Coleman 242C

Discussion in 'Lamp Action Gallery' started by Buckaroo, Nov 25, 2020.

1. Buckaroo

Buckaroo Australia Subscriber

Haven’t posted on here for a while, time to light up a favourite...

5BB890D8-F649-4AAD-89EF-6C6E1453E635.jpeg

2. Jean J

Jean J Subscriber

I’ve never been a lover of Tilley lanterns but must admit to having a soft spot for these wee Colemans.

3. JEFF JOHNSON

JEFF JOHNSON United Kingdom Subscriber

That does the job!:thumbup:

4. Paul Aslanides

Paul Aslanides Australia Subscriber

Greetings, all. Would someone please explain - what is the difference between a Coleman 242 A, B, and C ?
    Is it easy to tell them apart ? Do mixed parts create hybrids ? For the uninitiated, like me.
    Thank you. Paul.

5. Fireexit1

Fireexit1 United Kingdom Subscriber

Nice old Coleman !

6. Tony Press

Tony Press Australia Subscriber

Stinkpot Bay, Howden, Tasmania, Australia
    @Paul Aslanides

[Information below from @Mackburner ’s PLC and from the CPL Reference Gallery; plus other sources]

The time sequence for the Coleman 242 series (at least those made in the USA) is:

242: 1932-1935
    242A: 1935-1936
    242B: 1937-1942
    242C: 1942-1950

There are D & E 242s around but rare; and there’s the kerosene 242-K.

There are Australian-made Coleman 242Bs from the 1950s; Canadian ones from the 1930s through to the 1960s; and English from 1950s;

The 242 was 200cp, with a straight glass.

The 242A was the “Sports Lite” with bulge globe.

242B similar to 242A

242C ditto.

Cheers

Tony

7. MikeO

MikeO Subscriber

Got 4 or 5 hours to spare? Just kidding, and Tony supplied a good production date list. But you are absolutely correct that hybrids exist from owner repairs, factory repairs, and even factory issued hybrids that use up old parts or substituted another model's parts to complete the run. Coleman Canada was famous for that.

The 242 is easy to spot as it has the narrow brimmed vent, usually a pinned pump, and the drooped bail, although that changed mid-production to a rounded bail shoulder style.

The Canadian 242A and B are tougher to separate and look identical although early 242As won't have the slits in the vent--just bail holes. 242As have an open casting on the sides of the burner where the bail goes in. The collar on the 242A is blank, or has lighting instructions in English only, whereas on the B you'll find the short instructions in 3 languages.

No 242C in Canadian production so that's easy. US 242 production is a whole other game.

A cool little lantern with a million little differences over its production run. Just like Mattel used to say for their Hotwheels toy cars--"Collect them all!"

Mike.

Last edited: Nov 26, 2020
  8. Paul Aslanides

Thank you, gentlemen. Much appreciated. I have one 242 and two 249's, and bound to find some more.
    One of the 249's has a nickel plated fount, the other is faded green. The only suitable colour I can find to repaint it is a 'Hawthorn Green', there's an old can at a local hardware store. Would you have any recommendations for the paint, make & colour ? I would prefer a dark green to the pea soup green. Thanks. Paul.

9. Buckaroo

Buckaroo Australia Subscriber

There’s a lot of knowledge on here @Paul Aslanides , I’ve learned a hell of a lot from these guys over the past 12 months and people are always willing to share.

I love the small Coleman’s and I try to keep them original without repainting etc - just personal preference, each to their own.

Be careful - it’s a deep rabbit hole and once you’ve stepped inside it there’s no getting out!!

PS - this has been a great reference for me to understand what’s out there:
    http://intlccc.net/information/modelyear-reference/by-model/

And there’s examples of most in the lamp reference gallery on this site to help identify and understand the differences.

Happy fettlin’

10. Paul Aslanides

Thank you, Buckaroo. Yes, I sure like the little Colemans too. Very bright, they punch above their weight.
    And thanks for the link, I have much to learn. Cheers. Paul.

11. MikeO

MikeO Subscriber

That sounds like "seafoam" which is kind of the unofficial name for the colour. I think Coleman called it "light green" in some brochures. A 249 in seafoam is a pretty desirable colour scheme. It's a bit fragile as a paint but looks great buffed up with the brass peaking through in the worn spots. Pics please!

Mike.

12. Paul Aslanides

Yes, 'seafoam' is the term used in the U.S.A. To me it's a dull, flat green, and I must say I don't know how it could be buffed up. But that is the only example I have, and I would prefer the dark green gloss colour, same as the hood. Unfortunately the founts were badly dinted when I found them. One is Australian, the other two Canadian. Pics below. Cheers. Paul.

Attached Files:

13. MikeO

MikeO Subscriber

That 249 is a rare bear with the collar painted seafoam as well. Nickel was still in short supply so paint it was. The dark green vents are seen on them as well as seafoam vents.

Seafoam was never a high gloss paint, but any paint restoration compound like car collectors use will remove the thin layer of dirty and oxidized paint. Followed by a good car wax, they are quite striking when cleaned up. But it's your lantern so none of my beeswax! Lots of people would like to have that seafoam 249!

Mike.

Mike.

14. MYN

What I'm aware of is that Coleman would just state the basic finish of the paint or vitreous-enamel.
    For example, just green or red.
    I've not seen them being stated as light or dark green/red or seafoam, burgundy or any other specific shades. No colour codes too.

15. MikeO

MikeO Subscriber

Yes, that's correct. As I said above, seafoam is an unofficial name collectors have adopted. I'll have to hunt around a bit, but I'm sure a discussion about this years ago on the Coleman Collectors' Forum showed some literature with Coleman calling it light green. Maybe something in the US documents for the 234 & 235 lanterns? Just can't recall.

The closest colour match is apparently Rustoleum's "Reed Green". Sadly, not available in Canada.

Mike.

16. MYN

I've only seen light green being mentioned on Terry Marsh's site.
    I guess Coleman would have a lot of flexibility when it comes to the different shades of green over the earlier years.
    I'm not sure about the modern ones.

17. Paul Aslanides

Thank you, MikeO and Myn. And to think I had intended to paint that seafoam 249 ! Good thing I couldn't find any dark green paint. Very well, I'll leave it as it is, maybe a light buff up.

Many of these lanterns I bought in second-hand shops years ago, mostly I don't remember where. They have been sitting for years awaiting attention. Nowadays I try to keep an up to date record, easily done with just a small collection.

The last few acquisitions have been rather unlucky - 3 lanterns and 1 companion stove had been run on 'Lamp Oil' ; the devil of a job to clean them out and get them functioning properly.

Cheers. Paul.