Coleman 5A heater.

Discussion in 'Other Coleman Pressure Product' started by MrAlexxx, Jan 19, 2021.

1. MrAlexxx

MrAlexxx Subscriber

Apparently of 1930's vintage. Probably weighs in at around 30 pounds so it's not a lightweight. Found in the "wild" stored underneath someone's outside staircase. Exposed to the elements for a few months until it was decided that it had to go. Original paint suffered a bit because of that but all in all a real solid survivor. Was told by the PO that it had been in working condition when placed outside. Checked it over and had fuel in the tank and everything looked good so struck the match and followed the light up procedure on the tag inside the front cover and viola...it makes heat! Two of the radiants are broken on the bottom so not sure if I can do anything with them yet but burns and looks good. It really does put out some heat.

Alex

As found.

111.jpg

At home. I sure hope it's all there as I'd imagine parts are probably made of unobtainium. lol

222.JPG

Fuel tank INSTANT-LITE STARTER valve and main FUEL SHUT OFF valve.

333.JPG

Fuel tank gauge.

444.JPG

HOT BLAST CUP. Heater has the hot blast feature for preheating the large generator. Much like the feature used on the early Coleman stoves. It makes for an exciting light up. :)

555.JPG

Pump tank up to the correct operating pressure as on gauge. Light a match and place near the hot blast cup and open the INSTANT-LITE STARTER valve and the generator preheat ignites. Sounds like a small rocket engine. I hope it all goes as planned! lol

666.JPG

Was told by a knowledgeable person that it came equipped with a THERMO-SAFETY generator that will not allow fuel to pass unless the generator has been preheated for the required time. On the start up procedure it says preheat for 1- 1 1/2 minutes before opening the main FUEL VALVE. Heater burners as well as the three generator heater burners on the side of the casting facing the generator will now ignite. Heater flame can be controlled by turning the regulating valve in or out. When the heater appears to be burning with a nice blue flame close the INSTANT-LITE STARTER valve.

Burning without the radiants in place.

777.JPG

Front cover open. Burning with only 6 radiants in place.

888.JPG

Front cover closed.

999.JPG

In the dark. I think it looks pretty cool and yes it does put out some good heat.

1010.JPG

Last edited: Jan 19, 2021
  2. MrAlexxx

MrAlexxx Subscriber

Okay...apparently a 5B heater. Just how did I type that A??? Mod...please change to a B. Thank you. :)

Alex

3. presscall

presscall United Kingdom Subscriber

@MrAlexxx Lovely bit of kit Alex and beautifully described, pictured and presented.

I like the photo of it as found on location. It conveys something of the satisfaction of tracking it down and rescuing it.

A fine heater indeed.

John

4. Jean J

Jean J Subscriber

Could do with that one here this morning Alex, love it.

5. Sedgman

Sedgman Subscriber

Interesting and very functional piece of kit. :thumbup:

6. JEFF JOHNSON

JEFF JOHNSON United Kingdom Subscriber

Those were built to last!:thumbup:

7. ROBBO55

ROBBO55 Subscriber

A good find and it should clean up nicely . Congratulations :thumbup:

8. rollschmidts

rollschmidts Subscriber

I need my heart drops there. Congratulations on the very interesting part

9. James K

James K United Kingdom Subscriber

A great find you must be chuffed with that and like a few others I could do with that here right now.

10. Henry Plews

Henry Plews Subscriber

11. MrAlexxx

MrAlexxx Subscriber

@Henry Plews Thanks for that idea I never thought of looking there. I do need 8 more radiants for another older heater so I will keep my eyes open on EvilBay. Actually was given two radiants from a fellow collector just yesterday that work. One is an original Coleman radiant and the other is different but looks ok. The oddball radiant is on the far right. I will say this...this heater puts out some serious heat.

Alex

DSC09043.JPG

12. Henry Plews

Henry Plews Subscriber

@MrAlexxx

You're welcome.

As well as eBay, you could have a look here

Radiants