Coleman 275

Discussion in '275, 275A' started by Norman, Aug 17, 2019.

1. Norman

Norman United States Subscriber

Hi there folks,

I had some spare time on my hands today so I decided to fettle a couple of my Coleman 275 lanterns.
    The first one I tried to work on had some major problems so I will work on this one some other time. The second one was in pretty good shape except the schrader valve needed to be replaced. It was a chore to remove the schrader valve but I finally got it out and replaced it with a new fuel resistant schrader valve.

This one is just the 275.
    DSC08931.JPG

Here are some shots of the lantern up and going.
    DSC08932.JPG DSC08933.JPG DSC08934.JPG

I do see why these are called a Turd because these lanterns either work great or they don't and those are the only options you have.

Cheers,
    Norman

2. Henry Plews

Henry Plews Subscriber

Looking good @Norman .

Many years ago when the 275 first came out and long before the thought of collecting had entered my head, I saw one in the window of a camping supplies shop here in the U.K., I remember thinking "what an ugly thing that lantern is" and "who on earth thought that that shade of brown was a good colour ?"

Henry.

3. Norman

@Henry Plews

Hi Henry,

You are quite correct in stating these lanterns are on the ugly side that's for sure. The brown color is why many call this lantern the turd because it's the same color of crap you'd find in a babies diaper.:lol:

Cheers,
    Norman

4. JEFF JOHNSON

JEFF JOHNSON United Kingdom Subscriber

Well fettled!:thumbup:
    Did you convert it to run on paraffin/kerosene?

5. Norman

Hi Jeff,

No on the conversion.
    It would be easy to do the kerosene conversion but in truth I'm not sure this old 275 turd is worth the effort.

Jeff thank you for your kind comment.

Cheers,
    Norman

6. JEFF JOHNSON

Did Coleman use O rings on the 275 instead of proper seals?

7. Johnathan Canada

Dual mantle and such a small font.... what were they thinking? What would the run time on full be for this lantern?

8. Norman

Hello Jeff,

The 275 has a good old fashioned control valve assembly with the pricker control built into the valve assembly. The schrader valve was a good idea but it turned out to be a total flop.

The Canadians learned from our mistake and started using fuel resistant schrader valves, but then they started using O-Rings on their control valve assemblies. There are very few people who would consider dismantling the lantern to service the lantern or replace O-Rings which most likely the owner of the lantern has no idea are being used.

For the life of me I can't understand why the Canadians went away from the tried and true old fashioned Coleman control valve assembly.

The Coleman 295 dual fuel, which is still being made, still uses the same old fashioned control valve which was used on the 275. Personally I prefer having separate pricker control.

As you already know I have a 295 which I converted to run on kerosene. I converted it to kerosene because I prefer kerosene not because I think the 295 is unsafe running on Coleman fuel. The 295 was designed to run on Coleman fuel.

Cheers,
    Norman

9. Henry Plews

Henry Plews Subscriber

@Johnathan the 275 doesn't have "High" and "Low" settings, it's either "On" or "Off".
    Font capacity (1 U.S. quart) and generator are the same as on 220 series lanterns so run time will be the same too.

Henry.

10. Henry Plews

Henry Plews Subscriber

@Norman I converted my (Feb. 1980) 275 to kero by simply swapping the generator with one from a 201 lantern and adding a spirit cup, it worked but I felt it could have been better. The 201 generator was a slack fit where it enters the air tube, so I transferred the coils, cleaning needle and gas tip from the 201 to the original generator tube - a noticeable improvement.

Henry.

11. JEFF JOHNSON

Hello Henry, that's an interesting fettle.:thumbup:

12. Henry Plews

Henry Plews Subscriber

Hello Jeff, Thanks, I found it interesting that the (relatively) slack fit of the 201 generator where it enters the air tube had such a detrimental effect on performance.

Overall, I'm pleased with the brightness and the advantage of being able to use a cheaper fuel, I just need to make a longer spout for my meths bottle as the existing one isn't long enough to reach the spirit cup and I have to remove the glass in order to prime the lantern.

Henry.

13. Norman

@Henry Plews

Hi Henry,

Well done on your 275 kerosene conversion.

There are a couple of different ways to convert the 275 to kerosene. If you have a Coleman 200 vaporizer then you can remove the jet/nipple and also use the rod with picker wire. The thread pattern on the jet/nipple is the same as what's on the 220 vaporizer and the cleaning rod with pricker wire is the same length as what's used for the 220 vaporizer. Wrap the 200 pricker rod with some brass mesh and push it into the 220 vaporizer and then use the jet from the 200 on the 220. As stated the thread pattern is the same so the jet from the 200 will thread into the 220.. By using the 220 vaporizer you will find that you have a proper fit into the air tube. The 275 uses a 220 vaporizer.

I had several used Coleman 214 vaporizers that I used to convert my 220 lanterns to run on kerosene. I used the jet and rod with pricker wire from the 214 for my kerosene conversion. The jet from the 214 will thread into the 220 vaporizing tube and then wrap the 214 rod with pricker with some brass mesh. It works great. Personally I think using the parts from the 214 vaporizer works much better but then I maybe wrong.

I do have several more of these 275 lanterns so the next on I rebuild may get converted to kerosene.

I do understand why you would want to convert a Coleman fuel lantern to kerosene. Well let's face it Coleman fuel, Naphtha or a good panel wipe is bloody expensive whereas kerosene is a much cheaper fuel to use and it's also much safer to use.

It is good to know there are others out there that will think outside the box once in a while.

Cheers,
    Norman

14. george

george United States Subscriber

To each his own... Mine (275) was NOS so I simply left it in the box, untouched... Never been a fan of these lanterns, but still, I wanted one. Now it sets on the shelf, in the box, untouched!
    ;)