working cleaning needle with these lanterns.

Otherwise I would say a bad fuel air mix. Check to make sure the inners of the burner are clean and there are no cobwebs or stuff that might obstruct the air flow. The generator may also be worn out so I would think about treating it to a new one as they are readily available.

Last edited: Nov 1, 2020